Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images

Single Ring Suspension

As a NOOb I was dissatisfied with the aluminum triangle things that were on the webbing strap suspension on my WBBB. So like so many others here I decided to give Whoopies a try. I thought they were an improvement, but I didn't like the fact that the shortest you could get them adjusted to was around 12 inches or so. Then I looked at all the Grizzly Adams videos that were Sticky's and saw this one where he made an adjustable sliding ring suspension that eliminated the part that could not be shortened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRAnzEoXZI

So I tried the Sliding Ring Suspension but found that it wasn't easy to tie a good knot with Amsteel on the ring that wouldn't slip. So then I thought, why use a knot at all? Why not just run the the line back under it's self thru the three loops that go around the ring? I tried that and it worked really well, and it changed the suspension so that now the ring wouldn't slide, but the line could be slid up or down under the loops to adjust the length. When there is tension on the lines the three loops around the ring act sort of like a Prussik and clamp the other end of the line to the ring. No matter how hard I try I can't make it slip, but by releasing tension it's easy to adjust the length. Just to be safe it's probably good to back it up with a slippery half hitch.

I put a Whoopie Hook on the loop on the end of my line and connect that to a loop on the hammock so I can easily disconnect my hammock from the suspension. But it could be connected right to the hammock just like in Grizzlies video. Or the ring can initially be placed anywhere on the line to make the whole rig longer or shorter before adjusting just like the sliding ring.

I don't know if this has been tried before, but I like to call this a Single Ring
    Suspension, (SRS).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    As a NOOb I was dissatisfied with the aluminum triangle things that were on the webbing strap suspension on my WBBB. So like so many others here I decided to give Whoopies a try. I thought they were an improvement, but I didn't like the fact that the shortest you could get them adjusted to was around 12 inches or so. Then I looked at all the Grizzly Adams videos that were Sticky's and saw this one where he made an adjustable sliding ring suspension that eliminated the part that could not be shortened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRAnzEoXZI

So I tried the Sliding Ring Suspension but found that it wasn't easy to tie a good knot with Amsteel on the ring that wouldn't slip. So then I thought, why use a knot at all? Why not just run the the line back under it's self thru the three loops that go around the ring? I tried that and it worked really well, and it changed the suspension so that now the ring wouldn't slide, but the line could be slid up or down under the loops to adjust the length. When there is tension on the lines the three loops around the ring act sort of like a Prussik and clamp the other end of the line to the ring. No matter how hard I try I can't make it slip, but by releasing tension it's easy to adjust the length. Just to be safe it's probably good to back it up with a slippery half hitch.

I put a Whoopie Hook on the loop on the end of my line and connect that to a loop on the hammock so I can easily disconnect my hammock from the suspension. But it could be connected right to the hammock just like in Grizzlies video. Or the ring can initially be placed anywhere on the line to make the whole rig longer or shorter before adjusting just like the sliding ring.

I don't know if this has been tried before, but I like to call this a Single Ring
    Suspension, (SRS).
    Thanks for documenting your Single Ring Suspension Bonepile! At first I was confused
    Later, I was amazed at how simple it was to adjust when you showed it to us at the recent Uwharrie hang. And, when I saw you tugging on it with all your might - well... it doesn't slip under tension - not a bit

Brilliant! Now the trees can be closer together than with whoopies - gram weenies can shed yet a few more grams (of amsteel length) and the rest of us have yet another suspension option to DIY... Now, where did i leave that spare descender ring...?

Thanks again Bonepile
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I could not go to bed last night before making this setup! I saw it at the Yates Place Hang this weekend and knew I had to do it for my rig. I haven't had a chance to try hanging in it, but I know it'll work great.

Thanks for sharing this cool idea Bonepile!

I'm wondering how this would work with the stock rope on a Hennessy... I think I'll try it out this weekend.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    .... Or the ring can initially be placed anywhere on the line to make the whole rig longer or shorter before adjusting just like the sliding ring.

Suspension, (SRS).
    Thinkin a bit more about this... Means that a hammock without a sewn-in, fixed, ridgeline could, theoretically, be "lengthened" and therefore perhaps a 10' hammock - could "lay" like an eleven foot hammock using these rings to "extend" it's length a bit. So, after a SRL was added back on to set the sag (now recalculated for an 11' long hammock... Hmmm... I'll have to try that!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    Interesting. A variation of an adjustable taught line hitch but with using a descender ring. Hrmm....

Can we get a pic of it from the tree (or stand) all the way to your hammock? I see the sliding setup but need more info on what goes where in the rest of the suspension.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    The rest of the suspension can be anything that you like. I show a pic of the adjustable loop going to a marlinspike knot and the other end with a whoopie hook. The hook is just used so I can pack the hammock separate from the rest of the rig. You can run the adjustable end to a biner or whatever. The fixed end is just a locked brummel that can be larks headed right to the hammock for simplicity. In the picture I show the loop shorted up enough so that I could fit it in my camera viewfinder.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Thinkin a bit more about this... Means that a hammock without a sewn-in, fixed, ridgeline could, theoretically, be "lengthened" and therefore perhaps a 10' hammock - could "lay" like an eleven foot hammock using these rings to "extend" it's length a bit. So, after a SRL was added back on to set the sag (now recalculated for an 11' long hammock... Hmmm... I'll have to try that!
    If I'm understanding your thought process correctly, moving the SRL attachment points farther up on the suspension will have no effect on the lay at all so long as the same sag is maintained. Nothing will have changed about the hammock body.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    So where does one get a descender ring? I might try this before going the whoopie route.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    So where does one get a descender ring? I might try this before going the whoopie route.
    Get them here

Is it fussy to get it to release after being loaded?

But I'm just wondering but really seems like one wouldn't need a good descender would you? All you're relying on the ring to do is hold the amsteel, not the weight. Couldn't you do this with any old cheap ring?

BTW Bonepile that's very clever for someone from Mt Pilot.

(I'm kidding... as a NC native....)
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast