Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

1st year; gear is settled, now to enjoy it...

Well at the beginning of this year I'd decided to get back into backpacking; call it a middle age crisis but I'd realized the years I have left to do things like this are numbered. A bad knee and back worn out from a motorcycle accident and 21 years of military service never let me forget that the flesh is week and are days are numbered. I'd always wanted to backpack but never got around to it.

So as I researched tents, bivy's and especially tarp tents, I stumbled by here and made your acquaintence. Bought a Hennessey and after the first night I knew this was the "path" for me. Over the months I upgraded my tarp, then I researched and purchased a lightweight pack. Then I researched and bought a lightweigh alcohol stove; see a pattern here . Enjoyed the gear research as much as the occassional weekend hike. Finally purchased a second hammock so my kid's could hang with me instead of sleeping in my one man tent.

As soon as I read about pads versus UQ's I knew which was better; a smart man will bypass the pads, provided he can afford the UQ. A foolish man will charge the UQ instead of saving for it .

So I got my Phoenix 20 degree; worked perfectly on cooler summer evenings. enjoyed taking my kids out for day hikes; we'd sling a hammock, cook lunch, hike, enjoy each other, the woods, and life.

Got more lightweight gear; two new stoves, a great fire steel. Upgraded my pack to an even lighter weight pack so my son could have a good pack too (my old one which was still a great lightweight pack!). Learned how a cotton ball rubbed in vasoline would burn forever as a great fire starter; how cool is that?

A few more hikes and loved making a cup of coffee in the morning on my stove, sitting in a hammock.

Got to go on a group hang with some of you; met some great guys; we're all pretty different but our love of the outdoors made it work. Learned from them and learned I don't like to be cold at night anymore; invested in a zero degree UQ and TQ. Can't wait to hike this winter.

Can't wait to hang with each of my kid's, one at a time, personal time, good quality time and they'll have as good equipment as I will.

Tonight I ordered the final piece; Black Diamond Ultra Distance trekking poles. At my age, with a bad knee/back, they're worth their weight in gold. Now my setup is complete. I'm blessed to have a good lightweight setup from my boots to my pack to may hat!

Even managed to find a pair of hiking pants that actually fit, that I like. North Face Peak Paramounts; even got another pair so my son will have good clothes for an upcoming hike with some of you.

So it's been a different kind of year. I'm doing college work at night, work is crazy, life it almost too much at times but I got into backpacking like i wanted to and the right gear; just the right gear is one of lifes simple peasures. I like this ultralight thing and I have something on my calender to look forward to; a group hang here in missouri with some guys I met on this forum and with my youngest son Jeremiah. I look forward to hiking/hanging with him and seeing some of you again. And I look forward to making that cup of coffee in the morning on top of Bell Mountain.

Life didn't turn out the way I'd hoped and it's not easy, not too much fun, but life it good! Tomorrow I leave for a business conference/show in Chicago. I like the city and it's a hectic business world out there but most of the time I'll be thinking about the upcoming hike with my son.

There's no "do overs" in life but there is the next day and what you make of it. Too many chase the big splashy things in life and miss how the simple little things add the true pleasure to life.

So, no matter where you're at in your journey, no matter how "situated" your gear is, enjoy that next hike and take the time to really soak it in. If you can, bring someone to share it with do it; it's even worth buying a second setup; especially if you can bring your kid. My whole life I've been a bit of a loner but I've learned that sharing an experience with someone is special somehow.

So enjoy my friend and make today count for something because once it's gone, it's really gone.

Well I have to go now; I'm going to light my Tin Man alcohol stove in my study and turn off the lights; I like doing that for some reason

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 10-27-2012 at 20:01.

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    Well said Gideon!!

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I love the process of upgrading the gear

Gideon,
    Isn't it GREAT that you can come to a forum like this one and learn about 10 yrs. of experience in One Night! It could've taken you years to figure out all this stuff without HF. One may look at your one yr. journey and say that it has been an expensive one...yet by making wise choices on excellent gear you still have things that have enduring value and you have a family that can enjoy it with you. There are many that never learn those life lessons. If there was a college degree for Backpacking...I b'lieve you just earned your B.S. and now are working on your Masters!
    Welcome aboard!!!

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I agree 4 dog night; I've learned there's a couple of things it's really important to know...

First, to know what I don't know....

Second, to know where I can find someone who does and to learn from them; usually involves listening which isn't something many like to do anymore; most folks just want to talk.

You're spot on about the power of a forum like this; it really would take years to learn on your own from trial and error what you can learn in a few hours of reading.

I've always believed that the sign of true wisdom is the ability to learn from the experiences of others without having to repeat them yourselves; I was very foolish for a good part of my life; I'd like to think I've acquired just a bit of wisdom!

Gideon

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Gideon, sounds like you're on the good path. Always great to share those times with your kids. Enjoy. I, too, am a member of the bad knee/bad back club. Hammocking and going lighter has made it possible for me to keep hiking. Glad you're out there. Enjoy!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Life didn't turn out the way I'd hoped and it's not easy, not too much fun, but life it good! Tomorrow I leave for a business conference/show in Chicago. I like the city and it's a hectic business world out there but most of the time I'll be thinking about the upcoming hike with my son.

There's no "do overs" in life but there is the next day and what you make of it. Too many chase the big splashy things in life and miss how the simple little things add the true pleasure to life.

So enjoy my friend and make today count for something because once it's gone, it's really gone.

Well I have to go now; I'm going to light my Tin Man alcohol stove in my study and turn off the lights; I like doing that for some reason
    Very deep Gideon. Been there, done that. Assessing your life (where you've been, what you've accomplished, the paths left to walk) every once in a while is good for the soul. Just don't beat yourself up in the process.

The simple things are always the best . . . family, friends, a backpack and a long trail. I can see you are at that point - ready to make a change. It doesn't have to be a big change to make a difference in life perspective but sometimes big change happens. Good luck!

Take care this week.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Amen, Gideon.

Mike

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Nice!

While listening (reading) to those who have come before, remember you will take your own path as well. Be willing to accept the limits (biases, faults, etc...) of those "experts" and trust your own experiences as you gain them. There are many here who do things quite differently than the majority (or vocal minority). I guess what I am saying is, there isn't a right way... just a right way for you. The fun is figuring it out!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If you're still having back problems, these have helped my back a lot:
    http://www.aarnusa.com/
    I use the expedition sized pockets with a Featherlite Freedom and a smaller Peak Aspiration. They look a little strange, but worth the relief from back pain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast