Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any rope over a couple of metres is coiled. Learned it in the navy, it's quick and neat. I just finish it with a couple of wraps though, and hang it inside the pack. Anything shorter, like guylines, is fig.-8-wrapped as the illustration above.

We call them magpie nests, btw

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I think it's more of what cord you use, not how you store it. I use Z-packs 1.25mm Z-line spectra cord. All I do is leave the lines attatched to the tarp, and shove it all in the stuff sack. Never have problems with tangles.
    This is what I use too, and I have not had tangle issues either. It is stiffer than a lot of line and does not hold knots well, which makes it nice for guy lines: knots come out easy too if you do use knots, and it is super light and super strong.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I use zing-it for my guy lines. I just toss them up inside the tarp as I roll it up to put the snake skins on. Then when I slide the skins off, the tarp unrolls and the lines fall out. Not much of a problem with them tangling. With my other tarp, I may have to try the figure 8.
    I knew someone would use the same method I use.

Edit: Wanted to add that my snake skins have pockets on either end for the extra ridge line zing-it...

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    i've got an OES MacCat tarp. in each corner, there's a d-ring to tie off to. I use 6 of my daughter's colored hair ties, run the line through it, through the d-ring, and tie a small bowline. the 4 outer points are just black. the head end has a pink one (red for head). the foot end has a blue one (blue for shoe). this then orients my tarp so the correct side is "up", and the correct length tie-outs are in the right place (i tie one side much lower than the other, and have one reflective line in the corner closest to my campfire/kitchen. this side is also usually held 'up' by two poles, making a porch, and thus the tie outs need to be much longer than the others.

i can then roll the tie out around my hand, making a roughly 4-5" coil, and then the hair tie is right there to secure it. hope that makes sense.

years ago, when i had the stock hennessy stock (i still use it on really light trips), i had some pockets sewn into the corners, which shut with velcro. this worked pretty well.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Little loops of shock cord attached to each tarp tie out point, made adjustable with cord locks. Make a hank, insert, snug up.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    wb blackbird
    Tarp
    12 foot cuben
    Insulation
    phoenix undr quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Much depends on the line. No tangle lines can be tossed into the hammock when stowing it. Nylon type lines and paracord must use some type of coiling or you will get tangles. The spectra cords are lighter as well. Spend the extra buck and have peace of mind.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Nylon cargo straps

"Retractable" cords?

Anyone ever try using some kind of "retractable" cord system, something like those key holders you attach to your belt or those swipe-card holders that those of us in corporate hell have to use?

My biggest problem I have is with the stake down cords for my ENO Dryfly, as it takes forever to set up and take down with 6 tie down points plus the ridgeline, if you take the time to figure-eight each line to keep it neat. I was thinking it would be really nice to have some kind of self retracting cord so that once the ridgeline is up, I can just clip on to the stakes, extend, secure, and tighten as needed. Then, the reverse for take down, and not have to spend so much time on "cord management".

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    I do it the old fashion way. I curse at it alot.

That's my preferred method too stalker42!
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlancon View Post
    Anyone ever try using some kind of "retractable" cord system, something like those key holders you attach to your belt or those swipe-card holders that those of us in corporate hell have to use?

My biggest problem I have is with the stake down cords for my ENO Dryfly, as it takes forever to set up and take down with 6 tie down points plus the ridgeline, if you take the time to figure-eight each line to keep it neat. I was thinking it would be really nice to have some kind of self retracting cord so that once the ridgeline is up, I can just clip on to the stakes, extend, secure, and tighten as needed. Then, the reverse for take down, and not have to spend so much time on "cord management".
    It's worth a shot to try out. My concern would be that if you didn't fully extend the line any wind would cause your tarp to shift. And the inverse, if you did fully extend your line would a gust of wind damage the retracting unit so taht it no longer worked?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I always figure 8 up my guy lines and finish with a clove hitch. Every once in a while it shakes loose. I have had an awful time in the wind with frozen fingers and a mason line rats nest, just awful. I think I will try the method weaver2469 suggested.
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast