Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak U/B
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Windchill question

Hi all,

First post on this forum but a regular over at bushcraftUK.

Got my first hammock at the start of this year and love it - a simple Nomad travel hammock that is a bit small for me, squeezes my shoulders (6'6" and 235lbs) and last weekend tried out my underblanket for the first time.

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to look at some of the Hennessys and fell in love with the Safari Deluxe; if they hadn't been so hard to come by in the UK I'd have bought one by now. But last weekend, with the quilt, things all changed...

When I sleep in my Nomad, I sleep between the layers, like I'm in a pod. I find that this is MUCH warmer than sleeping with the top open as I get no windchill over the top of me.

With the Hennessy, or more pertinently the Warbonnet Blackbird which will be the one I probably go for, I'm curious how much windchill is encountered with the NoSeeUm mesh? Does it act in a way to deflect the breeze or is this something that I just have to factor in?

Mark.

P.S. - yes, I use a tarp - a HH Hex.
    Still learning after all these years...

Hammock
    Woodland Edge Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition
    Insulation
    Down under Quilt
    Images

Thumbs up Wind Chill

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum, I am a newcomer to the forum, and I'm from your side of the pond,anyway to answer your question, I dont think you can completely eliminate the wind over you, and why would you want to I find it very refreshing to raise my head and feel and smell the freshness, If you want you could try a bigger Tarp, anyway no doubt you will get some good advice from some of the more experienced members on here, so in the meantime Happy Hammocking. Bill
    Improvise, Utalise, Adapt and Overcome
    Look at, not What it is, But what it could Become.

Hammock
    WBBB - what else?
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak U/B
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks Bill.

I understand what you mean, but last weekend I had strong wing and 4* temps which makes for a pretty "refreshing" experience. I have a Hennessy Hex tarp - not sure they get much bigger than that... ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums!

The noseeum mesh on the Warbonnet does act to block the wind slightly, as well as slows the release of heat slightly, but I wouldn't count on it to be a major factor. I would build a sock, which would act just like your sleeping between the two layers of fabric on your Nomad, cuts the wind dramatically, and adds about 10* warmth. Material that the sock is made out of is key. See these threads for info on socks. There are a lot of threads on socks, but these two refer to other links and pics as well.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1833

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=359

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a huge amount of mesh in the Hennessy Safari Deluxe. While it cuts the breeze it would stop the wind. In other words, depending on how hard the wind is blowing it may help some. I would plan on making an overcover for the Safari. I don't think Hennessy makes one for that model. It would not be that hard to do. I made one for my Expolrer UL and it cuts the wind considerably. You don't want to restrict the air movement too much or you will end up with stale air in the hammock overnight. I doubt it would pose a danger of oxygen deprivation, but... well... let's just say my hammocks need airing out on a regular basis.

I had a Safari and liked it alot but I am not as big as you are and find the explorer better suited to my weight and build.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Another option, especially if you go with the Warbonnet, would be to get the Warbonnet Superfly tarp, which is basically a fully enclosed tarp tent with doors on the end. It's quite a bit larger than than the HH hex fly when you include the doors, but it should be darn effective at blocking wind, and also give you a nice protected area to do your cooking and whatnot when you're out of the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB - what else?
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak U/B
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks FF - it would seem that a sock is the way forward as I would only need it in winter. How would you envisage it working with the Blackbird though, with its wings?

Mustardman - yes, that would be an option but I really don't want to go down the route of a new fly if I can help it - I have too many already!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've laid in the Blackbird without staking the wings out. It's not quite as huge on the inside and the bug netting is looser, but it's otherwise fine. I would imagine you could tie the wings off under the hammock to pull the bug netting tighter depending on how you lay and how close the netting comes to your face.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    To manage wind in a hammock camp beyond good site selection larger tarps do a better job than hammock socks IMHO.

Larger tarps can be pitched to provide full side wind protection... Often they can be pitched to provide several full sides or near full sides of wind protection... They often manage condensation better than socks....They provide stand off distance to fluffy under quilts and pea pods, so that side wind does not push them against the insulation and cause compression issues....They, more often than not, weigh less than the combined weight of a smaller tarp and a hammock wind sock... They are simpler to rig... they provide easier access and egress for the hammock.

Additional large tarp options are any 12x10, Speer Winter Tarp, JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp.

Alternatively the JRB Hammock Hut is a full hammock tent that provides all of the benefits above, except slightly heavier at 1lb 12 oz, with great usable interior space/design.

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 11-18-2008 at 21:30.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    tripitika. pan makes a good point, a large or enclosed tarp is probably more versatile than a sock, especially if its raining or snowing. in the absolute worst weather, (blowing snow and severe cold) you would probably want both.

the blackbird blocks wind pretty well, their is a wall of fabric on your right that rises plenty high to block wind, and on the left , you can pitch the wing down to see out better or you can pitch it up more to create another wall of fabric on your left. like fishinfinn said, the hammock still works fine with the wings not staked.

the netting will hold in several noticeable degrees when it's cold out though. i am actually working on an overcover for the blackbird (for angrysparrow). this would convert the blackbird to a sock at nearly a half or third the weight of a whole sock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast