DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Seeking advice on end channels

So I've made a few tablecloth hammocks, either whipping or with the Knotty mod, and I think out of all the types I've tried I find the end channels on my ENO the most comfortable, not to mention the easiest for a 'newbie' to come to grips with -- learning a marlinspike hitch, larkshead, and how to use a whoopie all in one go is a little more than some want to deal with when I'm casually introducing them to hammocking.

In the spirit of getting some more practice with my sewing machine, I'm probably going to try sewing some end channels in a tablecloth hammock, but I'm a little concerned about weight and safety. I have 3 types of Gutterman thread (1 spool of "mara", and two weights of "tera" -- tex 35 and 50).

I ask because I'm a little concerned about weight actually being put on the crooked uneven stitches I sew, instead of nice factory stitches from ENO or the comparatively sturdy ball of fabric in an end whipping/knot/knotty mod

That said, I'm almost able to sew a straight line now, so I was wondering:

- I remember from my ENO that there are appear to be 3 lines of fairly normal stitches holding the end channel. Are these reinforced in some way? If so, how would I go about reinforcing my own stitches?

- Are any (or all) of the above types of thread suitable to match to the load rating of the tablecloth fabric itself (which I gather is around 400lbs)?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Hi yenemy,

If you attach your suspension rope using a larkshead, there is very little force on the end channel stitching. Do make sure that the suspension rope is tightened securely on first use.

Before I put my big butt in a brand new hammock, I hang it up, grab the rope at the channel and pull for all I'm worth to firmly set the larkshead tight.

I use a tex40 Polyester thread and run 3 rows of stitching approx 1/4" apart. I do stitch a short row back and forth at the ends of the channels, but this is mainly to keep them from unraveling and not for strength.

Not sure of the role straight vs wavy stitching plays? Maybe none?

Right or wrong, that's how I do it and haven't had a channel fail yet.

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Hi PapaSmurf,

For end channel hammocks I generally run a continuous loop through the end channel, and larkshead it; for some reason I feel like this would put more strain on the stitching than a larkshead around a whipping or a knot in the fabric. If you're doing well with 3 rows of straight stitches, then I'll try the same

I'd only be concerned about uneven/crooked stitches because the strain on the stitches wouldn't be even. I guess I'll see myself soon!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL, Several DIYs
    Tarp
    10x10 Granite Gear
    Insulation
    HammockGear Burrow
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Your hammock-to-suspension connection method will change the feel and lay of your hammock pretty dramatically. When you put your suspension through an end channel, the fabric's tension increases as you move outward toward the edges. It is loosest in the middle. If you're worried about stitch strength with end channels, you could simulate the same feel and tautness on the sides with whipping it and then larksheading. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html See how he pulls the corners out further from the whipping? This simulates a similar edge tautness that you would find on an ENO or something similar but without having to worry about stitching failure. You can make very minor adjustments this way, as well. Experiment with different whipping methods, and you'll find what feels best for you.

Let us know how it goes!

• + New Posts