Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images

Reporting a post

Just my 2˘ here: Wouldn't it be better to have a reported post removed pending a review by a moderator? Don't know whether it's possible to set up the system so that a post will be removed immediately once someone reports it. Then, if the moderator thinks it okay, he/she can put it back. This would also save the moderators from getting multiple reports of the same post. Just thought I'd put it out there. Thanks for considering!

As always, thanks to ALL the moderators for making this wonderful forum possible!

P.S. Is a thread the best way to make a suggestion to the moderators?!? Don't want to abuse my "private message" privilege!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to have a reported post removed pending a review by a moderator?
    In some cases, yes. The majority of them, not so much.

Different people have different ideas of what's proper and what's not. Even the moderators sometimes debate items before consensus is achieved. It could also be abused if members were effectively allowed to delete posts/threads. That would create even more work for the mods by having to babysit or remove someone making reports out of spite.

The good news is, the bat-signal goes up every time there is a reported post. I would venture a guess that it is rarely more than an hour (if the timing is perfect) before a mod gets eyes on the post in question. Sometimes, they actually sit for a while (like the sewing machine thing overnight), but that is the exception. Usually, it's within a few minutes of reporting. When one of us addresses one that is in the "iffy" category, that mod just removes the post from the visible forum until the rest of us can talk about it and make a decision.

The Report Post button is extremely helpful to us and we strongly encourage its use when any member sees something they view as questionable. However, the decision to remove/delete posts, even temporarily, needs to reside with the mods...for a whole host of reasons. As it stands, the system is very easy to moderate and removes any bias on the part of the reporter. We like the KISS method when it works and in these cases, it works great. Besides, we're used to being called names for our decisions. No need for that joyful language to be passed along to other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    P.S. Is a thread the best way to make a suggestion to the moderators?!? Don't want to abuse my "private message" privilege!
    Either way is fine.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ...It could also be abused if members were effectively allowed to delete posts/threads. That would create even more work for the mods by having to babysit or remove someone making reports out of spite. ...
    I was speaking out of total ignorance about how often the "report" button is used. I definitely see your point. Thanks for responding.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's really no extra work when multiple members report a post, either. On the first report, a thread is created in a mod-only area...and then multiple reports of that same post just create separate entries in that same thread that say "SoAndSo has also reported this post." So it's literally no extra work at all.

Reporting posts also sends us an email that the forum needs attention, so even if we're not on the forum at the time, we know to check in when we can.

Members reporting posts really does help us keep up with the forum's maintenance...we can't read every post as quickly as the thousands of members can, so it helps direct us to the right place, right away.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion, though!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    What's this of the mod-only area?!! I've only heard of it as something of legend. But it does exist. Now how would one gain entrance (and the knowledge) of the mod-only area?!!

Seems that a simple removal before all else does complicate as much as letting the monkey's have more of a run of the facilities. KISS seems to be working. Another thumbs up here to you mods!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's a very exciting land where we get into excruciating detail on what appear to be mundane decisions that may actually have consequences we wouldn't like. And there's chocolate, too.

But you don't want to go there. It would be like peeking behind the curtain, or seeing Mickey Mouse without his full costume on, or Cinderella after a night of binge drinking. Would probably ruin your whole experience here.

Except for the chocolate.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres a pic of the last Moderators meeting..thats Cannibal in the bikini after a good wax job.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Here's a pic from the latest non-moderator gathering. There's me with the hair, after the bikini waxing, sporting the latest in topquilt/underquit/rain gear/lunch/tarp/dinner!!! I see how it is now!!!
    Last edited by Chard; 10-24-2012 at 18:45.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Heres a pic of the last Moderators meeting..thats Cannibal in the bikini after a good wax job.
    l . . . 0 . . . l
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I appreciate the little peak behind that curtain that you guys have given us. I certainly don't like to report posts unless it some sort of spam that is just ruining my good time here.

I've been annoyed by and disagreed, sometimes vehemently, with some of the posts that I've read but they were on topic so I try to keep any bad emotions in check while writing and remain respectful of everyone I'm interacting with, or I simply don't respond the thread/post.

I also remember that the only good kind of spam comes in a can, or handy foil packet.

I have been impressed with the response to the few posts that I've reported, even in the middle of the night when sensible folk are sleeping; they are generally taken care of in under an hour.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast