Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: edc knife

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

edc knife

Let me say first what I had( lost this weekend) SOG flash II (older model) black tini tanto.

This was a great knife. I need it to be self assist, deep bury, and set up just like the flash( clip reversible and on the opposite side of the handle from the blade)

At least 3 inch blade. I do not want 1/2 serrated. I would prefer Black tini and it doesn't need to be tanto I had just gotten that one cheaper. I am not that much into knives that I care about the blade metal. And after all the people who told me the plastic handle would be junk I am only getting a new knife because I lost my old one. As an ACO, Cubmaster, father, husband, backpacker and over all known for having a knife on me at all times that SOG has never failed. I am not trying to say its the best just that it was good enough for anything i needed.

I could, and may, buy the aegis for $44 on amazon because its what I know.

So what other brands make the specs I need and other websites besides amazon for a cheap deal or does anyone have a knife they would be willing to part with?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use Knife Center on a regular basis for knife purchases in line with what you're looking for in a knife. I've had very good interactions with them and have probably made a dozen purchases over the past few years; never had an issue. Their prices are usually very competitive with other sites and they've got a good selection of many well regarded brands.

As for specific knives, I'm a big SOG fan, but find myself with a CRKT in my pocket more often than not. I tend to be tough on my pocket knives and the CRKTs (for the most part) offer a nice balance of value and quality. I know there are 'better' brands out there and I have a few of them too, but the SOGs and CRKTs offer what I need at a price that doesn't make me weep. My current folder has been in my pocket for about 4 years now; gotta be a new record. I've tried to replace it a few times with knives from Benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco, etc, but haven't found one that does as well for as little paid. Fine knives to be sure, but I don't need 'fine' in my pocket. I need something that works and won't cause me undue stress if it gets lost or broke in the process. SOG and CRKT both meet the reliable standard for me and the price standard for my wallet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I use Knife Center on a regular basis for knife purchases in line with what you're looking for in a knife. I've had very good interactions with them and have probably made a dozen purchases over the past few years; never had an issue. Their prices are usually very competitive with other sites and they've got a good selection of many well regarded brands.

As for specific knives, I'm a big SOG fan, but find myself with a CRKT in my pocket more often than not. I tend to be tough on my pocket knives and the CRKTs (for the most part) offer a nice balance of value and quality. I know there are 'better' brands out there and I have a few of them too, but the SOGs and CRKTs offer what I need at a price that doesn't make me weep. My current folder has been in my pocket for about 4 years now; gotta be a new record. I've tried to replace it a few times with knives from Benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco, etc, but haven't found one that does as well for as little paid. Fine knives to be sure, but I don't need 'fine' in my pocket. I need something that works and won't cause me undue stress if it gets lost or broke in the process. SOG and CRKT both meet the reliable standard for me and the price standard for my wallet.
    What crkt knives work like my sog?

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Never had a SOG knife but Love my Spyderco Endura, $75.00 and my Persistance, $26.00, (On amazon), their new line that is a high carbon steel (easy to sharpen, wicked sharp, full grind) that is a very good value. Tenacious, $30.00, (On amazon), a little longer blade. Made in China but just like Japan, they are starting to get they quality aspect of their goods to the level the US expects. (Good NutnFancy review too) Downside, no Tanto blades yet... Cold Steel, Recon 1 Tanto would be the best value in my opinion. About $60.00 on amazon
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You mean assisted open? There are plenty. Go to the CRKT site and search for assisted open and you'll find pages of offerings.
    The lock is different from the SOG locks, but otherwise function just as well.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    You mean assisted open? There are plenty. Go to the CRKT site and search for assisted open and you'll find pages of offerings.
    The lock is different from the SOG locks, but otherwise function just as well.
    assisted and with the clip on the bottom of the hilt. and reversible. I like the blade to ready to open coming out of my pocket on my right side. I also would prefer something like the sog in that it sits deep.

I will check the site.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't remember seeing anything from CRKT with a reversible clip.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I don't remember seeing anything from CRKT with a reversible clip.
    I was just going to type that in checking the website i didn't see anything either with a reversible clip or with the clip on the bottom.

I also can't pull up the knife site from my work computer. I will check it out later.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I used to carry hinge down myself, but when I picked up my current EDC (a CRKT M16-12ZER) I was surprised how quickly I got used to the different orientation. When I draw the knife between my index and thumb, it places it perfectly for use.

Are you used to a "flipper" opening that uses the pocket? I had one of those before and it was opening as it was leaving my pocket (super fast). Now I think I prefer this method.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Perhaps consider the Benchmade Barrage. I had the mini barrage for a time. Nice knife with great assisted opening. The barrage sounds to meet your criteria better. I carry a Benchmade Sequel and love it, but it is a bit shorter than you desire and not assisted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast