Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Suspension
    flat poly webbing

spots to hang near the northwest burbs of Chigago

Hello I'm looking for places I can backpack near Chicago is there anyplace where its legal besides National forests? theres like 4 or 5 of those but they are all like 300ish miles away from me. you have to camp in the campgrounds in pretty much all the state parks right not out on (or just off of)the trails? I know that hammock camping can be stealthy but Id rather stay legal. I'm going to check out the Hoosier National Forest Shirley Creek Trail in Indiana at the end of the month for a couple days but thats cause I'ma be in indy for a wedding anyway I really want to check out the garden of the gods in shawnee at some point but I would really prefer to find some place close to me

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check out Forest Glen Preserve http://www.vccd.org/recreation.html It is an 11 mile backpacking loop by Westville, IL with two walk in campgrounds along the way. Been there three times, twice in winter and once this summer. Each time we were the only campers. There will be people (mostly runners) during the day, but that's it. Thing about Illinois is that if there is a campsite that requires hiking into, it is usually available. Sand Ridge SP is similar in that you have to walk in. When I talked to the ranger he said it never filled up. It is not as nice as FGP though. Reserve a shelter or two along the Ice Age Trail in Kettle Morraine South. Should only be 1-1/2 hour drive tops. Check out the places here to see if any of it fits for you http://www.campchicago.net/Camp_Chic...ping/Home.html
    The Deam down in Indiana is very nice. I'm sure the folks who know more about it can fill you in. I did a couple of hangs down there with folks from HF. Believe the first year there were over 40 of us there, what a blast! By the way, Illinois is free. just sign up ahead of time at FGP. They're kind of funny that way. Oh, and maps are hard to get. They have them in the office, but they are never open and they can't figure out how to put it on line.
    Last edited by Oms; 07-20-2011 at 05:58. Reason: forgot something?

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Suspension
    flat poly webbing
    thanks I'll be sure to give FPG a look a hike in only campground does sound a lot better than being stuck in a drive up one I'll look more closely at that other link too

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Being south of Chicago, this will help me too hopefully.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Check out Forest Glen Preserve http://www.vccd.org/recreation.html It is an 11 mile backpacking loop by Westville, IL with two walk in campgrounds along the way. Been there three times, twice in winter and once this summer. Each time we were the only campers. There will be people (mostly runners) during the day, but that's it. Thing about Illinois is that if there is a campsite that requires hiking into, it is usually available. Sand Ridge SP is similar in that you have to walk in. When I talked to the ranger he said it never filled up. It is not as nice as FGP though. Reserve a shelter or two along the Ice Age Trail in Kettle Morraine South. Should only be 1-1/2 hour drive tops. Check out the places here to see if any of it fits for you http://www.campchicago.net/Camp_Chic...ping/Home.html
    The Deam down in Indiana is very nice. I'm sure the folks who know more about it can fill you in. I did a couple of hangs down there with folks from HF. Believe the first year there were over 40 of us there, what a blast! By the way, Illinois is free. just sign up ahead of time at FGP. They're kind of funny that way. Oh, and maps are hard to get. They have them in the office, but they are never open and they can't figure out how to put it on line.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been to Sand Ridge State Forest numerous times. It's a great place for fall, winter and spring - overrun with ticks in summer. Lots of trails, lots of pine forest, lots of sand, and even a little cactus here and there. No water, carry what you'll need. Some photos.

You might want to join the Chicago Backpackers. They are very active with monthly meetings and lots of trips.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Trying to round-up info myself on the same subject.

Short-term goal of mine is to make it out to as many of these places as I'm able.

Here's a link to a series of trip reports I've written on the places I've been to in IL:

http://www.trailspace.com/people/eri...t=trip-reports

Save the Shawnee NF in downstate IL, they're all relatively close to the Chicago area in the N half of the state.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Labanauskas View Post
    Trying to round-up info myself on the same subject.

Short-term goal of mine is to make it out to as many of these places as I'm able.

Here's a link to a series of trip reports I've written on the places I've been to in IL:

http://www.trailspace.com/people/eri...t=trip-reports

Save the Shawnee NF in downstate IL, they're all relatively close to the Chicago area in the N half of the state.

Thanks. I'll look at the link later

• + New Posts