WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Doubling up TQ's???

So the next piece of kit I am looking to buy is a deep winter tq. I am looking at HG 0* incubator with 3oz of overfill
    The question I have is if it suppose to get colder the say -5* degrees I would like extra guarantee of warmth. So combining my top quilts. When ordering so I order a extra long and wide version to go over my 20* or do you think I would be fine with a regular one. I am 5'9" and about 185#.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Never tried it myself. You may also consider a sock. Much less weight & bulk but typicallyadds approx 15 degrees

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you get a button foot box instead of a sewn up foot box then you could just drape the 0* over your 20*. This would give you roughly a -10* total. As ShadowAlpha suggested a sock with a 0* bag would be lighter, more compact, and possibly easier to manage. Unless of course you want to be able to exit the hammock quickly, as a sock can slow you down.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I used a 40* HG Burrow with a sewn footbox over a smilar 20* quilt in single digits with high winds. I still hadn't developed a trust for the TQ in winter cold, I was kinda over dressed and the TQ's were maybe a bit more than I needed but it worked great and wasn't a problem getting in and out. It took maybe a bit more tucking to arrange things. Down booties and a down hood really made a big difference for me. I would also recommend Shug's great advice of having refletix for under your butt.

I've stayed comfortable well below the 20* rating on my Burrow simply by taking care of my extremities, (hands, feet, head/face, butt). If those areas are warm, I tend to sleep right on through the night but if even one area is cold it makes for a longer night.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I appreciate everyone's help on this. Last year I did negative 3 degrees with a cheap 0* bag as a top quilt and a fleece liner and With a over stuffed 3/4 uq. I was slightly cool. This it's a winter burrow. Question still remains should I make it extra long and wide or just regular.
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have three Speer Top Blankets with velcro footboxes... just release the footbox on the second one and drape it over the first. You can also keep the bottom edge closed but release the closure that goes up the side. I've done it often... it works well!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    I appreciate everyone's help on this. Last year I did negative 3 degrees with a cheap 0* bag as a top quilt and a fleece liner and With a over stuffed 3/4 uq. I was slightly cool. This it's a winter burrow. Question still remains should I make it extra long and wide or just regular.
    At your height/weight, I can't see a reason to go oversize.

David

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't see a reason to go oversize with the top quilt either. You can wear clothes and use a hammock sock to take you well below zero. However, I think you're going to find that your underquilt is going to be the weak link in your system.

David

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    No need to oversize the winter tq. Order it so it fits you, then put your 20° on top of that (providing your 20° bag has a button foot box that you can open up).
    2 reasons for that:
    - You will have the best flexibility for the lowest weight and volume on your gear.
    - You want to keep your winter tq as fluffy as possible for as long as possible. Water/condensation will slowly degrade your quilt, and with time make the insulation material collapse/lose it's insulation properties (unless you can dry out your quilt somehow/-where). If you put the 20° quilt on top of the winter tq (not the other way round), any possible condensation inside a quilt will be in the 20° one (the topmost one). It'll give you longer time staying toasty in the outdoors.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    No need to oversize the winter tq. Order it so it fits you, then put your 20° on top of that (providing your 20° bag has a button foot box that you can open up).
    2 reasons for that:
    - You will have the best flexibility for the lowest weight and volume on your gear.
    - You want to keep your winter tq as fluffy as possible for as long as possible. Water/condensation will slowly degrade your quilt, and with time make the insulation material collapse/lose it's insulation properties (unless you can dry out your quilt somehow/-where). If you put the 20° quilt on top of the winter tq (not the other way round), any possible condensation inside a quilt will be in the 20° one (the topmost one). It'll give you longer time staying toasty in the outdoors.
    I appreciate everyone's input on this. I have been looking at all my options for setting up my winter sleep system. Thanks to Karl this is a great explanation and option that I hadn't thought of. Thank you
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast