Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I spent last weekend hanging in damp low-40's temps using a cheap coleman self-inflating pad and a 40* bag. I slept in dry heavy wool socks and a lightweight wool shirt over my day-clothing and was actually a bit warm at times during the night.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Whatever you go with I would advise that you try sleeping a full night with your set-up in similar conditions/temps to what you'll be in out at the camp site. Until you've got your "system" that you know works there will probably be a lot of tweaking and it is much less miserable to tweak in the back yard (where you can run inside to warm up and drink some coffee and sleep for a while if needed) than to do your learning out in a campground. Since you are car camping you'll always have that as a back up but sleeping in a car isn't nearly as comfortable as sleeping in a wonderful warm cocoon of a hammock that you have dialed in for comfort

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

That Garlington Insulator really got me thinking last night. I have some Tyvek-like material. It has a local building supply company logo on it and I don't think it's really Tyvek - it's smoother on one side and has the rip-stop pattern on the other. I don't think it's as soft as Tyvek from what I've read here, but I don't think I've ever handled the real thing.

Anyway, I think I can make a Garlington Insulator type undersling that will hold a sleeping bag nice and snug, but not too snug as to cause compression, and really simplify the setup/take-down. I'm going to do some searches here on the best way to put tie-outs on this type of material and see what I might be able to come up with.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper; WL Sniper; DIY channel
    Tarp
    tarpless
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    you name it
    Quote Originally Posted by Roessletb View Post
    That Garlington Insulator really got me thinking last night. I have some Tyvek-like material. It has a local building supply company logo on it and I don't think it's really Tyvek - it's smoother on one side and has the rip-stop pattern on the other. I don't think it's as soft as Tyvek from what I've read here, but I don't think I've ever handled the real thing.

Anyway, I think I can make a Garlington Insulator type undersling that will hold a sleeping bag nice and snug, but not too snug as to cause compression, and really simplify the setup/take-down. I'm going to do some searches here on the best way to put tie-outs on this type of material and see what I might be able to come up with.
    Be sure to let us know what you find out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12