Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I just landed on this post today and read though every post. I love the evolutionary process and all the tinkering and that is one of the major draws to the hammock hobby for me.

I had a problem with my whoopie slings being too long when trying to hang from my kids swing set out back. (I hope to build a proper stand soon).

So I grabbed one of my Easton stakes and put in a MSH. Seemed to work and I could not made it slip, but was not sure so I contacted a higher authority, Dutch. I emailed this picture to him and asked what he thought and his reply was along the lines of... "with a stake like that you should be fine, but a stick or something probably wouldn't hold".

So with that, I grabbed my quilts and tarp and set up to hang close to the ground. Went all night with no slipping. I only weight 170lbs. You can see in the pic how close to the tree huger the MSH is.

Not to get off the ring track, but maybe instead of going vertical like the whoopie or the ring, horizontal may work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I may be having a thickheaded moment here, but I'm not sure I get it. Can you explain how you use this to shorten your suspension? Are you just hanging your hammock by a continuous loop over the MSH or something? Having to adjust a MSH for suspension is a big pain IMO when this setup and Whoopies slide easily for adjustment. I just want to make sure I am clear on your idea. I'm certainly not shooting it down! Thanks.
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 11-26-2012 at 15:03.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Can you explain how you use this to shorten your suspension?
    This ring essentially replaces the bury in the whoopie. Otherwise, it's still a whoopie.
    Last edited by MAD777; 11-26-2012 at 17:38.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I may be having a thickheaded moment here, but I'm not sure I get it. Can you explain how you use this to shorten your suspension? Are you just hanging your hammock by a continuous loop over the MSH or something? Having to adjust a MSH for suspension is a big pain IMO when this setup and Whoopies slide easily for adjustment. I just want to make sure I am clear on your idea. I'm certainly not shooting it down! Thanks.
    If you were questioning my last post...

I just hung the hammock's continuous loop over the MSH on the whoopie bypassing the Dutch hooks on the Dutch suspension. Normally, I would use the whoopie sling to adjust the length, but when the sling gets too short, grab a tent stake and MSH it to the sling, done. When the end of the hammock is so close to the tree hugger, their isn't much to adjust anyway.

As someone else said, if that close to the tree, my tarp is the limiting factor.

Hope that clears it up.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    If you were questioning my last post...

I just hung the hammock's continuous loop over the MSH on the whoopie bypassing the Dutch hooks on the Dutch suspension. Normally, I would use the whoopie sling to adjust the length, but when the sling gets too short, grab a tent stake and MSH it to the sling, done. When the end of the hammock is so close to the tree hugger, their isn't much to adjust anyway.

As someone else said, if that close to the tree, my tarp is the limiting factor.

Hope that clears it up.
    OK. Got it. (Sorry I was unclear on who I was questioning.) I got to see the Bonepile Single Ring setup at a recent hang, and I just undid my Whoopies and use them with the ring now. I was not catching on to how you were using the MSH in your post. Thanks for the clarification, Ursa!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I see the single ring suspension as a different method to preserve the adjustability of the entire line whereas the MSH method mentioned is somewhat of a different beast.

I see that as simply a way to shorten the distance needed for a whoopie sling when the distance to hang is too close (which, if you have a continuous loop on the end of your hammock anyways, you can bypass any MSH on the whoopie itself and just hang your continuous loop off the normal MSH in the treestrap you would hang your whoopie off of).

MSH on whoopie = compliment to fully adjustable whoopie sling when distances are too short for a whoopie sling to handle (which can be bypassed by just using the normal MSH on the treestrap).

Single ring suspension = fully adjustable suspension system on its own that can also accommodate short distances.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Here's an idea I just had: What about using this for a SLS suspension with one ring on each end, and hang your hammock off the ring? Would give fairly easy ridge line adjustment, along with the whoopie-style loop adjustment. Instead of the tail w/ whoopie hook, that would be the ridge line.
    I posted this earlier and didn't get any discussion, but I've finally picked up a set a rings and put it to practice. I'm using 7/64" amsteel and SMC descender rings rated to ~3000 lbs. Right now the hammock is just attached with a paracord loop for testing (larks headed at each end).

Bounced around and didn't get any movement. Allows quick adjusting to hang, and you can adjust the ridgeline by pulling line from either side into the ring, and then pulling the wraps tight again. It's a pretty simple setup.

haven't tried packing it up yet, but I expect I'll probably want to mark my preferred ring location on the line to ensure the ridge line is where I want it.

Couple pics:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ-Leighlo TQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    Thanks for all of the pictures guys I think this setup is great but... I wish somebody could post a simple video of the whole process. I use a HH stock everything.

Earlier in this thread someone said that they use the existing lines on their HH and this worked. I would just like to see an example from anybody on how this works.
    I think it would not only help me but all the noobs following me...

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I posted this earlier and didn't get any discussion, but I've finally picked up a set a rings and put it to practice. I'm using 7/64" amsteel and SMC descender rings rated to ~3000 lbs. Right now the hammock is just attached with a paracord loop for testing (larks headed at each end).

Bounced around and didn't get any movement. Allows quick adjusting to hang, and you can adjust the ridgeline by pulling line from either side into the ring, and then pulling the wraps tight again. It's a pretty simple setup.

haven't tried packing it up yet, but I expect I'll probably want to mark my preferred ring location on the line to ensure the ridge line is where I want it.

Couple pics:

Boston, you've taken this to a whole new level by adding the ridgeline to the basic rig!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The original SLS (thanks headchange4u!) put a clove hitch on the ring to keep it from sliding, at all. The thing about a structural ridge-line is that if you're using it to "set the sag", you need for that ridge-line to be the same length every time you pop up the suspension.

In my experience with SMC rings on Amsteel, when not under tension (or with too few wraps), they will move. Whether having the line pass under the wraps changes that I cannot say for sure, except that in my stuffsacks, cord always finds ways to loosen knots and get tangled up.

My guess is that if you passed a cord through a clove hitch, after its had some weight on there it is going to be really hard to do adjustments.

So for the proposed application as an SLS, if it were me and if I cared about having the length of the ridge-line be always the same, I would mark the cord at the desired length and then before hanging do any adjustment of the rings that are needed to get that length again.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast