Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

SLS didnt work on one tarp, but did on the other? WTH?

So I got the UGQ Winter Dream 12 tarp in the mail monday, and Dutch set me up with a SLS tarp suspension since I figured that would get the most out of the cat cut LOOOOONG tarp, but when i set it up i had major issues!

when i got it hung, i spread the tarp out under the RL of the SLS and pulled the prussics till i couldnt pull anymore/they slipped, and there was still wrinkles in the peak of the tarp! the RL was violin tight and even when i staked it out, which i figured would add some more "tautness" to it i had wrinkles. then i tried (in the middle of the night no less) flipping the tarp over the RL thinking that would help, but NOPE. NOTHING i did fixed it, so the next day (after a slightly noisy night) i took the DLS (Dual Line Suspension) off my WL Big Daddy tarp (also provided by Dutch) and basically swapped the suspension with it on the tree still, and once i re tightened it i was fine! then, since i had a tarp with no suspension and a suspension with no tarp, i hung the WL Big Daddy from the SLS and it was PERFECT too!!!

so, what did i do wrong? or is the UGQ WD12 just too much tarp for an SLS type? I really liked the simplicity of the SLS over a 2 line.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Rev, not sure if this will be any help as I have no experience with the UGQ tarp. During my experimenting with a version of BearChaser's SLS my attempts at using prussicks on amsteel were a disappointment. Even with multiple wraps the prussicks would slip on the amsteel. Possibly because of it was new and still slick. Finally settled on mini whoopies of braided mason line between the tarp and the Alpine Butterfly Knots from which the hammock was hung. The whoopies could be tightened streatching the ridge of the tarp tight. Currently trying out MDSH's idea of sliding buried loops. Basically a loop on the end of 24" of 7/64" buried for a few inches inside the 1/8" amsteel of the SLS and connected to the tarp at the ridge tie outs on the tarp. Hope this is making sense. My tarp stays connected to the SLS and after hanging the SLS a quick tug on the tails on the sliding buried loop and the tarp ridge is tight. Another point in Bearchaser's system is the guy tensioners on the tarp. If they are set tight when guying the tarp they will maintain tension when the SLS/ hammock is loaded. Hope this might be of some help.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Olddog, when you talk about a sliding buried loop, I can't understand. If the loop is buried how can you make it slidable? I understand the rest of your rig, but this puzzles me. Can you post a pic of that part?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Another thought-mostly based on book learnin' - is to have the Prusik material to be smaller in diameter than your RL. And you probably tried this already, but go beyond the single or double prussik, say 4-5x.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    For what it's worth, I'm having good luck using taut-line hitch to my 7/64" amsteel. The guy-line cord is the stock ENO cord (crap) which I think is a 2mm polyester sheath and nylon/or cotton core. I've also played around with 1.25 z-line and had success (polyester sheath on spectra core). Make sure your guyline has a nice grippy sheath, and is a smaller diameter than your suspension cord and it should hold friction hitches to amsteel.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Olddog, when you talk about a sliding buried loop, I can't understand. If the loop is buried how can you make it slidable? I understand the rest of your rig, but this puzzles me. Can you post a pic of that part?
    Here are a couple of pics of the buried sliding loop. The green is the 1/8" SLS, the black the bsl. The first is with the loop tightened up to the bury, the second with the loop extended. The tarp ridge tie out will clip to the loop with a #1 S-biner and the bsl tightened thru the bury. With the SLS pulled tight the sbl will lock inside the bury and keep the tarp taut.

Need to add a bead and backsplice on the tail end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Hi REV, I use a single ridge line with all of my tarps, I use 2.2 lashit for ridgeline and prussics, slippery stuff. I had to increase number of wraps on prussic knots to prevent slipping. I also run ridgeline under tarp as I've found it provides for a tighter pitch with the WD. Haven't played around too much with over the tarp, just been too dang busy...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts