Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I can ask about renting my scout camp, it has all the qualifications but i know there are usually some lively "spirits" around the fire. The Scouts sort of frown on the "spirits" on their properties.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The RidgeRunner View Post
    I can ask about renting my scout camp, it has all the qualifications but i know there are usually some lively "spirits" around the fire. The Scouts sort of frown on the "spirits" on their properties.
    I was explaining this event to some fellow scouters, and they raised the scout camp possibilities. But I think that the "spirits" definitely make them less attractive.

+1 for the Blue Ridge Center.
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Ranger Joe McAllister from Gathland sent me a very nice MAHHA reference letter to use when looking for a new hang location. This could help us with park administration -- knowing we are a respectful group of leave-no-trace hikers/campers. If anyone wants a copy on letterhead, just PM me.

Here's part of what he said . . .

"Although their group was large, they were very well behaved and ensured that areas they utilized were left in the same condition as when they arrived. In the case of the pavilion it may have been left in better condition.

The Maryland Park Service strongly encourages people to get out and experience the outdoors. This is one of our most important goals. Groups like the MAHHA aid in attracting people to outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. They are also excellent resource in helping educate the pubic on protecting our natural and cultural resources."

Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I know "hiking into" has its appeal to folks. I understand that. But one of the reasons I have not been to Gaitland in a while is that I can't handle the hike. I know it is easy but my mobility issues just get in the way. This is just a vote for a more "car camping" venue. I don't expect my opinion to override the majority. But by the same token, if I don't voice it, it goes unheard.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Aahh thats a cool reference letter thanks for sharing. Anyways in regards to future locations. My only input is any place that allows dogs. I love PGF St Park but dont like the rule against no dogs in the group camp site. So really anywhere that permits dogs.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the letter Happy Camper. It is good to when everyone acts like an adult. Thanks for your leadership and superb diplomacy.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The RidgeRunner View Post
    PA state parks prohibit spirits as well. Actually, doesn't MD state parks prohibit them now? Not so much of an issue along the AT as long as one hikes out of the park area a little ways...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It seems to me that alcohol use at MAHHA gatherings has been very subdued, perhaps even minimal, and could be more so if we were a bit more circumspect. It's definitely about hammocks, not a wild party.

Anywhere along the AT we have the problem of a 10 person limit, and we should respect that. The AT gets so much use that it may be more susceptible to the impact of large numbers than other places. (Even hammock campers dig cat holes and leave footprints.)

State parks have regulations. I note that in PA we do not fit the definition of "an organized group", though the nice people at Pine Grove Furnace were either unaware of that or chose to overlook it.

What's left? Private land or National Forests (except for Wilderness areas), perhaps. Look around.
    Last edited by WV; 11-04-2012 at 08:05.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Gathland allowed alcohol at the pavilion if you bought the alcohol permit. Which I suspect pays for a ranger to be on hand during the pavilion event. I never bought the permit because I did not want to encourage more alcohol consumption. Probably not a popular stance to take with some, but it's my experience that bad things happen when alcohol is 'legal' at a large event. And as an organizer, I don't know everyone coming and how they act after a few drinks. It's also my opinion that MAHHA should be about friendship, family friendly, hammocks, and camping, rather than can we have alcohol at the location. I'm always concerned with safety.

We vote on location anyway, so the majority will rule.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 11-04-2012 at 08:49.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think if we can find a place that meets our size needs, location, trees for hammocks and dogs being allowed we can live without the alcohol. As stated it's about other things we love not a big drinking party.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast