Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bridge Hammock: First Model

Here is my first hammock, a 4 spreader bar bridge hammock. The material is Sunbrella. The design philosophy is a elevated bed that cannot fail! I used materials that I am familiar with, Flat webbing re-inforces the fabric, top spreaders are supported by 5/32 SS wire. 1/2 inch CCF used for insulation.

I just got back from the local park where I slung this baby up between two friendly trees. It is comfortable, I can lie on my side or my stomach, but the hammock is best exited by grabbing the ridgeline and pulling oneself up. The 18 inch sides keep the sleeper safe from wind or even falling out.

The tree straps are doubled 1 inch nylon tubing with ladder bars sewn at 6 inch increments
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm going to need a video to see how you get in and out.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Really interesting design. Have to say thoigh I am equally curious to how you're getting in and out.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I tried this upper and lower pole thing back in the heyday of the first DIY bridge thread. 2007 or 2008. I found the arrangement very sensitive to the relative sizes of the upper and lower suspension triangles . The tendency was for one, or the other, to be taking almost all of the weight from the hammock, leaving the other just sort of flapping uselessly. If they are exactly the right length it seems, in principle, that they could both carry weight, but that balance seems to depend on the angle of the suspension at the tree.

YMMV
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Wow! Very creative and integrated. Curious about the weight. I'm assuming more for car type camping?

Yeah this one was made without regard to weight.

It is a bit difficult to get in and out of...the first time I got in it I had to exit the end. Now I am able to get out the side if my feet touch or I learned that the ridgeline is the perfect assist to get out. I made my own adjustable ridgeline out of dyneema.

The reason for the tall sides is to ensure the sleeper does not exit the hammock, as this one might be slung very high up.

The geometry of the cables and the lower ropes is designed to keep most of the suspended weight on the upper, non-stretching metal cables. The lower stretchy rope does help shape the floor of the hammock.

I was comfortable lying in the hammock and I could sleep sideways or even on my stomach. I am contemplating sewing the CCF pad into the hammock to prevent shift. I will probably not need much of a pillow, as the floor forms to my head gives support.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I tried this upper and lower pole thing back in the heyday of the first DIY bridge thread. 2007 or 2008. I found the arrangement very sensitive to the relative sizes of the upper and lower suspension triangles . The tendency was for one, or the other, to be taking almost all of the weight from the hammock, leaving the other just sort of flapping uselessly. If they are exactly the right length it seems, in principle, that they could both carry weight, but that balance seems to depend on the angle of the suspension at the tree.

YMMV
    Basically the upper spreader supports the weight for stability. The lower helps to hold the floor flat/

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I just can't picture it being used. A video would certainly help me and others wrap our brains around it.

OK I am modding it to have a curved edge on both sides- re-inforced with webbing edge.

Quote Originally Posted by oreana View Post
    OK I am modding it to have a curved edge on both sides- re-inforced with webbing edge.
    Good idea, it would help lift the center and give better support. I am glad to see more experimentation around bridge designs.

Also you may want to enclose the lower spreaders in fabric, rather than attaching a loop to the center. This might help distribute the weight making the bottom flatter, and might also protect the lower spreaders from bending or breaking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast