G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Okay did some more digging..some of hh's tarps are sil and some are pu. As is MEC's.

Perhaps you got a PU tarp by accident?

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    sounds like seam sealant, maybe. try dusting the underside with baby powder.
    I suggest being aware of the fact that if you use "baby powder", your gear will smell like baby powder. Maybe it will smell stronger than you might like.

I would find Talc withou any scent, same thing just no baby smell. It might take a little search, but it would be worth it unless you really like the baby smell.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I purchased a monsoon during the Oct sale, one of the doors is exactly as you say, and the tarp was listed as a silnylon tarp, it also weights what the silnylon is advertised to weight.

I plan on contacting Hennessy by phone, they've been great so far, I see yours is 4 years years old. Who knows what they'll say if you contact them, but you'll never know unless you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    I've got a Hennessy Hyperlite rain fly and the underside of the fly sticks to itself something fierce.
    When I take it out of the snake skins, parts of it are practically glued together and make an awful ripping noise when pulled apart (no damage however). i.e. when I take it out of the snake skins, a lot of it stays bunched up.
    It has always been sticky, but I just put up with it...until I bought a big silnylon Guides Tarp from MEC and realized that the MEC silnylon didn't stick to itself nearly as much...and come to think of it, neither does the silnylon on my Big Agnes ground sleeping thingy.
    I searched the forum with no luck, so I ask you, good peeps of HF, how sticky is too sticky and is there a way to keep my silnylon from sticking together so much?
    (I think I read in the DIY silnylon thread and slipping grip-clips thread that different thicknesses of sil coating can have an effect on the grip/stickiness of the fabric)

DT

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite (Scout, Expd)
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    I know this thread is six years old, but I found it doing a search for 'sticky silnylon'. I have a set of snakeskins that sat unused in their original plastic packaging for several years. When I took them out they were quite sticky, almost as if they had a light coating of rubber cement. I also have a tarp that was stored for a few years and it's a bit sticky as well. I seem to recall reading about silnylon outgassing vapors which can make the fabric sticky if it's tightly packed without airflow. I don't get many chances to use my hammocks, so I'm going to try to store them rather loosely with the snakeskins pulled back.

I dont know about silnylon, but I know that PU does break down over time and get sticky as described. it is basically the first step in the waterproofing delaminating from the fabric and totally ruining. Just today I threw away 2 beloved old tents (and a third may be on the way) for just this thing. Its a real bummer.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Quote Originally Posted by dougout View Post
    I know this thread is six years old, but I found it doing a search for 'sticky silnylon'. I have a set of snakeskins that sat unused in their original plastic packaging for several years. When I took them out they were quite sticky, almost as if they had a light coating of rubber cement. I also have a tarp that was stored for a few years and it's a bit sticky as well. I seem to recall reading about silnylon outgassing vapors which can make the fabric sticky if it's tightly packed without airflow. I don't get many chances to use my hammocks, so I'm going to try to store them rather loosely with the snakeskins pulled back.
    I'm guessing at least the skins and maybe the tarp are PU coated and not silicon(?) I think you can chemically remove the remaining coating from the skins and save them, they don't need to be waterproof. Not so sure about the tarp; it may well be on its last legs. You can try talc but I suspect the tarp is on the verge of being leaky.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12