Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Feeling of satisfaction? and a thank you

anyone else here just round up their gear and realize they're done (or close to it) with getting stuff?

in the 2 years since joining HF actively, my gear bin and knowledge base has grown considerably. i started off with the most basic, and in some cases the worst, gear possible, with only an idea of what i was getting into. but now, i feel like ive got "the right stuff" for what i want to do

im never going to be a gram weenie, because if you get my fat butt to hike you better be walking in front of me with Krispy Kreme on a string.... but i keep looking at the UL stuff, knowing i dont need it (doesnt mean i dont WANT it tho...)

and my gear progression reads like Genesis in the bible: ENO begat Warbonnet who begat WL NO; PLUQ begat full 20* UGQ Quilts. Stainless Steel begat Titanium, etc etc etc. you can literally graph out the gear purchases on a curve. and i know im not the only one.

but thru it all, you guys helped keep me "on track", with suggestions and links and advice. all you on here got to "know me" and my needs, as i have a few of you, and helped me get straightened out.

in the process of all this, ive made more than a few friends, and been fortunate enough to have started 2 hangs and (i think) inspired at least one more here in the SC region. every time someone asks me for help or recommendations, im humbled and think about all the HF'ers here that guided me while i was asking those same ole n00b questions!

thank you to NCPatrick, who has had to whack me in the head a few times when my ideas got the best of me, and to AngrySparrow for being the P.I.M.P. (Playa In Management Position) around here. this place is a real refuge on the net, a breath of fresh air to be sure.

so what im trying to say is, im having a gear zen moment & im really thankfull for all of you here, for all that you do for me and everyone else.

speech over...
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Dido. Well put... me to.

And another thanks to Shug and his noob vids... I am a visual learner
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    shug is the worst. i now NEED a cuben tarp because of him. and shug if you read this, can you link to the cuben video where you did a "sound" test of rain?

also to SHUG: this is an open invitation (actually, me begging) that if you can, please come down to SC for a hang, dont care if its mine or not. i need to shake your hand. a few of us have talked about it, and if need be we are prepared to get you a bus ticket down....
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    shug is the worst. i now NEED a cuben tarp because of him. and shug if you read this, can you link to the cuben video where you did a "sound" test of rain?

also to SHUG: this is an open invitation (actually, me begging) that if you can, please come down to SC for a hang, dont care if its mine or not. i need to shake your hand. a few of us have talked about it, and if need be we are prepared to get you a bus ticket down....
    I think that was spinnUL vs sylnylon
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    True story:

Hanging out with REV this past week (briefly) felt like hanging out with a somebody. He's also very pretty, with curves in all the right places.

I second the notion that Shug make it on down, and further suggest that it be for the Frozen Butt Hang.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Very nice post. Maybe two years from now, I will be "set" gear wise. Being such a NOOB still, I completely appreciate all the help you and the other hangers are giving me. I am learning so much and building up my gear.
    As for SHUG...you know, I have The Big Top tarp that might help entice him to come hang with us. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Handmade string &amp; 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Every time I get my last piece of gear, I realise there is one more i need.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I've been at this for a about a year and half and I see no end in sight. No matter what I get I see something new to me and I have to try it. Of course I'm a tinkerer and love fiddling with my gear. You really don't want to know how many DY stoves I've made and have piled up around my house, and hopefully my wife want find my stash either.

Many of my pieces of kit I've only used once. I have my favorite bits of gear that I keep going back to, but I can't seem to help drooling over other bits to work on my pack weight/bulk or just to have something new and shiny, if only for a weekend. I wonder if I could start a gear rental service.

I prefer backpacking over car camping, but got to get the family out camping sometimes. I can't wait to try out paddle/bikepacking too, as they both seem like great fun. Lord help my bank account when I start buying boats.

All this to say, I may not have my gear 100% set but thanks to great folks here I've always got an idea of what I want to try next.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    a

im never going to be a gram weenie, because if you get my fat butt to hike you better be walking in front of me with Krispy Kreme on a string....
    Spraying brew all over my laptop!!!!! Where's a towel???

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Took me two years to complete the process of getting my hammock gear in order. I'm set now, but of course will buy the occasional item. If I had it to do over, it would only take a few minutes to buy what I need.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast