Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Hennessy SS Hole

Hey yose wise hangars! Any one using the Super Shelter Under Cover find the tension around the bottom entry hole bothersome? Anyone ever do anything about it? Not being a thread injecting artiste I am leery of getting the seam splitter our and attempting to remove the shockcord and sew it up.

Any suggestions? I'm considering adding a little lash-it to release tension, but that seems less than ideal.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I can't say I have ever noticed any problem. My undercover is always on. Maybe I am just used to it. On mine there is an adjustment line around the edges to tweak the fit. Maybe you could tinker with that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Yeah, it's a serious weakness of the HHSS. I have both the birth canal and side zip models...the bottom entry works okay if I make sure the UC suspension is good and tight but it still leaks a bit...and on the side zip model I wonder why there's not an UC specifically made for it.

I augment the pad with an Exped Multimat...still haven't figured out whether I like it better above or below the pad...works either way.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Sorta makes me wish I'd just went to 2QZQ for an UC...

Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    Yeah, it's a serious weakness of the HHSS. I have both the birth canal and side zip models...the bottom entry works okay if I make sure the UC suspension is good and tight but it still leaks a bit...and on the side zip model I wonder why there's not an UC specifically made for it.

I augment the pad with an Exped Multimat...still haven't figured out whether I like it better above or below the pad...works either way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I can't say I have ever noticed any problem. My undercover is always on. Maybe I am just used to it. On mine there is an adjustment line around the edges to tweak the fit. Maybe you could tinker with that.
    Same here, never noticed any problem, either in leaks or fit, which seems a more or less custom fit to me.

Dirtwheels, what exactly is the problem you are having? Is the tension somehow enough that it is causing some sort of discomfort? That tension helps to keep the pad snug against me head to foot, but I have never been aware of the tension when laying in the hammock. Except maybe with the net at the left shoulder area, where sometimes it seems to want to push the net inward towards my face. But I control that with a pillow sticking out leftward, or with extra tension on the side pull outs.

Or is it that you have a leak or draft like Steveflinn mentions? I have never noticed any problems with that on any of mine. Always seems to overlap to provide adequate coverage and wind block. But if you are using a side zip model, it seems like you could sew on some snaps or some mod like that to provide extra closing power. Probably could just hand sew them on. Or even just sew the bottom entry shut but I think I would prefer to leave the elastics still functional so that you would have some elastic stretch still available.

Many a time over the years I have thought of doing a certain mod but have never yet bothered: cutting the elastics where you can get hold of them at the bottom entry. Then tying on some extra cordage making the elastic cords longer and puttin them back together with a plastic cordlock like some of the UQ suspensions use. The reason I would do this is so the UC's elastic tension can be reduced when I add down insulation under the pad, released just enough so it will still hold the down snug against the HH pad, but not so much that it will compress all of the down's loft. I could increase or decrease tension at will.

No need to cut the shock cord, it's just an overhand not with two extra wraps - I've pulled them off before, and outfit it back on is almost easier than taking it off - if you just need some slack in the tension, then I would recommend undoing the knot, and adding in a few extra inches of your own by tying it in. Or you could just remove it altogether however I would seriously recommend that you find a way to keep the opening closed (Velcro, a few feet of thread, hand stitched every few inches in the seam already created for the shock cord channel. The end overlap so at some point in the process you will just have to deal with that by some means if you intend to sew it shut.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm nearly convinced the opening needs to be sewn shut, but my skills are not up to the results I seek at this time, I guess a lash-it extension it is. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    No need to cut the shock cord, it's just an overhand not with two extra wraps - I've pulled them off before, and outfit it back on is almost easier than taking it off - if you just need some slack in the tension, then I would recommend undoing the knot, and adding in a few extra inches of your own by tying it in. Or you could just remove it altogether however I would seriously recommend that you find a way to keep the opening closed (Velcro, a few feet of thread, hand stitched every few inches in the seam already created for the shock cord channel. The end overlap so at some point in the process you will just have to deal with that by some means if you intend to sew it shut.

• + New Posts