Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Wink Darien UL for us Fat guys?

It happens to be so that I have been loosing weight a quite rapidly. Three months ago I did weight 285 lbs - no need to worry about getting Darien UL or any other UL-hammock as a matter of fact.

But behold, I have been loosing weight - now it is just a 250 lbs and still going down. I have begun to to dream... .... What if I could get a hammock that weights just about 13 oz, then a light cuben tarp and I already have my Warbonnet three season black mamba... most of You know the drill - I'm sure.

PapaSmurf recomends 200 lbs, but that is too low for me - my height is 6,33 feet (or 76 inch). But how about 225 lbs? Any ideas how many nights I will sleep in Darien UL if I weight 225 before coming crashing down?

P.S. Thermarest NeoAir XLite S R-value 3.2 8.0 oz, Zpacks tiny cuben tarp 4.0 oz, Darien UL 13 oz, Epiphany TQ 40 F about 15 oz -> 40 oz for total summer setup cabable for ground use. Very nice indeed!
    Last edited by voivalin; 11-03-2012 at 03:04.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I'm broke as all get out right now but I'm glad you asked this question because I'm curious myself.

I'd like to drop some weight (mine) so I could drop some weight (carried) because I'm waiting to get into the backpacking thing.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have an UL Dangerbird made with 1.5 oz ripstop that weighs just under 18 ounces with Amsteel Whoopies. I'll bet the standard Darien made with 1.6 ACU Camo RS would weigh about 15-16 ounces and be plenty strong enough to support 250 pounds. (you might be able to save an ounce by using nanoseeum netting.) Check with Papa Smurf on the weight of the rig and user weight ratings.

I don't think I would risk using lighter fabrics and Dynaglide whoopies if I weighed over 200 lbs. In my opinion, saving two ounces is not worth the compromise in safety and durability, but you may disagree.

David

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I don't think, even at the weight you plan to be at (250 lb) is a good match for a 1.0 oz fabric single layer hammock. I'd recommend at least the 1.6 oz fabric with double layers. If you want a single layer hammock, then I think the 2.25 oz fabric would be a minimum. The double layer would have the advantage of a place to put your sleeping pad so it doesn't wind up on top of you during the night.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    It happens to be so that I have been loosing weight a quite rapidly. Three months ago I did weight 285 lbs - no need to worry about getting Darien UL or any other UL-hammock as a matter of fact.

But behold, I have been loosing weight - now it is just a 250 lbs and still going down. I have begun to to dream... .... What if I could get a hammock that weights just about 13 oz, then a light cuben tarp and I already have my Warbonnet three season black mamba... most of You know the drill - I'm sure.

PapaSmurf recomends 200 lbs, but that is too low for me - my height is 6,33 feet (or 76 inch). But how about 225 lbs? Any ideas how many nights I will sleep in Darien UL if I weight 225 before coming crashing down?

P.S. Thermarest NeoAir XLite S R-value 3.2 8.0 oz, Zpacks tiny cuben tarp 4.0 oz, Darien UL 13 oz, Epiphany TQ 40 F about 15 oz -> 40 oz for total summer setup cabable for ground use. Very nice indeed!
    I'm 6'4 and a svelt 230. Planning on ordering a Darien 11 footer in 1.6 ACU. It's strong fabric and will hold 250 as long as you don't abuse it. This will be my go to summer hammock. Thinking the weight will be around 17-18 ounces. Also, Randy just made a chart with optimal weights for his fabrics.
    Hopefully he'll update his website soon with exact weights on the two Dariens.
    Last edited by doc; 11-05-2012 at 20:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I spent this past weekend in a single layer 1.1 hammock.... It did just fine. I should say that I'm 6'4" and about 265lbs I obviously cannot speak yet to how long it will last, but I felt totally safe.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I spent this past weekend in a single layer 1.1 hammock.... It did just fine. I should say that I'm 6'4" and about 265lbs I obviously cannot speak yet to how long it will last, but I felt totally safe.
    Did you get a lot of stretch?

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    And I'm still going downwards, today 245 lbs. Only 25 lbs to my goal.

Slimmer man and slimmer hammock!

Hammock
    ENO Double - (for now)
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ, Rev-X 0* TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great job, Voivalin. I'm working towards a goal of 200lbs from 235lbs. Hopefully in a few months I'll get there.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 60x132
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    All Dutch

Fantastic

Great job on the weight loss, I am down 92 so far and a ways to go yet, still 248.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast