Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't have a HH and have never used their tarp, but I couldn't imagine trying to camp with that tiny little thing. Even when it's not cold or rainy, having a larger tarp is nice for privacy and sometimes a source of shade. In all honest I regret not ordering the Superfly with my Warbonnet, as the extra privacy and wind protection of the doors would be mighty nice

The stock hennessy tarp is useless, you will get wet sooner or later,and so will your insulation, it better be synthetic. If you are shaving ounces go with the regular sized Macat (Spinnaker coming soon) or a JRB 8X8.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    thanks to everyone for the replies.. I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the tarp or not yet. I don't care about playing "host" for others, as I'd probably use it hiking the AT. But I do want to stay dry. So I'll have to try it out and see.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It looks to me like a lot of the protection of the stock tarp is dependent upon how you pitch it and what the season is. I've had my my stock tarp up in the back yard about a week or so. Maybe longer. It has both rained and snowed during that time but the last I checked my underquilts were still dry. I was amazed. I pitched the sides steep and close to the hammock. I have not been in the hammock so the test is not real scientific, but snow never accumulated on the quilts. I would be less likely to trust the stock tarp in the winter, but a vertical rain or rain in a well sheltered hanging site no longer seems like a threat to me. Particularly in the spring/fall when the three season quilts would be used. just my 2 cents.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    The stock hennessy tarp is useless, you will get wet sooner or later,and so will your insulation, it better be synthetic. If you are shaving ounces go with the regular sized Macat (Spinnaker coming soon) or a JRB 8X8.
    MaCat Deluxe Spinntex tarp weighs about the same as the stock HH tarp. More coverage, no mist through and it sets up and stays taut without the need for tarp line tensioner. Brian constructs a fine product. Has withstood +30 knot winds, bombarded by acorns and mix of sleet/snow/rain.
    Noel V.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It looks to me like a lot of the protection of the stock tarp is dependent upon how you pitch it and what the season is. I've had my my stock tarp up in the back yard about a week or so. Maybe longer. It has both rained and snowed during that time but the last I checked my underquilts were still dry. I was amazed. I pitched the sides steep and close to the hammock. I have not been in the hammock so the test is not real scientific, but snow never accumulated on the quilts. I would be less likely to trust the stock tarp in the winter, but a vertical rain or rain in a well sheltered hanging site no longer seems like a threat to me. Particularly in the spring/fall when the three season quilts would be used. just my 2 cents.
    Is the tarp tied to the trees/stand, or to the HH prussicks? I would be amazed if the quilts kept dry once you were inside and causing sag, if the tarp is tied to the trees.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tied to trees but clipped to the suspension lines. I agree the sag could make a radical difference. But here's the thing... I own a HH Hex and use that for the most part. I also have several DIY tarps I would probably use before I went to the stock. But the stock did _much_ better than I would have predicted. If I was doing a long hike I would be much more comfortable with the stock tarp now than I would have been before. I just wanted to test it out and I was pleasantly surprised.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sgt Rock went thru the tail end of a hurricane in the stock HH tarp. If you're willing to try a little harder to save weight, it's adequate...and not much more. You get a big weight savings. You lose some flexibility in site selection (need a more protected site than if you had a bigger tarp), room to sit on your hammock and cook under the tarp in bad weather (but you could probably skin your hammock and have enough room to sit on the ground to cook, if you pitched your tarp low enough to the ground), windblock (especially for the ends of the hammock), and some ability to use your tarp on the ground if you needed to.

But the tarp works...you just have to put a little more planning into bad weather site selection.

Also second the social aspect...I usually hang my 9yo's hammock with mine under the same tarp. No chance of that with the stock HH tarp, but that's not a consideration for most people.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Okay I decided...

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    MaCat Deluxe Spinntex tarp weighs about the same as the stock HH tarp. More coverage, no mist through and it sets up and stays taut without the need for tarp line tensioner. Brian constructs a fine product. Has withstood +30 knot winds, bombarded by acorns and mix of sleet/snow/rain.
    Today I bit the bullet and spent the money for a MacCat SpinnUL standard. A little less weight than the HH stock and larger, but $$. I can't wait to try it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Now what to do about insulation? GG evazote pad or Walmart CCF? Or should I bite the bullet again and spend $$$ for an UQ??? Who knew there were so many decisions to make! And I haven't even worked out my preferred suspension...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Today I bit the bullet and spent the money for a MacCat SpinnUL standard. A little less weight than the HH stock and larger, but $$. I can't wait to try it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Now what to do about insulation? GG evazote pad or Walmart CCF? Or should I bite the bullet again and spend $$$ for an UQ??? Who knew there were so many decisions to make! And I haven't even worked out my preferred suspension...
    Start with a wide evazote pad from Speer, GG, or Oware, maybe get two of them. On second thought, sleep on any old ensolite pad first and make sure you aren't a "back-sweater", if you are, you'll be limited to a hip/leg pad with a short UQ. The Warbonnet synthetic torso UQ is the trickest/slickest UQ out there, IMO. The only problem with them is the Climashield source is apparently in bankruptcy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast