Warmth for the very tall?

I'm 6'9" (81 inches) and using a HH Expedition asym with the side zipper entry. I sleep like a big banana, and while that works well enough when its warm, my last trip snuck in a night in mid to low 40s with a substaned ~10mph breeze. I had a 20F down bag with me and made due with a camp towel as my bottom insulation layer. It worked better than I thought it might but it was still very hard to keep things in place and the CBS kept finding a way in. I've sence tried a foam pad in the backyard but it was to bulky on the pack so I'm looking at other options.

Right now I'm leaning towards a KAQ Potomac,
    or could be talked into a 3/4 UQ streched to around 60 inches / possibly a Phoenix,
    or maybe even try a X-Frame pad and see if I get better use out of my sleeping bag with that.

I'm in NC and suspect a lighter 3 season setup would work for 95% of the stuff I do currently. However, I may be taking a road trip to Alaska early next spring and would be likely be car camping a fair bit to get there. A setup that could be built up to handle near 0F weather would be ideal. I'm on a studnet's budget though so if I 'm hoping I can spend $200 or less and get down to 20F to start off. Am I on the right path? Any input, suggestions, or corrections would be welcomed.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Suggestions:

1. LONGER HAMMOCK!!!
    2. KAQ makes a wonderful uq and you should be able to custom order one. If not make one yourself. Tailor it to your size.

My 2cents...

I suspect proper fit plays a bigger role in the cold but this fit isn't as bad as you might think. I'm mostly legs and can curel up pretty well. I ball up to 60 inches but I cursh more of alot my bag that way too (stable but cold underneath). Steched out my legs want to float off the hammock a little with fewer points of contact (warm but less stable). The only real issue I've found with a short hammok is I'm prone to bigger shifts should I roll over - less angle on the setup, legs shifting over more material and so on. Would that be enough reason to get a different hammock when I sleep well enough now? What issues does the cold bring with it - air pockets due to the extra bend, difficulty staying on top of the UQ? I would be intrested to know what other green giants have found. But as I'm not unhappy (yet?) and with limited funds it will be hard for me to make that change with out specific problems to solve. Unless of cource it can be done cheep, then I'm all for it! (just can't sew well at all ... so extra $ for the learners curve there)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I am 6'4" and use a KAQ New River in tall size, works great for me down to around 30 degrees.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You can get a tablecloth at tableclothsfactory.com and make a bigger hammock and then go from there with the UQ an TQ. I think you will be much more comfortable. I can't even imagine someone 6'9" in an Expedition.

The tablecloth will only cost from $13-$18 depending on the size you get. The ends are already sewn, so you just need to whip the ends, and add suspension. I recommend you get the 90x132 crinkle taffeta $17.99 with free shipping. Also, many colors to choose from.
    Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Follow baja's advice. I am still trying to figure out how to get one for myself out to Guam without shipping charging an arm and a leg, but as far as bottom insulation a kaq full length will give you plenty of coverage. I am 6'2" and I use a "2/3" length with ok coverage.

I'm "only" 6' 6" and have used a treklight and a night owl without having to scrunch up. I've used a combo of pads and reflectix to get the right R value. You can always tape up CCF pads to make the size you need.

Images
    Speer Pea Pod or Polarpod.
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok

Remember, this price and weight includes a 9.5 ft long - or 10.5 long for PolarPod- TQ plus UQ in one unit. It is definitely longer even than you are!

• + New Posts