Tarp
    Zpacks cuben asym
    Insulation
    EE TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    First follow up:
    I've been out a couple of nights w/o shelter, but the temps still were only in the mid 40's. It's Florida, after all. I have to say, I love this quilt more each time I use it. With no shelter, mid 40's, I slept really warm. I was amazed how well it blocked the wind.

I'm going out again this weekend to the Sugar Creek area of the Suwannee River for some paddling and camping. I'm only taking a tarp for shelter. The low should be around 34. I'll report back again as this will be the coldest I'll routinely get it out in. It doesn't often get colder than this in Florida and I don't often get up to the mountains in the winter.

I noted before that I got a smaller quilt and I wasn't sure if I was going to take Tim up on his offer to swap it. I decided to keep it. I've simply been so comfortable with it that there's no reason to swap it.
    Ryan

With our powers combined... we should be able to get these hammocks out of the dirt.

humid environments

Have you used the epiphany in very high humidity? I'm concerned about the down not drying out. Also what are your thoughts about a combo with a Cuben under quilt?

Hammock
    the one I'm sleeping in
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben asym
    Insulation
    EE TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    @Tosh

I don’t know exactly how humid it’s been, but I am in Florida… In the cooler months it’s a bit better, of course, but it’s relative. To tell you the truth, I don’t think the down gets wet at all. I do get a bit of condensation on the bottom side of the quilt, but it being a vapor barrier seems to keep the down dry. Of course I can’t really get to the down, but I can see it pretty well through the white cuben. It moves like it’s dry and fluffy.

As for pairing it with a cuben UQ, my DIY UQ is cuben and down, as well. It’s no problem at all. The cloth of the hammock body keeps everything in good shape.
    The Epiphany makes a great UQ, by the way. Did you see my pics of that earlier in this post?
    Ryan

With our powers combined... we should be able to get these hammocks out of the dirt.

Hammock
    the one I'm sleeping in
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben asym
    Insulation
    EE TQ, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I said I’d follow up on the lower temps… Sorry it’s taken so long.

Well, I’ve had it out in as low as 28 degrees over this past winter. The Epiphany worked as well as I’d hoped for. I haven’t been using any shelter at all lately. Just the quilt and a Therm-a-Rest on a ground cloth, so I’m really counting on the quilt to keep me warm with nothing else around me. I have to say, it is a bit more comfy in the hammock. It’s easier to keep the sides down all around me and my UQ pulls up along the side of the hammock. However, it does fine on the ground, too. It came with shock cord to run under the sleeping pad to solve that problem, though I generally don’t use it.

I’ve probably slept under this quilt 20 or 25 nights now, from 28 up to 52 degrees on the thermometer whenever I happened to get up and look during the night. It’s working pretty well through that range, though on the warmer end it does get a little clammier. I am careful with it, but durability thus far hasn’t been an issue. I expect to get a lot more use out of it.

I’m just as happy with it now as when I used it for the first time.
    Ryan

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Great overview, thanks for the info

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12