DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    I use and love the quilt liner/summer blanket from Jacks Are Better. I have used it alone and with a wool blanket in temps below 40*. It is always in my pack and a vital part of my set up

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I never got a 20 degree boost from a sleeping bag liner unless it was vapor barrier.

I do get a 20 degree boost from a sock. I do not like socks because I am claustrophobic, but they do work.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kadja View Post
    Hi everyone. I hope this is the right section because of its relation to the thru hike of the AT I'm planning. I planning on leaving a little earlier in the season than normal. So I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on using a cold weather sleeping bag liner to add warmth to the 20* TQ/UQ setup I planning on buying. I'm hoping that as it warms up i can switch to different combinations of these along with venting for my sleep system. I'm thinking of using the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner. This is also my first venture into cold weather/thru hike hammoking.
    Good luck on your hike. No fan of liners here. Remember you can mail yourself stuff along the way and mail things home as well. Swapping out gear this way will save you a lot of weight. That said, the weather can never be counted on so have a little margin of safety in your pack like mentioned below. Down jacket/ long johns, hat and gloves, etc to sleep in.

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    You said you have a 20* setup. I've owned the extreme reactor and I wasn't that impressed with it, especially for the weight. Have you considered pairing the UQ/TQ with a down jacket, a warm hat, down or fleece and even down pants and booties...some or all of which you might be carrying anyway..to supplement your insulation. Just a thought.
    Have a great trip!

Images
    ive done long distance on AT'09 jan/feb 500mi.
    you can see down to -10. how early are you leaving?
    i would carry a 24"-36"-1/4" closed cell torso pad. use a frame-less pack and roll the pad for the frame. (dual-use) clothes will handle the top.
    i would never carry a liner, consider silk long underwear. (dual-use)
    consider also a wearable top quilt (dual-use) to wear in camp.

Have fun,
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ 72"
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

silk liner from Vietnam

I just received 3 of the silk "bed sheets" from "Spirits of Vietnam" and they are a great deal for the money. Oh yes.... it's buy 2 get 1 free.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/spirits_of_v...&_trksid=p3686

Hammock
    Deep South Mountaineering
    Tarp
    Double Wide
    Insulation
    Xtherm
    Suspension
    Trees Best Friend
    I use a second bad that's a summer bag that's small enough to pack in addition and weighs little enough not to blow my load. 20 ounces of Sleeping bag extra adds closer to 30 degrees.

For an overnight its usually a cheaper and safe option. On the ground two 3-season bags will take you comfortable below 0
    Stephen Eren
    Deep South Mountaineering
    Co-Founder, Chief of Friendship

DSM CREED
    "May your bear hangs be high and your poos 6 inches deep,
    your pack always lite & beers in town CHEAP."

Insulation
    Yeti
    I used a silk liner in October-November on my AT thru in 2011. It added some warmth, but not sure how much. I ended up liking it more because it kept grime off my quilt and hammock and it felt good sleeping in it. After a while I traded my underquilt for a z-rest pad and slept in shelters with my liner and top quilt. It was warmer that way. I will get a lot of hate with this next comment, but if I were to thru-hike the AT again, I would not bring a hammock, especially for the colder portions. It is way easier to just hop into a shelter when it is creeping below 40 degrees and raining and sleeping there instead, especially when you are hiking all day, tired, and the last thing you want to do is set up in the rain when your friends are already warming up and drying off in their sleeping bags.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I've got the S2S Reactor, too. For me the temp gain was not at all worth the weight. I've also used silk, etc, and none of those worked better than a proper quilt.

I am a proponent of the AMK SOL Escape Bivy which you could use inside or outside of another system. It is totally breathable. Usually "breathable" is marketing propaganda or wishful thinking. But I'm not selling anything and the claim is verifiable.

It's something like a soft Tyvek crossed with an emergency blanket; but you can see through it from the inside. I've got about 3 weeks worth of nights in mine so far and it's replaced my summer sleeping bag altogether. Takes me down to 40-45F all on its own, with silkweight capilene longjohns on. It's 8 ounces and $50.

Best product I've found in the last decade. Well, the Escape Bivy and the zPacks Zero are probably tied.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks Fallkniven..........Those look great for the price. I think I'll have to get acouple, er three........four

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I also have a bag liner by sea to summit and its suppose to add 10* but i doubt it. I found that sleeping on my airpad and putting a small fleece blanket inside my bag provides alot more heat and i had the perfect spot for it in my bag so it didnt add to much bulk. However im considering the benefits of using ontop of my bag as a TQ. i feel like it almost prevents my bag from warming up by trapping the heat between me and the fleece. Does anyone else just use a fleece ontop of their bag compared to buying a TQ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast