Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm starting my new Sleeping System from scratch.... Any Thoughts?

I'm starting from scratch after being a life long Tent Backpacker. Since moving to the East Coast and getting back into Hiking, I've noticed campsites along the Appalachian Trail can get crowded in and around the Shelters. So, I've decided to set up camp on my own terms. Hammock Camping seems to be the best alternative with leaving no trace behind. I'm listing my Wish List for a New Sleep System. I would appreciate any comments from End Users, and not from Industry Insiders pitching their products, if that makes sense. Based on my Research, here I go:

1) Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7

2) Warbonnet Yeti 3 Season Under Quilt

3) Warbonnet Mambu 3 Season Top Quilt

4) Hammock Gear Camouflage Cuben Fiber Tarp with Doors

5) Assorted Accessories

The main concern I have is Splashing and Condensation while using Goose Down Quilts. Please weigh in with any comments, suggestions, or tips. Need help on Assorted Accessories. Thanks a lot.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Nice "do it right the first time" setup right there!

The hammock and tarp are solid, no question right there. You will have to decide if the hammock is comfortable for you personally, but I bet you'll like it. Do you need the double layer?

I'm not familiar with Warbonnets quilts, but I've heard good things.

With that tarp, I wouldn't worry about splashing. But you could get a ~$30 underquilt protector if necessary. Condensation is a real PITA sometimes, but just something to deal with. I've never had it so bad that it actually soaked my down.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka.cyberman View Post

1) Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7

2) Warbonnet Yeti 3 Season Under Quilt

3) Warbonnet Mambu 3 Season Top Quilt

4) Hammock Gear Camouflage Cuben Fiber Tarp with Doors

5) Assorted Accessories

The main concern I have is Splashing and Condensation while using Goose Down Quilts. Please weigh in with any comments, suggestions, or tips. Need help on Assorted Accessories. Thanks a lot.
    Looks like good choices to me.
    I don't use thwse WB quilts but imagine they are quality items based on the rest of their products.
    I like the full size tarp, in part to keep my down dry. Helps with splashing blowing wind, etc.
    On the Blackbird, I prefer my XLC over my normal BB due to the length. I find it more comfortable but others do well in the BB. It would be good if you could attend a group hang to try both out (or any 11" vs 10').
    Good luck on your journey.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    +1 on the underquilt protector and be sure to let them know if you need a left footed model Bird.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg Phoenix
    Make sure to consider the fact that the WB Yeti is a 2/3 length UQ. Some others are 3/4 like the HG Phoenix. Just food for thought. +2 on the underquilt protector (see 2QZQ's site).

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I'm in Northern Va and use 3 season insulation - I haven't had condensation issues when staying above 20/25F. I've had light condensation on those 33F degree days and fog (100% humidity), but that is expected. As others say, the 2QZQ UQP and your tarp will keep the dew off your insulation.

Food for thought - no bugs here for the next 4 months, so just get the UQ/bottom insulation, an UQP, tarp and a gathered end hammock (use your sleeping bag for TQ). Get some time in this to work out your actual needs. Attend the big MAHHA hang in the spring to see products in action, then decide your hammock need. Here's the link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Sites-Reserved

P.S. Dutch has nice gathered end hammocks/suspension or you can make your own - it's real easy. He demos them at MAHHA as well.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/

P.S.S. An UQ is a critical decision. Give a lot of thought to the UQ need vs. how/when you camp. Example: If you are over 5ft 6 inches tall, consider that the yeti is quite small, but very light/compressible (12.5Oz). If you sleep in a fetal position this would be fine. But, if you camp in cold weather, don't require ultralite for long distance hiking, and sprawl out/move around in sleep a yeti could pose an issue of lack of coverage.
    At 5'9" I find a larger 3/4 length Synthetic UQ (half the price, but 6oz heaver) adequate down to the lower 20F range, but a nice full length UQ is what I would use below 20F.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-19-2015 at 11:37.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    From Warbonnets site....

...... 800 fill Activ-dry DWR goose down.
    As others have said, a UQP is a good idea,
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I forgot to mention...I am a Side Sleeper.....Alway start on my Right Side and usually wake up this way.....Is the Warbonnet Blackbird comfortable for a Side Sleeper?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Just because you are a side sleep on the ground or in a bed, don't assume you'll be a side sleeper in a hammock. While the Blackbird will provide a flat enough lie to accommodate side sleeping, sleeping in a hammock will be a completely different experience. In bed or on the ground I toss and turn a bit looking for a more comfortable position; not the case when sleeping in my hammock.

Do you really need the 1.7 DL? While a robust hammock for someone large or needing a firm feel, the size and weight make this hammock a bit bulkier in the pack. Would a 1.1 DL work?

Do you need the integrated bugnet? Adding a bugnet only when needed to a simple gathered end hammock is not only less expensive but, eliminates carrying unnecessary weight during the cooler months when bugs are not an issue. Another option is the partial bugnet, see the Dutchware Half-wit as an example. Again, less weight and more importantly for my pack, less bulk.

Are you committed to cuben fiber for your tarp? If so, consider stepping up to the Winter Palace, if not look at the Superfly. You will appreciate the extra coverage you'll gain over the Stnd w/doors.

Good Luck with your quest.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Just because you are a side sleep on the ground or in a bed, don't assume you'll be a side sleeper in a hammock. While the Blackbird will provide a flat enough lie to accommodate side sleeping, sleeping in a hammock will be a completely different experience. In bed or on the ground I toss and turn a bit looking for a more comfortable position; not the case when sleeping in my hammock.
    So true! I doubted this for the longest time, but it's true.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast