Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rope Tensioner Ideas

So in building my first bridge hammock, I wanted to make the suspension system extremely versatile and quick to adjust and tension. I used a modified version of the Taut-line Hitch. the standard one proved to inconsistent and slipped at random so I tired this one with 2 extra loops and put a backup knot on it and its working really well. I call it the fist knot because it looks like a fist hanging on for dear life

However big problem Im having is getting it lose and adjusting after I've loaded it. I have found that bending and twisting the knot loosens it some but not with out some work. I was wondering if any one else has come up with a way to quickly adjust their lines?

The other way I've come up with is to use a small plate of aluminum and drill 4 holes in it and round the edges. basically it would act as a two point adjuster. letting me slide it up and down on the rope shorting the length of the suspension by 1/2 the distance moved. also I could adjust the the rope tied of to it to further take slack out of the rope if needed. My question is if it would end up damaging the rope and dropping me on my butt in the middle of the night

Here is what I'm using now

I want to use a modfied version of this

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I wouldn't recommend either way you have suggested. There are many ways to simply tie off the rope that are easy to adjust. However, I suggest you try whoopie slings/tree straps or straps with any version of "ring buckles" for no knot solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I wouldn't recommend either way you have suggested. There are many ways to simply tie off the rope that are easy to adjust. However, I suggest you try whoopie slings/tree straps or straps with any version of "ring buckles" for no knot solutions.
    Yeah, was kind of trying to avoid the whoopie sling. I like being able to whip the rope around the tree and pull it tight and be done. the whoopie sling takes more work.. I know it sound lazy but I often make camp in the dark. Also tell me if Im wrong but the Whoopie sling is meant more for normal hammocks. I should have mentioned that I have a bridge hammock.

I found these but Im not sure if they are strong enough

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    rope around the tree? no straps?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    rope around the tree? no straps?
    Rope inside of a strap. elimates the cutting effect of a rope alone. The strap allows the rope to slide around and event out.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i like the second idea you have. and im thinking that they would be strong enough. you could probably get them in different weight bearing too.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The type of tension devices you are comtemplating are made for tent guy lines and not for the stress in a hammock suspension.

Please use tree straps. The hollow tube sheathing you are using does not do much to spread the pressure of the rope. Yes, it will help prevent a sawing action from doing damage, but we also need to be concerned with the pressure exerted on thin barked trees and even public perception.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    good point gmcttr, but my question is what if its not for a long hang? would that still be ok? or still to much damage for the tree? me i like my atlas straps. but always looking for something new and different.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Take a look at this. It might be something you can use.

http://www.junglehammock.com/youtube.php

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The type of tension devices you are comtemplating are made for tent guy lines and not for the stress in a hammock suspension.

Please use tree straps. The hollow tube sheathing you are using does not do much to spread the pressure of the rope. Yes, it will help prevent a sawing action from doing damage, but we also need to be concerned with the pressure exerted on thin barked trees and even public perception.
    Two guys went four wheeling. both had winches. both vehicles weighed in at about 5000-6000 lbs. both get stuck. One guy throws a 10,000 3" wide strap around a tree and hooks his winch on to that. pulls his truck out. the second guy puts a nylon sheath on his 7/8" syn rope and wraps it around the tree. the first guy tore the bark from the tree. the second guy did no damage at all...

Bark/wood can take a compression force far better then a sawing action. even a strap will saw through the bark when you move around. where if its in a sheath it will do much less damage.

Over the years I've learned that public opinion is normally wrong and based on falsehood and half truths lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast