Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images

summer / winter UQ

hey there in trying to save money im wondering if i should get a 20 degree with overfill or 0 degree incubator and im wondering if anyone has used both in winter and in summer?? i just cant afford both a summer and winter UQ my thinking is to use more clothes or space blanket or wool blanket with a 20 rather than a 0 UQ that i cant use in the summer cause it would be too hot any recommendations or experiences with this.. it does get cold here but i probably wont be out in anything more that -10 c

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Still Researching
    Suspension
    Stock
    I would get a winter UQ and look at something like a DIY no sew PLUQ for summer use.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Get the winter uq. You can always vent it or take layers off the top. I don't live in winter climate here, but when I move next I most likely will end up where there is a winter. When that happens I will be talking to HG for a nice winter uq. My poncho liner underquilt works well to around 40...good luck.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler &amp; eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    was thinking about a travel sock from warbonnet with the 20 degree UQ that should take up the difference in temp for the winter but still not sure about that set up either

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    WL, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know it's not exactly what your asking for, but.....
    I've used my 0* Phoenix in ~50*F weather with a 40*F sleeping bag unzipped like a TQ and didn't feel too warm. I'm fairly new to hanging, so the coldest I've gone is ~38* with the Phoenix and a 15*F WL king size TQ. This combo kept me toasty, but comfortable. We'll have to see what the Winter brings. It won't get as cold here in Kentucky as it does in Norway and we won't get the snow you probably do either

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    whazzzup,

You probably haven't considered it, but the main difference between the two quilts is not made up in the stuffing. It helps; however, the difference comes down to how they are made.

As an example, why not just buy the 40* one and pay for a bunch of overstuffing and save yourself more money? Because, the difference is in how deep the baffles are. You have about 2" to 3" of baffle loft on the 40*. You have about 4" to 6" of baffle loft on the 0*. As you'll find out (if you research it), there is a point of diminishing returns on overstuffing.

As far as the temperature ratings of HG stuff. There are actually a little underrated (meaning that you could likely go colder); but understand that this means that you actually have to have it dialed in properly (which usually takes a few tries).

As far as adding a WB protector to heat it up? With only a bottom one, I don't think you'll gain 20*. I bought a 2QZQ UQ protector for $35, which is essentially the same as WBs. I might get 10* out of it, but it's predominately to keep the water off the bottom.

If you want an "all weather" solution, then get the 0* Incubator and vent it, like others have said. I've tried the 1/2, 2/3 and such and they didn't work as well for me as the full length, full loft UQ.

I don't think you'll find too many people that would tell you that you made a bad choice with this. I have a couple of friends that have told me that they wished that they had done this to start...

Hammock
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    well i just ordered the 0 deg full length incubator from the storm crow think i made the right choice there... am thinking about the travel sock from Brandon as well... started snowing here today man i want to be out in it... think im gona be real broke soon.... rice and beans for me for a while... i really wish i could sew myself some stash save on some cash but also think these guys know there stuff and im going to get quality and that is worth it...anyhow happy trails guys and as always thanks for your input and help...

Hammock
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    oh yer i just want to add this... i do want to really thank the members of this forum, have to say it is awesome as a relatively new member getting so much insightful and helpful advise on a variety of questions i can only hope that one day i can help others as ive been given help to guide me so i have a better experience !!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think you'll be happy with your order. I was going to second what Boomer said, though. I believe when my UQ was purchased it was rated at 35 (now 40). I had them overstuff with 1 oz to get me (in theory) to freezing. I've had it down to 23 without any problems. So I'd say the ratings are conservative.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts