Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images

Alps Mountaineering Foam Mat

Does anybody have any experience with using Alps Mountaineering Foam Mat? They are (except for the regular size) .625" thick. That's pretty thick considering most sleeping pads are .375" I figure those pads would do a good job in the winter but can you actually roll those pads up and have them fit on the outside of your pack without having something the size of tree trunk hanging off of you?

My alternative is going with the standard wally world CCF mat or Neo's Army surplus CCF.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Images
    consider the gossamer gear pad. they are thinner, but made of better(evazote) foam. thickness like 1/4"-3/8" would be a good 3 season pad

Images
    I haven't used that particular pad. I did use a solid pad of roughly that thickness and didn't particularly like the feel of it, it seemed too stiff for my liking. The 5/8 inch thick Ridgerest model by Thermarest is a different matter, it can have roughly the same insulation if you handle the bottom side properly and was more cushioned/comfortable for me.

For any of these closed cell foam pads you can calculate the minimum rolled diameter fairly easily. All you are looking at is the cross sectional area along the length of the pad when rolled. Flat it is simply the product of the thickness x length. If you roll that into a circle, the minimum rolled diameter is 2x the square root of that cross sectional area divided by PI.

For a 5/8 inch thick pad that is 72 inches long, the minimum rolled diameter is:

2 * sqrt (( 5/8 * 72 )/ 3.14) = 7.6 inches

For a 3.8 inch thick pad of the same length the minimum rolled diameter is 5.9 inches.

If you reduce the lengths to 48 inches, the minimum rolled diameters become 6.2 and 4.8 inches, respectively for a 5/8 and 3/8 inch pad.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 11-20-2008 at 09:15. Reason: clarity
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    The green 26" wide full length pad? Picked one up when discounted for the JRB Bridge. Don't own the bridge any more. Pad use is limited to the truck bed sleeping pad. It is thick in diameter when rolled. Bit fatter than an old Ridgerest. It's light but bulky. Probably going to use it to make some wings for a Speers type SPE.

8 1/2 diameter when rolled. With effort maybe 8" is possible.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 11-22-2008 at 18:48. Reason: updated
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    For any of these closed cell foam pads you can calculate the minimum rolled diameter fairly easily. All you are looking at is the cross sectional area along the length of the pad when rolled. Flat it is simply the product of the thickness x length. If you roll that into a circle, the minimum rolled diameter is 2x the square root of that cross sectional area divided by PI.

For a 5/8 inch thick pad that is 72 inches long, the minimum rolled diameter is:

2 * sqrt (( 5/8 * 72 )/ 3.14) = 7.6 inches

For a 3.8 inch thick pad of the same length the minimum rolled diameter is 5.9 inches.

If you reduce the lengths to 48 inches, the minimum rolled diameters become 6.2 and 4.8 inches, respectively for a 5/8 and 3/8 inch pad.
    The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.
    -- Saint Augustine

Sorry, Youngblood, but I couldn't resist a historical quote after reading that.

FarStar

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.
    -- Saint Augustine

FarStar
    Hadn't seen that one before...

In defense of St. Augustine and modern mathematicians, it should be noted that the "mathematicians" of his place and time were astrologers, which makes his warning rather more sensible, if not nearly as much fun to quote!

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    -- Saint Augustine

FarStar
    No problem, I have a sense of humor. I've heard the phrase "there are those who dazzle us with brilliance and there are those who baffle us with bs"... I think Saint Augustine was referring to the later.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts