Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by medinacaver View Post

It really is very difficult to find a place in Texas where you are allowed to just walk around. You know just being there.

Any place that is even remotely considered public is often trashed because the population has so few places to go.
    Amazingly stupid on the part of Texas officials and government, considering how big the state of Texas is!!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    ... We don't know enough about the legalities of wandering into the woods and setting up camp, so we went to an established campground.

So how do I know where I can camp and where I can't? I'm sure we can 'stealth camp' and probably get away with it, but we don't want to be somewhere we shouldn't.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks.
    Generally, camping is allowed almost anywhere in national forests and BLM lands as long as you or your vehicle are not blocking a trail, road or gate. There are a few exceptions, but, generally, just find a spot off a forest service road, park your vehicle on the shoulder or in a pull out and walk back into the woods a ways.

I hate campgrounds! It's the antithesis of why I go out into the woods. I seek solitude! Best of luck finding yours.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Amazingly stupid on the part of Texas officials and government, considering how big the state of Texas is!!
    Not so much stupid as different from other states. Just because Texas is big, doesn't mean land is open to the public.

It goes back to the original Republic of Texas prior to statehood. Land was not owned by the government but individuals. Unlike states that were territories that granted land to settlers. As a result, the land is owned privately except for very few areas.

Politics aside, it just simply is as it is and to make the most out of the options we have it takes educating officials, setting a positive example, and for off trail camping, cross the border... Arkansas, La, and OK are all just one day drives.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I go camping and hiking to get away from the obnoxious people, loud noise and trash. I would rather hike into the woods away from all of that. Campgrounds are just where all the loud obnoxious, trashy people travel to and do the same thing they do at home.
    It is amazing how few folks will venture even just 100 yards into the wood. They want to be near facilities. So, just hike in a little ways and set up camp.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    ...Campgrounds are just where all the loud obnoxious, trashy people travel to and do the same thing they do at home. ...
    !!! That is so true! Thanks for the laugh, BH! Now I have to clean the coffee spit-take off my laptop!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Sorry about that Pips, just thought I'd give you a laugh to start your week.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Luckily, here in northern Ontario, most of the land is Crown land, which means we can use it anytime we want. There are Provincial parks and other campgrounds which are public, but why go there when I can go anywhere else that I want? I find campgrounds full of noise, children, generators, t.v.s, etc., and besides, they make you pay! The only places were are limited from is private property (obviously).
    I can hike anywhere or throw my kayak in any lake and find a place miles away from everyone else. I don't want electricity or running water, flush toilets or cordoned off swimming areas when I camp...that's the whole point of camping!
    That being said, some of the more heavily used areas are in poor shape from people being just plain pigs. I wrote a post earlier this year about one of them when I went to paddle there, garbage strewn about and just generally a mess. I was disgusted! As another poster has mentioned here, when I go to those places, I now pack a garbage bag and gloves, to clean it up when I see it. It doesn't teach the litterers any lesson, but it sure makes the place more inviting for the responsible people.
    Debi

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    A friend and I recently had to camp at a campground due to bad weather on our 3 day hike.

Around midnight our neighbors decided to come in and proceed to make tons of noise, cook dinner, turn on and off there car, let their kids talk loudly, etc...

The next morning as we got up our neighbors were already up making noise, so I said to my friend in a semi loud voice, "Did the Clampetts wake you up to?". He laughed a little and we talked about how pissed we both were about it.

About 1/2hr later one of them came over and said how sorry they were for the noise the night before.

We packed up about an hour later and left.

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    You need to get over it. Early adopters always have to work around. Apparently you were not on the leading edge of the snowboard revolution. Not that I minded being kept to the backwoods myself at the time. It was a hard acceptance. Having someone ask questions to understand something new, is not strange. I just tell them up front, if they indicate unfamiliarity with hammocks, and explain the tree savers and what their concerns should be about someone who does not use them. Never had a problem yet.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

which are your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    The State Parks around me are all great. My favorites have backcountry camping sites as well as the family sites, and are on the whole clean and pretty.
    NCPatrick: which state parks are your favorites? where have you hung at before? i would imagine you would pick some that would work for me since we are practically neighbors.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast