Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    When I look at the pictures of the ring verses some of the straight-line variations, I see a definite arc being put on the pass-through line by the ring. I have to believe that it is much harder for a line with that slight arc to slip than a line with a straight pull.

Can't be lost, attachment point for hanging gear, shortens suspension, etc. etc. The genius and simplicity of the Single Ring Suspension just blows my mind. Thanks for sharing.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Where do you find said "3.8 spyder line" I have looked on amazon to no avail...
    I get my 3.8 mm Spyderline at West Marine online. very tough stuff.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    Have have used both amsteel and the spyderline. I prefer the 3.8 spyderline.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Well, if the line does slip at least when you hit the ground it should be a nice flat splat instead of head first. Just a little bit of trivia .

If a video IS done it would be great to see the system hooked up from tree to the hammock and where the savings are. >> NOOB, searching the forum prairie for making my first hammock. Thanks for the great info.
    Last edited by HungLow; 12-24-2012 at 20:37.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

All-in-One

I want to re-rig a hammock with this SRS using an all-in-one setup like is shown in the SLS threads, where my tarp is already attached, SRS/SLS with tarp attached is hooked into the Marlin Spike Hitch at the tree, repeat at other tree, stake out tarp, then all you have to do is clip in the hammock while protected by the tarp. Then you could change hammocks in the rain!

No, all kidding aside, I would like opinions on whether the center section of ridge line would be difficult to tighten enough so there's minimal tarp sag, or is that not a concern? I have tarp tensioners on my tieouts.

I'm also wondering if I could use a ring for the Main Line Suspension (MLS) and a Knotty Knot Z thing on the hammock attachment line, making the system fully adjustable, as if you had four whoopie slings like is shown in some of the SLS threads.

Probably use Spyder line or Dyanaglide if that can hold my 200 lbs.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Just found and read the entire thread. Now I am contemplating swapping my whoopies for this set up. Most likely using carabiniers as I like hanging things from biners. Before reading this thread I would have called you a liar if you said you had a suspension better than my whoopies. I am a believer and have only read about this set up.

I did not notice this being directly addressed but if I understand correctly you could replace any given whoopie with a SRS of about half the length and still have the same range of adjustability. As a rough example, say you had 6' whoopies that take 13-14' of line to make you should be able to make a SRS with 6' of adjustability with about 7-8' of line and have a much shorter min length. Am I correct in my thinking?
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    ...Am I correct in my thinking?
    No. It still takes the same amount of line and you add the weight of the ring to gain the reduction in minimum length.

Edit...incorrect info here...go to next post.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-26-2012 at 10:50.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    Just found and read the entire thread. Now I am contemplating swapping my whoopies for this set up. Most likely using carabiniers as I like hanging things from biners. Before reading this thread I would have called you a liar if you said you had a suspension better than my whoopies. I am a believer and have only read about this set up.

I did not notice this being directly addressed but if I understand correctly you could replace any given whoopie with a SRS of about half the length and still have the same range of adjustability. As a rough example, say you had 6' whoopies that take 13-14' of line to make you should be able to make a SRS with 6' of adjustability with about 7-8' of line and have a much shorter min length. Am I correct in my thinking?
    By moving the ring away from the hammock and closer to the tree you reduce the cord length requirements over that of a whoopie sling.
    So yes, to get a 6' span with whoopie slings requires a little over 12' of cord,
    and to get up to 6' of span with a moveable ring you need a little over 6'.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    By moving the ring away from the hammock and closer to the tree you reduce the cord length requirements over that of a whoopie sling.
    So yes, to get a 6' span with whoopie slings requires a little over 12' of cord,
    and to get up to 6' of span with a moveable ring you need a little over 6'.
    I suppose so. You lose the minor benefit of using the ring as a drip.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

All-in-One Duh

Duh, just answered my own question. The tarp in the all-in-one is held taught by soft shackle prussics.

I believe, as Griz said, you could get by with much less rope. In the all-in-one setup, if your rings are closer to the tree and farther away from the hammock, in order to use less line, you would be able to fiddle with the lengths of the hammock SRS loop to adjust for a 30 degree angle.

If you used Knotty's Knot you could further decrease hardware weight. I wish there was a way to protect against losing Knotty's hardware, like tie a string to it or something?

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast