Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bridge whoopie suspension

Hello everyone.

I have an idea for a bridge hammock suspension and was wondering what everybody thinks of it.

The idea is a whoopie sling that is made for each end of the hammock (obviously), but is made with one continuous piece of amsteel. To do this first you take a piece of cord maybe 16 to 20 feet long and make a locked Brummel with a small loop (I guess loop size doesn't matter that much) in one end. Then attach this to one loop (ring, or whatever is on the corners of your bridge) on the hammock (if you have a bridge hammock where the side you get in matters, then you want to start on the side you get in) using a prusik. Next step is to figure out how long you want the sides of your triangles to be. I had difficulty doing this as you will hear in a moment. After you determine the length, attach the cord to the other loop on the hammock leaving enough cord to make your triangle. I did this with a prusik and then buried the entire rest of the length of cord through an out at the peak of the triangle ( which was the difficult part for me because I didn't know how much the cord would shorten). Then you would go out to the marlin spike hitch and the line would come back and bury into the other leg of the triangle.

So your adjustment is done on one of the legs of the triangle and you have used one continuous piece of cord. On my first try at this experiment, I had about 2 inches or cord going between the 2 legs of the triangle at the peak, where you could attach a ridge line if you wanted.

So I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, likes/dislikes?

The advantage I see in this method is that you can shorten the minimum span because you don't have 2 feet of bury off of the peak of the triangle.

I have installed this on my BMBH and will be testing it this weekend in the field. Have already tested on my hammock stand and seems to work well.

Sorry not more pics... was in my basement with poor lighting, will hopefully get more up sooner rather than later.

Mark

Images
    Are you trying to make the triangles out of spliced amsteel, or are you trying to make an adjustable triangle? I'm not sure what the need of an adjustable triangle would be, but if your just trying to replace the webbing with amsteel, then make a set of dog bones....
    http://www.animatedknots.com/brummel...matedknots.com

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I couldn't see the photo so here it is...

You may have wear issues where the adjustable loop buries enter/exit the triangle.

Images
    Oh I get it, so the bury is the triangle. That's really neat. gmcttr, How has that worked for you?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Oh I get it, so the bury is the triangle. That's really neat. gmcttr, How has that worked for you?
    That's the OP's photo, not mine.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So as I'm understanding it from your description and the pic, you've run a continous length of amsteel throughout both sides of the hammock and you've turned the end triangles into UCRs?

If I've got that right then my one concern that by adjusting the length of the suspension triangles you change the compression force applied to the spreader bars and could potentially damage them. I'm going off the math and physics as I understand it, which is very well. Grizz could do a much better job at explaining it than I have I'm sure. But I'd say to make sure your spreader bars can handle the potential increase in compression forces without warping or cracking.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    His "triangle" dimensions never change...just the length of the loop coming out of the triangle and going to the MSH changes.

The buries acting as UCRs might be a concern but the extremely long buries may overcome this.

Markusforreal...I suggest putting a few locking stitches in the final fixed rope-end-to-triangle bury.

I think this is what is being described...
    IMG_3193 (Medium).jpg

Routing of the single piece of amsteel...
    IMG_3194 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-03-2012 at 20:51.

Images
    I like the idea. Let us know how it works for you. May have to try that one day.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Interesting. Might be good to minimize the angle at the apex by having the entry points closer together or have a trapping ring or loop to do the job. The angles shown in the photo look like they would stress and pull on the amsteel and shorten its lifespan.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Thanks for the help gmcttr. I was planning on putting up pics exactly like that, very much appreciated. The only thing is switch the fixed/adjustable bury. The shorter bury is the adjustable one, and the excess hangs out of the middle of the side with the fixed eye.

Have no report on the wear and tear yet... just made this yesterday. I am worried a bit myself on the 2 points where the buries exit/enter. But it was the first thing I checked when I got out of the hammock, and all looked good. Obviously need more time with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast