DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I second the notion that Shug make it on down, and further suggest that it be for the Frozen Butt Hang.
    Ok, Shug lives 25 miles from me, I know how cold it gets here. But SC? Cold? Really? Maybe you could have a chilly butt hang. Just joking, but I can't imagine you get nearly so cold as here. We're farther north than Canada! (parts of it anyway).

I'm such a wimp I've got eyehooks on my deck so I can test my gear before I go for the frozen butt hang here in Minnesota. I can bail and in 4 feet be nice and warm if my quilt(s) don't cut it. If they don't I can't go for sub zero. I'm not even sure my long johns are up to that much cold! I work outdoors, but have a warm van to hop into before my parts begin to freeze. Camping out is a whole 'nuther thang. Those guys are nuts or brave, and I can't wait to join them to find out which!

But you're absolutely right. There are angels here that deserve wings and halos for all the goodness they've created, prepared and shared. One can't visit here long before feeling the love. My gratitude to all who've contributed to this excellent example of how good the Internet can be.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i can NOT leave out a mention to DUTCH and his elves. i cant count how many times hes rushed me gear (both tarp suspensions), answered my questions at midnight or gifted me (and plenty others) gear.

my best memory of the man, the myth and the legend was last year at the grayson highlands, as i recall a thru hiker had a hammock but no real good suspension and was having a tough go of it. Dutch went over to his prius (ill forgive you the prius...at least it wasnt powder blue) and basically rigged the guys hammock for him and showed him how to work it. THAT is an awesome guy. one more person i beg to come to a SC hang!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    My wife wishes this day would come

I've got a set up that I've very happy with, but I was happy with the set up that I had before this one....and the one before that.....and the one before that....and...well, you get the picture.

I think I may have a problem
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have learned so much from this site, and met so many wonderful people. I also made so many friends that I haven't met face to face. This is such a caring and informative site where everyone is respectful of the noobs and jump in to help them. I love this site, and all the folks who have helped me to become informed. I start doing something, and then think back to when I thought I would never get the hang of this stuff. My husband is even becoming more involved and actually asks me when we will hang again.
    Thank you to all the oldtimers (only HF oldtimers, nothing to do with your age ) here for starting up this site and making it what it is.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    shug is the worst. i now NEED a cuben tarp because of him. and shug if you read this, can you link to the cuben video where you did a "sound" test of rain?

also to SHUG: this is an open invitation (actually, me begging) that if you can, please come down to SC for a hang, dont care if its mine or not. i need to shake your hand. a few of us have talked about it, and if need be we are prepared to get you a bus ticket down....
    It was silnylon vs spinntex. But you can hear rain on my cuben on the video below. Sounds good...bit sharper than silnylon. Dry as a bone.
    If I get to SC...I have to visit family and it is a ways away......
    No Bus))))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I get what you mean REV, although personally I've reached the Revelation; I've gotten my last piece of gear. Now I'm done, it's complete, no need to research or scrimp and save, finale; all over. The set is good and it's x's 2 so I can pack one kid along with the rest of the gear and they're in a good set up too.

So I'll stop by to hang out (no pun intended) with the folks I've gotten to know on the forum and I hope Shug will continue to put out new video's periodically for no other reason than the entertainment value but as for gear, I'm finished there, got it all together. Now I'm just going to try and enjoy what I got with whom I can.

I may stop by this one store on the way home from work though, I saw a pair of North Face lightweight gloves that look like perfect hiking gloves but that's not really primary gear you know...

Enjoy your new week
    Gideon

That is awesome, congrats REV....

Everytime I think I'm almost or close to done my ADOS (attention deficit ohhhh shinny) flairs up, and, oh wait I just saw something new, sorry gotta go now.......
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    I am getting close, my HG UQ is in transit. I am "probably" looking at a tarp change and tweaking the current gear I have. 99% of my backpacking is 3 season, so that makes it easier. All of my hammock knowledge was gained here. Putting all my gear on a spreadsheet and identifying where I wanted to be weight wise, has really stopped all of those "neat gadgety" purchases because there is not a spot on my spreadsheet for it. If it makes it on the spreadsheet, I am replacing something else. I have identified the best products for me for each piece of gear I use, calculated the replacement cost per ounce and made a decision of I am good or I need to replace it. I am happy to say I am good with my gear...the tarp change is a vanity thing...don't like the color combo with my MultiCam WBBB.

Thanks for all the advice, tips, tricks and hours spent on HF!

swankfly

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Gresh, you crack me up! LOL

As to the OP, yes, I am feelig some satisfaction with what I've learned and put together. It was overwhelming at first but is now bearing fruit. Thanks to the mods for a great site and for all the experienced ones being such wonderful people here.

Mike

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Swankfly, you make a really good point about putting your gear on a spreadsheet. I read about others on the forum doing so and followed their example. By having all my gear listed by weight it really made me focus on what I needed instead of wanted and it definitely made me more selective.

If I did want more gear it would have to replace something on my spreadsheet at a good weight savings. About the only thing I can think of adding, if my set up wasn't complete would be a cuben fiber tarp because it can add a lot of coverage (including doors) and actually be lighter weight than the one I have.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't done so to make up a spreadsheet or work up their own list on that web site that let's you build your own gear list.

Enjoy the day
    Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast