Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I guess I've been lucky with my experiences hanging in northern MI and WI. I've been both in National Forest and MI state parks with very few other people around. So, I think I'll stay out in the middle of nowhere.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    There's probably an app for that....any of it

All that aside. We share this earth with all sorts. Some are great, some are not, and some are just so so. We started carrying a small trash bag with us last spring to gather trash we find....we're mostly in national parks (same problem just spread out more).

As for the state park personnel, they just haven't been educated yet and luckily members here have taken upon themselves to help educate those state parks that need a little help in that area....very diplomatically of course. We've come a long way with state parks in just over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Uncle Mike, Spaceweaseal, Caveman, and a few others knew that the following was sure to come:

You are going to be very, very dissapointed with the NFS if you want to camp in a National Forest between 15 September and 1 February. You will be restricted to camping with deer hunters in specially designated "Hunters Camps." If you think camping next to a retired couple in their RV is a dissapointment, try camping next to deer hunters out for a weekend with the boys.

Half of the decent trails in the state are shut down due to deadfall in the forest from last year's drought. The Forest Service has been slow to clear them, and has turned away the volunteers who stepped forward to help clear them. The maps of the closed areas at the trail heads are woefully out of date, and the boxes for registration forms at the trailhead to the Wilderness areas haven't been filled in months---and its against the rules to go into them without filling out a registration from. More than half of all the "Hunters Camps" are in the closed areas ($5,000 fine if you're caught in them), which only means more hunters in the camps that are open.

From what Ive heard from other hiker/campers in other states (except NH it seems where the AMC mostly runs the trail system), the Forest Service seems to be adopting rules and policies designed to keep people out of the woods.

We had a hike and hang planned for last weekend on the Lone Star Trail and ended up going to Fairfield State Park.
    That's a truly sad state of affairs, and one that really does warrant a few letters to high ranking NFS officials or whoever their bosses are.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Any that works
    Basically, Texas has no public lands to speak of with the exception of Big Bend, and the patchwork national forests in east texas (100acres NFS next to 50acres private next to 20 acres NFS next to 50 acres private) and a previous poster was correct, don't go during deer season. regulated hunters camps only. Think alcohol gunpowder and a desire to shoot anything that moves.

The Texas State Parks are just that, Parks. With far too many visitors and the needed rules to govern them. Some parks should be shut down for a few years just to have the ground recover from the trampling and compaction.

It really is very difficult to find a place in Texas where you are allowed to just walk around. You know just being there.

Any place that is even remotely considered public is often trashed because the population has so few places to go.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medinacaver View Post
    Basically, Texas has no public lands to speak of with the exception of Big Bend, and the patchwork national forests in east texas (100acres NFS next to 50acres private next to 20 acres NFS next to 50 acres private) and a previous poster was correct, don't go during deer season. regulated hunters camps only. Think alcohol gunpowder and a desire to shoot anything that moves.

The Texas State Parks are just that, Parks. With far too many visitors and the needed rules to govern them. Some parks should be shut down for a few years just to have the ground recover from the trampling and compaction.

It really is very difficult to find a place in Texas where you are allowed to just walk around. You know just being there.

Any place that is even remotely considered public is often trashed because the population has so few places to go.
    Things got worse this year. Heretofore, restricted camping was only during Gun Deer Season, roughly the first weekend in November or last weekend in October until late December or early January.

This year, as a "convenience" they have decided that it will henceforth be 15 September---two weeks after the opeing of Bow Season---until 1 February, which is the end of Black Powder Season and a month after the end of Gun Season.

I can understand the danger to people moving around in the woods as dawn breaks, or those downrange when a shot is fired and misses its target when high powered center fire rifles are being used, but such dangers simply do not exist during Bow and Black Powder seasons. And they apparently decided that bow hunters are able to identify thier targets between 1 September and the 15th, but there after they become lethally inept.

