DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap

Custom Sizing of Quilts

Is there any rule of thumb out there for sizing quilts (both TQ & UQ) that has worked in practice?

I know Ray Jardines' was to measure floor to floor over the shoulder area and add 12" but is that workable.

And what about length of the TQ - the last thing one wants is to be tugging against their feet to get enough tucked in at the chin and lose it every time they stretch their feet out.

For a full length UQ how much longer than body length is long enough without being overkill?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Is there any rule of thumb out there for sizing quilts (both TQ & UQ) that has worked in practice?

I know Ray Jardines' was to measure floor to floor over the shoulder area and add 12" but is that workable.

And what about length of the TQ - the last thing one wants is to be tugging against their feet to get enough tucked in at the chin and lose it every time they stretch their feet out.

For a full length UQ how much longer than body length is long enough without being overkill?
    Nope! Theres no rule to sizing. Just measuring for yourself will give you a custom fit. The cottage industries that make UQ's and TQ's try to make a one size fit's all. A lot of them will make custom ones for you.

Some people like the foot box to be just big enough and the TQ to come to their chins. Some like a more roomy foot box and want the TQ to come to the top of their heads.

This is why if you DIY there's the calculators that help with a custom size.

For an UQ, I like the length to be longer than some like. I have a foot box on my hammock and my UQ is wider and longer than standard. I like the to be wrapped from above my head to below my feet. I'm 6' and my UQ is about 6'6" long - I'm a very cold sleeper.

Your questions are valid, but you can go to the UQ makers and see the widths and lengths they use and then have someone measure your outline while your laying in your hammock and go from there.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can give you a better answer than me.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts