Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

DIY Sock for HH Safari

Has anyone here made a sock for a HH Safari Deluxe, or recall any threads? I've searched and come up empty. I'm looking at some of the other DIY threads and can probably figure out the necessary adjustments, I just figured borrowing from someone else's experience might save some time.

I have a bunch of ripstop nylon hanging around and it won't stop begging me to be made into something... The SPE per JustJeff's design did not satisfy the voices...

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I don't believe I've ever seen a post about the safari deluxe. Is yours the bottom entry or the zip model? Either way it's going to take a great deal of material. The easiest thing to do is set-up your hammock and drape the material around it and pin up the excess. Make sure you have someone inside the hammock and mark the material. It shouldn't be hard.

Wish I could help more,but this is the same way I made mine for my blackbird. If you have the bottom entry then you'll have to use velcro or something for the entrance of the sock. If you have a zip model then use the TED Net design - works really well and is easy to make.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks Lost_Biker. I've got the zip model, so it should be pretty simple to figure out. I just need to recruit someone to occupy the hammock while I pin the material. I'm not sure when I'll have time to start it, but I'll be sure to post pics. The Safari needs more press, I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmatt72 View Post
    {...} The Safari needs more press {...}
    no doubt - I'm looking to put together a "Super Shelter" for the safari - pretty much I've found the same to be true, not much is out there for this model, which is sad
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Thanks Lost_Biker. I've got the zip model, so it should be pretty simple to figure out. I just need to recruit someone to occupy the hammock while I pin the material. I'm not sure when I'll have time to start it, but I'll be sure to post pics. The Safari needs more press, I love mine.

You can use sandbags or anything to put weight inside the hammock - Dog food bags, bag full of wet laundry, couple bags of cement or gravel - yep, I've used them all when no one would volunteer to be my test dummy.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Smile

My family is already on the verge of an "intervention"... Wait til they see me loading bags of dog food and rock salt into my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    My family is already on the verge of an "intervention"... Wait til they see me loading bags of dog food and rock salt into my hammock.
    Tell them your hammock doubles as a portable shed!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Will the UC from 2QZQ work? If not can you mod a poncho tarp to do the job and just buy the replacement pad from HH? I'm somewhat diasppointed with the UC in the HHSS kit with the opening held to the hammock with shock cord. I will have to sew it together at some point. BTW, the US & pad with my SS weighs in @ 17.5 oz., not including a space blanket, and the UC, EXP UL & Hex tarp will fit in a single pair of snakeskins with room for a bigger tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    no doubt - I'm looking to put together a "Super Shelter" for the safari - pretty much I've found the same to be true, not much is out there for this model, which is sad

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Will the UC from 2QZQ work? If not can you mod a poncho tarp to do the job and just buy the replacement pad from HH? I'm somewhat diasppointed with the UC in the HHSS kit with the opening held to the hammock with shock cord. I will have to sew it together at some point. BTW, the US & pad with my SS weighs in @ 17.5 oz., not including a space blanket, and the UC, EXP UL & Hex tarp will fit in a single pair of snakeskins with room for a bigger tarp.

Shoot 2QZQ an email - they can answer any questions and can do custom work also. They're easy to work with.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I got the materials today and had a touch of insomnia so I started sewing tonight. I got the bottom and one of the channels completed before my eyes bugged out. I hope to finish tomorrow and post some pics!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast