Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    still not sure if the rope is that bad of an idea with something around it. i think ill have to try it out both ways for an hr or so and see if theres that much of a difference on the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Take a look at this. It might be something you can use.

http://www.junglehammock.com/youtube.php
    I Like it!!!! I'm going to have to see what I can come up with to keep it adjustable on the fly.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    OK, this will be my last post here. I trust others might jump in and try to make the point.

I did not say "public opinion"...I said "public perception" as in non-hammocking public, land managers, park rangers, etc.

Last edited by gmcttr; 10-30-2012 at 22:07.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    understood. didnt mean to upset, just wondering personally

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDieselTwitch View Post
    Two guys went four wheeling. both had winches. both vehicles weighed in at about 5000-6000 lbs. both get stuck. One guy throws a 10,000 3" wide strap around a tree and hooks his winch on to that. pulls his truck out. the second guy puts a nylon sheath on his 7/8" syn rope and wraps it around the tree. the first guy tore the bark from the tree. the second guy did no damage at all...

Bark/wood can take a compression force far better then a sawing action. even a strap will saw through the bark when you move around. where if its in a sheath it will do much less damage.

Over the years I've learned that public opinion is normally wrong and based on falsehood and half truths lol
    Half truths or not..public opinion usually drives the bus. The stigma of rope vs tree is what has had hammocks banned or frowned upon in many forests and parks. Tge use of webbing is what is has regained our welcome. HYOH by all means but it just going backwards to me.

Cool story....lots of variables though. Even straps aernt 100% but spread the stress out more. I personally even put tubing over my tarp ridgeline now.....sorry for thread drift.

I agree with previous posts those devices are for guylines it appears. I hate to preach it but whoopies are just so dang easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Half truths or not..public opinion usually drives the bus. The stigma of rope vs tree is what has had hammocks banned or frowned upon in many forests and parks. Tge use of webbing is what is has regained our welcome. HYOH by all means but it just going backwards to me.

Cool story....lots of variables though. Even straps aernt 100% but spread the stress out more. I personally even put tubing over my tarp ridgeline now.....sorry for thread drift.

I agree with previous posts those devices are for guylines it appears. I hate to preach it but whoopies are just so dang easy to use.
    I agree. But I've never been one to let public opinion drive my life. What can I can I like to fight the man. Has a half way meeting point. at the first sign that my system is cutting through bark I will quickly change over. I tried to come up with a better way todo straps but couldn't come up with any thing that worked as quickly as the rope. I tried to find an adjustable knot that would work on strapping. I thought about using some type of sliding belt buckle but at the 1/2" size they are not strong enough. I've been experimenting with different knots and other techs to help loosen the knot when tension is released.

I think I'll have to make a video when I find a way. You'll be impressed at how fast it sets up now. Re adjusting after I've loaded it is a little harder.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Have you tried to time setting up the hammock yet? Curious what kind of time savings you are getting here. I'm of no help on the knots and whatnot... Still rolling with the standard adj. webbing on the blackbird, keeping it simple i guess.

You might also enjoy this thread if you haven't seen it. It was a challenge on the site to setup all gear and break it back down again.

Speed test
    Last edited by TallPaul; 10-30-2012 at 23:49.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Tree damage is more than just the visible damage to the bark. The pressure on the cambium layer under the bark is the concern since its what keeps the tree alive. You may see no visible damage but come back later to that tree and it may not be too healthy. I just think its as important to do no potential harm as it is to do no actual harm. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    If a rope with a tautline hitch worked, it might be the easiest of all suspension methods. But, as you have found, it often slips and can be difficult to untie. You may be able to untie it easier if you make it a 'slipped' hitch by running the tail part ways back thru so it can be pulled out easier.
    For ease of use I like the web and buckles - however, not the lightest or most compact.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I still think the ring buckle system works the best. The best description and pictures I've seen is:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam...ion.html#Rings
    To me, one of the biggest advantages of the ring buckle system is the continuous straps from the rings connected to the hammock to the tree and how easy it is to adjust. You never have to worry if your tree saver straps are big enough, because most of the suspension is made from strapping. If you include a couple of good biners, the setup is much faster than using a small loop in the strap you thread the strap through at the tree side. It's a little bit heavier than the whoopee suspension, but faster and easier to set up. I've seen a few other threads here where people using the whoopee suspension have given up on it due to the complexity of getting them just right.

As to which is better, bare straps, or rope threaded through tube type straps, don't know. I think the ring buckle system won't work too well with the tube type straps with rope inside due to the fact you need flat straps to thread through the ring (or cinch buckles, tri-glides, etc.) buckles. One nice feature of the continuous straps is the ability to wrap the straps around trees several times when the tree is small enough to do so, but to only use one wrap if the tree is too large to make two wraps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast