Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Enjoy, you will be fine with that tarp. Couple of thoughts to help fine tune:

Running the ridgeline above the tarp misses the point of added support unless one has a center loop or something similar.

Drip loops. Look them up. ;-)

If your hammock is a bit long look at moving off center a foot or so. Do a little pencil time or just lay out two parallel lines in the floor 10 ft apart. If you move the foot 12 in L and the head 12 in right your ridge line just got longer. Some math or a tape measure will show you. You lose a bit of coverage but most of the loss is where the hammock is narrow. ;-)
Good points.

A few more to consider:

The question originally posed was for an Integral Designs Sil Tarp and this particular piece of gear does have a center loop so the support from suspension line above is there.

As far as support goes, note that I am in Texas. I saw some snow once on The Discovery Channel so support is not as big an issue here as it would be in Canada or northern states where snow or ice storms could add a lot of weight to your roof.

Drip lines are good to know about for hammock suspension as well as tarp.

The idea of hanging the hammock assym to the rectangular tarp is an interesting thought that I am going to play with sometime. Nothermark's idea might work really well with larger diameter trees and running the suspension line off the opposite sides of the trees. Normally, if I want extra coverage, I hang the tarp on the diagonal and have a 12' 9" of tarp coverage.

I've not tried closing doors on mine in rectangular mode so something to play with next time I'm out.

Keep playing with it, let us know what you learn so we can learn too.