Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Miodified GrandTrunk Skeeter Beeter

I'm Quite Torn Big Mamajamba OR HG Cuben Fiber

Ive been doing a lot or research on tarps lately with the goal of upgrading from an ENO ProFly, and I am quite torn. Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with Sil or Cuben.

I want something lighter. Both fabrics more than meet the bill since I will be dropping from 22oz+
    I want something durable and this is where I am stuck. I have yet to read of bad durability problems with sil but I have read about many of them with cuben (all be it many seem conflicting).

The 2 tarps I think I have whittled it down to are the Warbonnet Big Mamajamba & the HammockGear 4Season Cat Cut Cuben. I want a 4 Season tarp and both will give me that option. Normally I'm quite cheap but When I price the BMJ with doors I'm only about $100 or less away from going Cuben.

My concern is I don't want to regret my purchase on either side. I don't want to wish I had gone lighter or find out the cuben isn't as durable as I would have hoped.

Also I'm a little weary of the split rings on the Warbonnet and am curious how they hold up.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Having had both of them, first let me say both are excellent tarps. The split rings are a non issue, they are strong and work great. If I had to do it over again and just buy one it would be the cuben tarp. I love the weight, pack size and the built on doors. Although don't forget about the superfly which as I understand it is a BMJ with built on doors, or is it the BMJ is a doorless superfly either way all great tarps.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    I have the MJ and love it. I decided against the doors because of the extra fiddle factor. They (doors) aren't difficult to put on and seem like they would do the trick but not for me.

My suggestion is to go with a integrated tarp with doors, e.g, Warbonnet Superfly ($130) or the Cuban from HG ($299). I'd love to get the cuban but cost is a factor.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres a shot of the two tarps laid over the same ridgeline. You can see they both have the same ridgeline length, but the panel size and cat cuts are a little different.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    All thing being equal, IMO it boils down to money. If you don't mind the extra $130 or so, get the cuben for weight savings.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I like the ability to remove the doors to save on weight in the summer that's the reason I like the BMj but I figure with cuben it's so lite it's a non issue. My main concern with the cuben is durability. I don't want to pay that much for something only to lose sleep over the possibility of something as simple as a pine cone putting holes in it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Dismalmazes,

You wouldn't be disappointed with either tarp but I would say if you're wanting doors on your Mambajama, I would recommend that you just go with the Superfly it's basically a Mambajama with doors. As a winter tarp I like the Superfly for its coverage/width which is better than the HG 4S.

I've owned both the HG 4S and the HG Winter Palace, the Palace would be more comparable with the Superfly in terms of dimmensions. I've camped some wicked winter weather in my 4S and it's performed well but there have been some times I wished for the coverage my friend had with his Superfly, enter the Palace. Also I'll add that I've been in a couple of high wind situations 50mph +- with my cuben tarp and it has held up great. I think if you're a backpacker it makes the decision for cuben a lot easier, even if you go with a silnylon tarp this time, you'll have it on your upgrade list.

Oh and repairability is another plus for cuben. I've seen 2 repairs, one a burn hole the other a puncture from a bridge spreader bar, both were beautiful glue only repairs.

David

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    While I do not have a HG tarp, I do have a Superfly and an equivalent Cuben of the same size. Which do I like better? Hard to say. I understand your concern about durability and weight.

I tend to use my Superfly during the Winter when I am pulling a pulk and weight is not as much of an issue or when I car camp. When I bring my dog and expect to pitch low to the ground I will use the superfly.

I use the cuben when I don't have the dog and when I have to carry the tarp on my back and I expect rain.

I know this is not helping you decide but hopefully you will gain some insight on how I use these two tarps and when. If I had to choose only one I would get the cuben.

S

Hammock
    Ok let me mention that for now I live in Texas So it's not so much a "winter" tarp I am looking for but I like versatility. I have been camping in Texas before a several times when it was in the teens to singles with high wind. This was a couple years before I discovered the wonders of the hammock. In fact what got me into it was me randomly deciding I had time and wanted to learn to weave a hammock. I was looking around at diy sites and eventually came across Grand Trunk and ENO "HOLY CRAP people camp in hammocks. DONE!!" and pretty much bought the first one I saw with mosquito netting same thing with the ENO ProFly.

I digress I like the removable doors because I will only use them occasionally. I've read a lot about how easy it is to repair cuben fiber, but that's what scares me. It seems like everyone is having to repair it. Which raises the durability red flag in my mind. I'm not a gram weenie, but something that is extremely light does seem preferable if it is durable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Dizmalmazes,

Two great tarps, either way you win.

David

• + New Posts