Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    modded grand trunk sb pro
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie

grand trunk funky forest tarp.

so i finally broke down and puchased a lightweight tarp. (was using a camo 8 x 10 poly tarp.$12 ) now ive just arrived home with the GTFF at about $80. anyone know a good way to pitch this thing? for example with doors... which side goes up? and other general tarp tips or tricks specific to this tarp or ones similar would be much appreciated.. thanx
    Aaron "soul" Hastings aka "multipass"

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Best advice I know to give is to go out and set it up in the yard. A lot. Learn what works best and the best way to rig things. Sounds corny I know, but is a great way to learn your kit and how to work with it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    the standard diamond is the only way ive seen or heard. cant pitch it tonite i have no trees. but its not straight sided. not sure if pitched turned 90deg (aframe with doors style) would prove enough coverage for the skeeter beeter or not. just wondering if anyone knows this style of tarp and what its capable of?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    The Funky Forest Tarp is HUGE! It can handle all kinds of configurations. I found that my typical hangs weren't accommodating the full "diamond" of the tarp, so I got creative early on. Here are some photos of some winter styles with 360° protection.

Hammock
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    wow.. ask and you shall recieve. that is very cool thank you. cant wait to try that. i might need a video or an assistant to decipher those tieouts tho. just wow...
    ps... which side goes on top?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I own two of these tarps. The diamond is the only viable way I know to hang it, which results in a 16-ft. ridgeline.

I am very happy with these tarps (especially since I paid $25 per tarp on sale last year), but they are by no means lightweight at somewhere around 24 ounces, as I recall.

In addition to the weight, the downside of this tarp is the size. It acts like a giant windsail in high winds. In wind-blown rain, you're kinda screwed if you hang it in a diamond. Here's a post and video of how I hang the tarp in inclement/winter weather.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=funky+forest

For winter, I had to make Tyvek Grizz Beaks to cover the ends. They worked great and I slept down to 15 degrees with them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    24 ounces doesnt bother me if its a large winter capable tarp. as shown in those previous pics. it also compresses way beyond its stuff sack size. more than 60% so im pretty happy with the packked size and weight. tho i have no idea other than that. it has yet to fly :/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    The Funky Forest Tarp is HUGE! It can handle all kinds of configurations. I found that my typical hangs weren't accommodating the full "diamond" of the tarp, so I got creative early on. Here are some photos of some winter styles with 360° protection.

Wow, dejoha. Creative (though complicated) ways to hang the Funky Forest Tarp. Question: where the hell are the external loops on the ridgeline? Are you hanging it outside in or something?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    It really wasn't that complicated. I'm working on a blog series to show "creative" ways to pitch "common" tarps like the Funky Forest Tarp. Tarps like the Guide Gear 12x12, the Kelty Noah, an other "square"-ish tarps with multiple tie-outs are ripe for pitching innovation.

> http://bit.ly/Xk1V14

Instead of using the default ridgeline, take off from one of the other 12 perimeter tie-outs and have at it!

To answer your question, the tarp is not inside-out. If you look carefully, I've just gone down to the next set of side tie-outs, The original ridgeline is folded back, creating the "doors."

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    wow.. ask and you shall recieve. that is very cool thank you. cant wait to try that. i might need a video or an assistant to decipher those tieouts tho. just wow...
    ps... which side goes on top?
    I'll see about making a video. It really isn't that hard or complicated. If you tak the standard diamond pitch, then move the tarp over and use the next set of perimeter tie-outs as the new ridgeline. This makes the tarp off-center, but if you are deliberate about pitching the longer side windward, you can stake it right to the ground (folding a triangle of fabric under the tarp). The other side has the interesting tie-outs.

The original beaks/ridgeline fold in toward the center creating the "doors." I eliminated needing extra guyline by linking both doors together and pitching the "open" side with only two stakes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast