Hennessey outer cover problem

Hello, I've been reading a lurking for a while. I can't find mention of this topic so sorry if it is redundant.

I have a Hennessey expedition zip model and bought the nylon outer cover. For some reason I thought it would attach more to the netting, so that I could have the netting open to get in, then zip the netting and outer cover down as one unit.

Instead, the cover attaches to glove hooks on the ridge line, and is designed so that the guy lines on either side of the hammock go through the cover to hold it down. Therefore it is impossible to have one side of the outer cover fully open to get in, meaning you have one half of the side to get in (the bottom half), then you maneuver yourself in place and zip the netting.

It's rather awkward and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if it pays to bother with the cover. Maybe having the standard tarp over it will be sufficent or better wind protection etc.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by gotta run; 01-20-2013 at 10:16.

Images
    Are you refering to the OVERCOVER http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...s/overcover_1/ ? With a bottom entry it's never a problem. With zip models you are limited to "the long half" for entry which isn't that difficult. I'm not sure about "the cover attaches to glove hooks on the ridge line" as mine is over the ridgeline. Are you refering to the connections on the cord / whoopies?
    Last edited by Roche; 01-19-2013 at 20:26.

That should say "problem" and not "Proven."

Yes, that is the cover. It lays over the ridge line and then clips to glove hooks on either end.

Each side of the cover has holes where the guy lines go through.

It is a zip model that I have, so I have to get in from the side and not the bottom. That's the challenge, because the over cover cannot be moved or lifted up once the hammock is set up.

Images
    Perhaps I'm used to it by now. Here is a quick and dull video of the overcover on a Deep Jungle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4EvCXRzxs

Images
    I always managed to just slip underneath mine with out too much problem, though that is not recommended by HH. It might not be all that hard to damage something. But not that big of a deal really.

But if I was using it a lot and it bothered me, I'd just rig up some sort of mod. On the side that you get in on, don't run the hammock side guy out cord through the hole in the over cover on that side. Instead, larks head a small piece of shock cord with a mitten hook or mini-biner on the end of the cord. Leave that side unhooked, and after you get in just reach over and clip it to the side ropes or whatever is handy. You might not even need shock cord, just a piece of line should be OK.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Sounds like you need to mod the cover on the zipper side. I'd start by using something like a shoe lace to tie that side down after I was inside the hammock.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Perhaps I'm used to it by now. Here is a quick and dull video of the overcover on a Deep Jungle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4EvCXRzxs
    Hmmmmm....

This is exactly my setup (though I don't have the jungle model), but I face the opposite direction on the lay, which is the way indicated for my model.

I haven't tried a lay facing the opposite direction but that would allow more room to slide in perhaps. Let me try that; sometimes the simple solutions aren't obvious. Otherwise I like the tie-down idea.

Images
    As the hammock is asymetrical, there is a "long" side and a "short" side with the zipper. I get in on the "long" side with the overcover opening just above my head. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    As the hammock is asymetrical, there is a "long" side and a "short" side with the zipper. I get in on the "long" side with the overcover opening just above my head. Hope this helps.
    Well that's the odd part because the opening is on the short side on mine. Unless I have it on backwards. Then again I installed it per the instructions...but I suppose it could be flipped. I'll give it a try.

• + New Posts