Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I used to be anti-bug net in favor of the but net's weight in added down.
    After seeing the Darien UL I may change my mind. It is so efficient in its
    use of bug net material it may tip the favor in degrees to having it in place
    for the shoulder seasons. Below 20F then the original argument holds that
    I'd rather have the bugnet's weight in down-even if only 1 ounce.
    You take the bugnet away on the Darien UL and I think you're left with a 6 to 7 ounce hammock. The hammock material appears to be the same used in the BIAS Weight Weenie Micro.

I can understand the attraction and popularity of integrated bugnets, but unnecessary weight is unnecessary weight when cold temps have sent the skeeters into irrelevance.

I also find the zipper on integrated bugnets to be incredibly annoying. I occasionally get a calf cramp and the pain is excruciating, so blinding that I can't even find the zipper. A bottom-entry independent bugnet certainly helps me get out of my hammock lickety-split in moments of panic. I just swing my legs out of the hammock and stand up.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    I was out on the AT in Maryland in mid September and I brought it but really didn't need it. You will definitely not need it in November. Usually the lightest ones weigh maybe 7oz? That's not a great weight to warmth ratio for a couple degrees added from it. If anything bring a sleeping bag liner for 4oz and add a solid 10 degrees to your system.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkytxn View Post
    I'm in Raleigh... I wouldn't expect skeeters up there in mid November, but it's more about the prevailing weather and location in my experience. I don't know that section of the AT, keep in mind that elevation makes a big difference in temperature. Neither am I an entomologist but I don't believe the little demons can fly below 50 degrees F.
    According to the NJ Mosquito Commission, "Mosquitoes function best at 80o F, become lethargic at 60o F and cannot function below 50o F."

http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/mosfaq.htm

My rule of thumb, as stated before, is that the skeeters are not much of a threat to me below 60 degrees. I have sweet blood and mosquitoes love me, but they just can't seem to attack me in weather below 60 degrees.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use the bugnet year round. Even in winter. When it isn't used as a bug net, it is extra insulation as some have stated. This allows me to use my quilts to lower temps than usual, thus saving extra weight.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I use the bugnet year round. Even in winter. When it isn't used as a bug net, it is extra insulation as some have stated. This allows me to use my quilts to lower temps than usual, thus saving extra weight.
    Not only this but I find it's not just for skeeters. I tried going without a couple of times and got tired of misc other flying things landing and crawling on me. I've only slept w/o it a small handful of times. As others have said, it does make it warmer.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post
    ok guys.....and I need to maybe hear from someone in the southeast....

At what point do you leave your bug net at home?.....we are planning a trip o the AT mid Nov. and we were talking about when do you leave the bug net at home?......Now....we seem to to think we are holding a few degrees in with a bug net.....maybe we are craze.
    First to second week of October usually does it for me. But there have been a few warm years that I needed it until November.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I mix it up. Last weekend it got down into the 20's and I didn't use the bug net on my WL Light Owl. This weekend it will be similar temps and I'm taking my Blackbird and putting on the BBO Top Cover. I find the bug net alone does help some in trapping some warmth in the hammock but the top cover does even more so. For me the best results though are in that 20F to 30F temp range for using the top cover. If it's any colder I've had condensation and frost on the bug net and top cover which is extremely annoying so the temp range I use the top cover in is pretty limited. I'd imagine you could still have frost issues on the bug net even with no top cover in cold enough temps so I never use my Blackbird for winter camping and prefer to go netless with my open top hammock. A bottom cover like the 2QZQ underquilt protector on the other hand is great in all temps though in my experience. I never have any major condensation issues (minor to nonexistent) with the underquilt protector and it is very effective in minimizing heat loss out of my underquilt system.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I try and leave a bug net home every chance I get to keep from carrying the extra ozs,,and make up the difference in warmth by carrying warmer quilts and clothes to wear in hammock,,no need for a bug net in winter, spring and fall as temps in the mts. drops at nite for no bugs to bother you. If you want a bug net for warmth,,make a sock to go over you or a cover of some type for added warmth, and a UQP for your bottom. You definitely pick up quite a few degrees for the added weight.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I like being able to see. Bug net is see-through, while a sock isn't. Just like all things hiking, if it works for you, do it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I'm planning on being in the Smokies this coming week for an overnighter--no bug net these days. After the frost comes there is usually no need for one. It may add some warmth, but I agree with SilvrSufr on not having any added annoyance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast