JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    geez, you guys work at all?
    yeah, i can't even get fridays off. i just have to go after work on fri & come back on sun eve.
    so i wouldn't be one of those traveling. i wish.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I worked and helped organize many living history events commonly called rondayvous( we never in 25 yrs agreed on how to spell it) ..they are a group of gatherings around the country to allow livng history renactors to come together and share their hobby...i beleve there are only 4 0r 5 national events remaining today ...but at one time there were 9 i beleve.....my point is perhaps we could organise something simular...have hangers in diffrent regions of the country organise and put on camping / hammock weekends to show case their favorite camping parks/lakes/trails...ect.. it is just an idea..but from reading this thread i feel many would like to take part in gatherings around the nation....

New England in the house

2XL checking in and representing Southwestern Connecticut.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I worked and helped organize many living history events commonly called rondayvous( we never in 25 yrs agreed on how to spell it) ..they are a group of gatherings around the country to allow livng history renactors to come together and share their hobby...i beleve there are only 4 0r 5 national events remaining today ...but at one time there were 9 i beleve.....my point is perhaps we could organise something simular...have hangers in diffrent regions of the country organise and put on camping / hammock weekends to show case their favorite camping parks/lakes/trails...ect.. it is just an idea..but from reading this thread i feel many would like to take part in gatherings around the nation....
    i don't know how many could travel to other parts of the country (or maybe travel from another country), but i think it would be great for those who are able to be able to meet hammockers that they normally wouldn't.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    That is the beauty of it..i dont have to travel far..if i host one close to me..and by joining with other hangers in my part of the country..we can come together in our area for a rondayvous so to speak...but also by announcing the event in this forum everyone is aware... and those who have always wanted to do a hike / camp/ canoe say in the smokies or in upper NY state..or for people like me who ask ..just where would i go to see the boundry waters area...ect..would have a chance for a get away and to meet fellow hangers.
    In living history we buckskinners act as a sort of extended family..so when i ask about an event in a area i havent been to ...or somplace i have always wanted to see...other members will inform me of great places..perfect campsites..the places to avoid ect...
    For example:
    I have a friend who owns several thousand acres in southcentral alabama...on this land we have a camping area ..a place where we have held living history events on for over a decade..it is a beautiful place set in the bend of a wooded creek..we have campsites with decks..a raised cooking area..and a canoe run that is 30 min/ 1 hr/ 6 hrs depending on how high you launch..plus we have 12 canoes there for our use...the site has enough space for 50 hammocks with a great view and no need to bunch up..a modern cabin sits on the top of the hill a hundred yard away for all the modern needs..this is a semi primitive site....but the creek holds dozens of truly primitve sites along the bank..all on private land..it would be very rare to see anyone else on the creek..all this in a wooded area..most of the day you will be in some form of shade from 9 am till 4 pm..a big swinmming hole ect..
    my point is... my friends and i hold campouts on this land several times year ..several of them are hangers..if the other members of this site would be interested..i would be happy to invite them the next time we camp...as a sort of hangers rondayvous..just to meet and get to share with fellow campers who enjoy hammocks./camping/caoneing..ect.....in return when some of you guys and gals are planning a weekend in NC..or where ever..i would know of it and be able to attend if i could...most if not all of us have spent years becoming savy campers/ hikers/ canoest..coming together gives us all a chance to share our hard won knowledge...i for one would really enjoy learning from everyone...nuff said
    Last edited by blackie; 03-09-2007 at 21:44.

Images
    Those sound like good ideas.

That is why I like to post about hikes that I do locally and whether anyone wants to join me. I always enjoy setting around the fire talking shop to people (as long as we can get a fire started).
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Great idea, Blackie. I'm close enough.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I have gotten responses from several interested in a rondayvous ...let me hook up with my friend with the land i spoke of earlier ...and i will get back to the forum with a weekend...i would really enjoy getting together

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Not an "official" hanger yet (its in the mail as we speak!!) But saying hello from Magic City, Birmingham, Alabama!

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Port Richey, FL just north of Tampa Bay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast