WBBB XLC Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

It Arrived ... And I napped!!

Yeah, my new WBBB double 1.7 arrived and I finally got to set it up! Oh how I wish I had it in time for MAHHA, but I learned a lot there that helped me today!!

As you can see, I was happy!
    TRU Close.jpg

Brandon definitely made it easy to set up the WBBB. I appreciate the strap set up and how easy they are to use.
    TRU WBBB.jpg

I set it up and was in it for 3 hours reading. I did get out of it a few times to try different styles/settings/hangs (all level, head higher, feet higher, etc...). I even fell asleep while reading, so I think that's a real good sign for my first hammock experience. Yeah, this is my first hammock experience that I can remember. I decided to enter the hammock world and I jumped in with both feet.

I may try to set it up again tomorrow with a few minor adjustments (I may even try to set up the tarp too) - and I can use a little advise.

The WBBB double 1.7 is able to handle my large size. It is suppose to handle up to 400 lbs, and while I'm not 400 lbs, I'm closer to that than I want to be. The straps are 1" wide and held up great. They didn't dig into the tree, but they did leave a little mark. I think a 175 lb. person could easily hang in it and not leave any marks on the tree, but that's not me (yet!!). Has anyone swapped out or used a 2-inch webbing as a tree hugger under their straps? Any thoughts on an inexpensive, quick solution?

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Congrats on the new gear - it is pretty exciting! I just got some stuff this week and was out in the garag straying it out. I think my wife thinks I'm plain nuts.

As to the straps, I don't have any specific advice but Strapworks.com has a lot of options if you want to swap out.

Tru,
    Congrats on the new hang!!! Consider double wrapping your straps or slipping a little CCF under your 1 in. straps to spread the weight and force. What are your plans for that double bottom? CCF pad? reflectex? Combo of both? Talk to us about your aspirations!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    Yeah, my new WBBB double 1.7 arrived and I finally got to set it up! Oh how I wish I had it in time for MAHHA, but I learned a lot there that helped me today!!

As you can see, I was happy!
    TRU Close.jpg

Brandon definitely made it easy to set up the WBBB. I appreciate the strap set up and how easy they are to use.
    TRU WBBB.jpg

I set it up and was in it for 3 hours reading. I did get out of it a few times to try different styles/settings/hangs (all level, head higher, feet higher, etc...). I even fell asleep while reading, so I think that's a real good sign for my first hammock experience. Yeah, this is my first hammock experience that I can remember. I decided to enter the hammock world and I jumped in with both feet.

I may try to set it up again tomorrow with a few minor adjustments (I may even try to set up the tarp too) - and I can use a little advise.

The WBBB double 1.7 is able to handle my large size. It is suppose to handle up to 400 lbs, and while I'm not 400 lbs, I'm closer to that than I want to be. The straps are 1" wide and held up great. They didn't dig into the tree, but they did leave a little mark. I think a 175 lb. person could easily hang in it and not leave any marks on the tree, but that's not me (yet!!). Has anyone swapped out or used a 2-inch webbing as a tree hugger under their straps? Any thoughts on an inexpensive, quick solution?

Thoughts?
    +1 im glad you care about the trees.congats on the hammock youve already got a hangers heart or you wouldnt be concerned about the trees, good luck

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Tru,

You made a great first hammock decision! I think it is fabulous that you are taking on this new endeavor. Now you have to get out and hit the trail. You have great top-line gear that will help you enjoy the outdoors in comfort. Small goals to long-term success.

Temporarily, you can use several sticks in between the straps and tree to prevent cuts to the bark. This is a short-term fix. Send Brandon a note asking if you can swap out 2" strap replacements. That's a better long-term strategy.

We can organize a local hang to get you started if you like. Small hike & camp deal.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Congratulations on the first hammock. You started out with the Cadillac, now you got to test drive the Mercedies and BMWs of the hammock world, and maybe a Ford as well.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thank for the advice. I went out again this am for about an hour. I double wrapped the one side, but couldn't do both because of the distance. I placed some twigs in it and it seemed to do the trip. I can across a 3" tow strap in the clearance section at Walmart today that I think I'll try and modify this weekend. I'm thinking of creating some 5-6' tree hungers to connect my suspension straps to. We'll see how this works for now.

For my warmth plans, I've ordered the incubator and burrow from hammockgear. I've got a few old camping pads laying around that I might try out until the quilts arrive. We'll see what I come up with that works best.

My goal is to have everything dialed in by May. I will be spending a week in Colorado and a week in Yosemite in May. Then, I hope to spend a few weeks on the Appalachian Trail in June. No real plan in mind other than starting in Boiling Springs, PA and heading south. (We live near there). I'm hoping my wife and boys (11 & 14) join me for a few weeks on the AT.

I know I started with a pretty sweet hammock. I needed one for a BIG boy. But I also know I have spent all my "mad money". It's time to start saving for the next purchases. The problem is, I think I'll be spending "a little her and there" as I start to tinker.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    The problem is, I think I'll be spending "a little her and there" as I start to tinker.
    If you are a gearaholic like myself, that tinkering will cause here and there to be about a week apart!!!
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome schedule you have planned - Colorado, Yosemite and then the AT. Hope we get lots of trip reports out of all that.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    It's sure a lot of fun getting the new gear. To be completely honest, I like researching and buying the gear as much as I like using it in the field! Enjoy yours!
    Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast