Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad

New tricks for the NS

Howdy all,
    Been awhile since I've posted, what learning to be a paramedic and all, but since my dad is dragging me back into the woods (let it be known Im hardly complaining) I got to thinking how I could extend the temp range of my current JRB quilts. Lately I've been using the N/S for an underquilt (before the uproar let me explain). I like the feature set of the N/S, but I really like having my WM MegaLite sleepingbag since its a little warmer and I can go to ground a lot more comfortable if i have too. So, since the N/S is really only good for 30ish, I though hey what if i made it into a half, quilt and use my GG 1/4 pad(s) for lower extermity warmth. I carry one anyway for a frame in my pack, so lets use it. I tried it tonight on my new WB Blackbird and it was awsome. My back was REALLY warm, even though Im sure there was some down compression, there is still plenty of down to keep me warm. Still a few kinks to work out with the WB Blackbird and the quilt (It seems to want to ride a little higher on the right side, but Ill find a way) I think by not using the pullouts the quilt will be closer to me, just like in a HH. Ill try to get some pics up sometime in the near future since I seem to have a little more time since clinical rotations are over for the semster.

Just as an after though, I fairly sure Im NOT the one who came up with the odd notion to use this style of quilt this way. Anyone else using this idea. I think it will do well to lighten my load this winter.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion (or reminder ). I have a No Sniv. I'm gonna experiment with this and see how it works.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Do you have loops at the half way point and how do you need extra bungee to get it from your butt to the support? I need to try this on my bridge.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Do you have loops at the half way point and how do you need extra bungee to get it from your butt to the support? I need to try this on my bridge.
    I did this mod last winter on a Nest. Put extra tabs on the half-way point, and ran shock cord from the butt-corners to the hammock foot-end corners.

Things I'd do differently....make this more like a 3/5 length quilt by putting the tabs offset, and hitch the folded edge near the head end. If positioned so that my head is off quilt (and on pillow) this extends the lower section of the quilt, 1 layer, past the butt and covers the upper thigh also.

On the extra cord I'd look to attach it to a hook on the suspension webbing of the bridge. A more direct way to pull it "up" than to run the cord all the way to the foot end.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Howdy all,
    Been awhile since I've posted, what learning to be a paramedic and all, but since my dad is dragging me back into the woods (let it be known Im hardly complaining) I got to thinking how I could extend the temp range of my current JRB quilts.
    Your in medic school, and can still write?!?!?
    After I finished I barely had enough brain function left to breath on my own. For months it seemed like: me takld reele funne an me no kold rite wurds.

OH, my wife says that you must have had someone write this for you,,,, nevermind.

When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Dutch, et al,

FWIW, ladder loops at the mid points of the long sides of JRB quilts is a free option, available at the time of order. It exhists to facilitates users of the older symetric stlye HH... In reality, it is available to anyone who asks for it.

The means to order it, and all available modifications, is on the New JRB web site, click the button at the top of the quilts section on the Products page.... or go here... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Modifications.htm ... scroll to last modification... Put it in your cart and check out...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    ...I think by not using the pullouts the quilt will be closer to me, just like in a HH...
    Are you referring to the HH positioned loops on the quilt or the Blackbird's pullouts. I suspend both the Nest & Mt. Washington just by the end suspension. The quilts do tend to pull to the right when sliding into the hammock. A simple reach and readjustment of the quilt while laying in the Blackbird deals with the slightly off centered quilt. Once adjusted it has stayed properly positioned.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Your in medic school, and can still write?!?!?
    After I finished I barely had enough brain function left to breath on my own. For months it seemed like: me takld reele funne an me no kold rite wurds.

OH, my wife says that you must have had someone write this for you,,,, nevermind.

Nope, for the moment I can still write. Last week though I would have seriouly doubt it, seeing I got maybe 4 hrs of sleep a night. As for the N/S, I just folded it in half and sewed loops. Right now Im using some old elestic bands to use as suspension, but shock cord is on the way. I use a little more than what JRB uses, but Ill find out the exact length once I get the cord here.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I had one of those "ah duh!" moments last night as I rigged up my hammock for a little cold weather testing. To wit, the Nest is nominally 48" x 78", which means that when folded in half it becomes 48"x39". Which means that the long edge is now the head+foot ends mated. Last winter I hung this with the same orientation as usual, which meant 39" or so of length. I'd like more. So I hung the quilt 90 degrees oriented from the usual orientation to get 48" of length. The drawback is there are no cinching cords at the new ends. But the orientation is narrow enough relative to the corners that I was able to close off new head and leg ends with tension on the shock cord.

Low last night was 23 degrees, I was warm below throughout.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 11-26-2008 at 10:11.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Grizz, I like it, I like it.

• + New Posts