It makes no sense. The only people this rule is a "convenience" for is the minimum wage bureaucrat who's job it would be to check the same freakin g website I do ti find out when Gun Season opens who now doesn't have to do it because they've closed the trails down 6 weeks prior to the event.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    We don't know enough about the legalities of wandering into the woods and setting up camp, so we went to an established campground.

So how do I know where I can camp and where I can't? I'm sure we can 'stealth camp' and probably get away with it, but we don't want to be somewhere we shouldn't.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks.
    I have reconned over 30 of the Texas State Parks and actually camped in about 18 of them. Each is unique not only in geography but "house rules" and attitude.

Here's some quick thoughts...

"established campground" = rules. Each is a little different and I've not found a single one that would not allow hammocks. Some expect you to be only in the designated camp site, others allow more latitude as to where you hang. Very few look favorably on more than a few paces out of an improved site.

Some, even with primitive sites, require you to be in a designated campsite.

"So how do I know where I can camp and where I can't?" The best answer I can give is to ask. This is not one of those places where forgiveness is easier to get than permission. I've found that when I ask, and in the process explain the LNT techniques you mentioned, that I get a favorable response more often than not.

You are going to be very, very dissapointed with the NFS if you want to camp in a National Forest between 15 September and 1 February. You will be restricted to camping with deer hunters in specially designated "Hunters Camps." If you think camping next to a retired couple in their RV is a dissapointment, try camping next to deer hunters out for a weekend with the boys.

We had a hike and hang planned for last weekend on the Lone Star Trail and ended up going to Fairfield State Park.
    Unfortunately, Sarge is right WRT the National Forest. When the trails are open, and deer season is over, they are great. You can hike. You can camp off trails and beyond campsites. But when the the woods are full of bullets and beer, the options are less appealing.

The reason we had such a good experience at Fairfield Lake and why we use that for our Texas Fall Hang is that several years of "good neighbors following the park rules" has developed a positive relationship between park officials and hammock hangers and we were able to camp much farther off the official campsite than many places allow.

Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    What really gets us though is that the parks put an incredible amount of effort into accommodating the hordes of people who make a huge mess of the area and generally show no respect for nature.

As a result, we've deiced to lean more toward the national parks or state parks with good primitive sites instead of supporting the ones that encourage tailgating.
    I share your frustration about the hordes and mess. It is because of folks like those that we see rules limiting the flexibility we desire. The other reality though is it's those hordes that are funding the parks and in a state with very limited public lands, we have to make the best of the options we have available. That's why I try to be polite, follow rules, and educate as I go.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I've looked into the Wildlife Management Areas, and I guess I should make a post about them soon. I'm not sure of the status of camping during deer season, but I do know that camping is allowed in most of them---although there are no "official" campsites or developed trails.

At present, it seems to be the best alternative to trampled campsites and mismanaged Federal lands.

Again;

Not in Texas between 15 September and 1 February. The Forest Service has closed trail side camping {...}
    I think you and I were posting at about the same time, so I didn't see this info.

Seems it's a bit differnt rule where you're at - Where I'm originally from and where I'm currently at now they basically just tell you when you're out during hunting season to "keep your wits about you and wear bright clothing. Don't go running around past the treeline during the early morning hours"
    - Especially with a piece of white fur pinned to your bum... (just sayin...)

Sucks to be in your shoes in TX it right now it seems...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Again;

Not in Texas between 15 September and 1 February. The Forest Service has closed trail side camping during the safest time, weatherwise, for camping in Texas.
    This is sad news! Fortunately for me, I spend my time in either Florida or New Hampshire and there are no restrictions.

Of course everything from my shirt to my poncho is international orange.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Uwharrie National Forest

Which is why I like Uwharrie National Forest here in NC.

Dispersed camping is allowed - also fires. The only difference during hunting season is that they ask hikers/campers to wear bright cloths.

There are some restrictions on just where you can camp - like not next to the parking lot or trail head - so for the most part you can wander in and pick your spot.

Chances are if you think its a good camp site somebody did also and you'll find a fire ring of stones right near where you would want to put one.

A bunch of the NC Hangers will be at Yates Place this coming weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast