Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS

HH Explorer won't fit into its stuff sack!

I just got my first Hennessy Hammock Explorer with snake skins and all. After setting it up once, I'm finding it practically impossible to jam this thing back into the original stuff sack it came in.

I am able to fit the actual hammock itself (with the snake skins) back in with no problems - but getting the rain fly (stock version) and tree huggers back in as well is pretty much out of the question.

Do I need to buy a bigger stuff sack or something? Why am I having such a hard time with this? Does anybody have any suggestions?
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Are you putting back into the bag with the snakeskins on the hammock? If so then that is your problem. The snakeskins force the hammock into a tube shape that doenst like to turn corners or compress. If the hammock is already in the skins why put it in the bag? The skins are waterproof and designed to take the place of the bag. I just fold up my hammock in the skins and tie it up with the cordage sticking out the ends. Hope this helps
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    back when i had my hennessy explorer ultralite, i found it easier to pack if i sort of folded it

i would lay it out flat and the fold the long sides into the middle a couple of time and then the ends together in the middle and repeat

i think you will eventually find that you won't want to pack your tarp in the same sack as your hammock, especially if it has moisture from either rain or condensation that will get your hammock wet

most people pack theirs on the outside of their pack where it is away from the stuff they want to keep dry

boot
    Last edited by Boothill; 11-05-2012 at 09:21. Reason: spelling
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    As Dammfast said, if you have the snakeskins on the hammock,there's no way it'll fit. What I do (and I stole it from someone on here) is once the hammock is in the skins, fold it up as small as possible and tie the tree straps around it to keep it tight. The tarp will them pack into a small enough package to fit almost anywhere (day hatch of a kayak) so you can pull it out and set it up first if necessary. Having said that though, I don't normally use the stock tarp from Hennessy unless I'm guaranteed perfect weather, it just needs to be too precise so I opt for a bit bigger one.
    Debi

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I've got snakeskins on my HH. The nice thing about snake skins is that they alleviate the need for the stuff sack, you can "snake" the hammock/tarp into odd spaces in your pack and they make for quick & clean set-up of your hammock. I actually repurposed the HH stuffsack for use with my Noahs Kelty 12. Perfect size for it.
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I have not had that problem. I keep the stock tarp in the bottom of the bag all the time even though I use the hex or winter tarp most if the time. I put the hammock in the skins, fold it in half, put the halfway mark in the bag and stuff the rest in. Then my baggied straps go on top if that and cinch the bag. I will take some pics but it has really not been a problem.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock
    With the hammock in the snakeskin i fold the hammock and wrap the suspension and tree huggers around the hammock and place this in the stuff sack. I also have my HH hex tarp in their own snakeskins which i fold the same way and wrap my tarp ridge line around the tarp and i also manage to fit this in the stuff sack.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Start rolling the hammock near the middle but closer to the snakeskin you will stretch out 1st, when you get it to the ridgeline reach out and pull the snakeskin on, repeat on the opposite side. I am able to get the monsoon tarp & doors with the hammock that way.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Are you putting back into the bag with the snakeskins on the hammock? If so then that is your problem. The snakeskins force the hammock into a tube shape that doenst like to turn corners or compress. If the hammock is already in the skins why put it in the bag? The skins are waterproof and designed to take the place of the bag. I just fold up my hammock in the skins and tie it up with the cordage sticking out the ends. Hope this helps
    plus 1.....

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    Thanks everyone - this is really helpful information. Some of these ideas hadn't even occurred to me. I guess I'll keep the rain fly separate from the hammock altogether (probably in an outer pocket of my pack - where moisture isn't an issue).
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast