WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Charlotte. I hope we get to see some pics some day of this hanging and portaging you speak of

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Welcome from another paddler/hanger from Cambridge.

Check out the link that Bubba sent....it is worth the short trip to meet everyone. I'll be going for the day as my setup is still a little light for the end of Nov.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex fly
    Just joined. In Toronto. Thought I would say Hey!...Hey!
    I am new I bought a HH Expedition Asym. I am seeing that you switched to WBBB. Is it that much better? I am able to find the sweet spot in the HH but since seeing the footbox in the BB wonder if it would be better. I am tallish for a girl 5' 11" 135lbs, I was able to sleep on a diagonal. Although first time I had the foot side too high I think. Most say go to a group hang and try a bunch out.

Thought I would ask you since you have experience with both.

MMWWAAAH!
    XO L'il Cal

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L'il Cal View Post
    Most say go to a group hang and try a bunch out.
    I'm 6'3" and use the Hennessy Expedition as well. I find it quite comfortable, but haven't really field tested any other styles. If you're interested in checking out different hammock styles, we're planning a hang at the end of next month at Valens. All are welcome.

EGL - Fall 2012 - Valens
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    Just joined. In Toronto. Thought I would say Hey!...Hey!
    I am new I bought a HH Expedition Asym. I am seeing that you switched to WBBB. Is it that much better? I am able to find the sweet spot in the HH but since seeing the footbox in the BB wonder if it would be better. I am tallish for a girl 5' 11" 135lbs, I was able to sleep on a diagonal. Although first time I had the foot side too high I think. Most say go to a group hang and try a bunch out.

Thought I would ask you since you have experience with both.

MMWWAAAH!
    XO L'il Cal
    Hey L'il Cal --

I suppose I should first say that I have nowhere near the breadth of experience that some others do, but I did start out with the very same hammock you have. It was what was available at MEC and I thought I would give it a try -- I didn't even know that anything else was even out there and I certainly wasn't convinced with the whole idea of hanging when I bought it. After all, it is a bit of a leap when you have been sleeping in a tent for years.

Finding the sweet spot in my Hennessy was never a problem -- it does provide a comfy hang! Perhaps it was trying to get by with the other gear (an Exped mat and a down sleeping bag) that I had that I found frustrating; I could never quite manage to stay on my pad during the night. There are, of course, ways around that and it was one of the reasons why I ended up here in the forums -- to learn. But the double layer of the WBBB appealed to me -- I figured it might be easier to keep things in place and even though I now have a UQ, I still might slip a pad in when things are warmer.

I do find the WBBB a bit roomier on the diagonal -- there just seems to be more material there. And I am a bit excited because all my gear is new, but that isn't to say that the Hennessy is anything less than a fine hang. Like most things, it comes down to personal preference. That being said, I found the stock tarp that comes with the HH Expedition Asym to be a bit on the small side, so you may want to go with a larger tarp. But then again, we have never exactly travelled light when we canoe -- depends whether or not weight is a concern for you or not.

Cheers.
    Last edited by BrknArrow; 10-26-2012 at 20:38.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    Welcome from Windsor Ontario
    When asked why I sleep with my shoes on? I don't need to out run a bear, just need to out run my camp mates.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex fly
    Thanks Broken Arrow. I did get the larger hex fly. Off topic - I see you paddle a bunch. For next season hanging I have an alcohol stove. I am ordering a Titanium pug or mot mug/pot...ah but what will you put the hot water into pretty girl? (you may be thinking) Aye there's the rub. Shug seems to like Hawk Vittles. I went on there site, they no ship to Canada. MEC sells Mountain House and everybody seems sold on the Beef Stroganoff. Do you paddle with dehydrated camp food? Is Mountain House the only game in the true North strong and free? Thanks a bunch Hon. MMWWAAAAH! L'il Cal XO

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    MEC sells Mountain House and everybody seems sold on the Beef Stroganoff. Do you paddle with dehydrated camp food? Is Mountain House the only game in the true North strong and free? Thanks a bunch Hon. MMWWAAAAH! L'il Cal XO
    Hey L'il Cal, welcome to the forums! There are several brands available through Outfitters in Canada… Mountain House, Backpacker Pantry… I've tried most of them but can’t get over the high sodium content they put in the product to extend the shelf and storage life. Even “reduced salt” meals have 350 to 400 mg’s in the bag. Last year, I gave up on commercial products completely, bought a dehydrator and I’ve been DIY’n meals ever since, just mentioning it as an alternate option??
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Welcome from Central PA!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from Charleston, SC
    I may be lost but I am making great time.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast