JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

Srs/sls

This suspension system gives you the most bang for your buck, because it is so easy to deal with and gives probably the best adjustibility, it seems to me. I took a 30' piece of amsteel, used two rings spaced at 11'8" so I can attach my tarp via soft shackle prussics inside the rings to minimize tarp sag. I then took two other lengths of amsteel, each 52 inches, and used a Knotty Not using old Harbor Freight aluminum "carabiners" that I ripped the gate out of with pliers. I bent one end around a nail to create the eye. I can hang my 11' hammock in my room, where the suspension points are 12' apart easily. I can be as close as 8" to the toggle or 8 1/2 feet. These SRS knots give you the ability to set up a Single Line Suspension with a tarp already attached and then just clip in you hammock. Another advantag is even if your trees are 20' apart, you still can hang your tree straps at 6' no matter the distance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chammocks; 01-02-2013 at 18:43.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    well i tried to look away.itried not to notice this fascinating new whoopie like suspension.i didn't want to try it ...but i did.i like it.i like that it shortens my hang space.
    of course as with anything i could not just build mine like was first shown.i had to tweek it.ever since the nacra came out i have been making all my cord conections openable.then i made my whoopies so i could open the loop. here is how i made these openable.i have not spent more then 1 hour hanging from these ,but they are all installed and ready for the wi.hang this weekend.

12feet 7/64 with a large knot on the end.i tied a monkeyfist.
    a hardware store ring
    a 7/64 loop made from 28 inches of cord with 4 inch burys
    larks head the amsteel loop onto your hammock or through the channels as shown.then wrap once around ring as per profesor hammocks video,to avoid the worst of the flattening.

place other line along side ring,with knot side away from hammock, and continue wrapping with the loop.

the last wrap will not leave enough room in the loop to get the knot in.so stop wrapping one wrap short.pass knot thru the ring and then thru the loop.then pull last loop thru ring with the knot .not so sure that makes sense...

but if done that way the knot will be locked in the loop unable to come out.
    to open undo last step.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    well i tried to look away.itried not to notice this fascinating new whoopie like suspension.i didn't want to try it ...but i did.i like it.i like that it shortens my hang space.
    of course as with anything i could not just build mine like was first shown.i had to tweek it.ever since the nacra came out i have been making all my cord conections openable.then i made my whoopies so i could open the loop. here is how i made these openable.i have not spent more then 1 hour hanging from these ,but they are all installed and ready for the wi.hang this weekend.

12feet 7/64 with a large knot on the end.i tied a monkeyfist.
    a hardware store ring
    a 7/64 loop made from 28 inches of cord with 4 inch burys
    larks head the amsteel loop onto your hammock or through the channels as shown.then wrap once around ring as per profesor hammocks video,to avoid the worst of the flattening.

place other line along side ring,with knot side away from hammock, and continue wrapping with the loop.

the last wrap will not leave enough room in the loop to get the knot in.so stop wrapping one wrap short.pass knot thru the ring and then thru the loop.then pull last loop thru ring with the knot .not so sure that makes sense...

but if done that way the knot will be locked in the loop unable to come out.
    to open undo last step.
    Wow really nice job. I really like your Mod to the SRS

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    I copied this from another thread. I was using this for awhile. But I like your version better

Quote Originally Posted by Jhb627 View Post
    If you wanted to use webbing my suggestion would be to use a Bachman hitch. Almost the same as a Prussic but it is wrapped around a biner to help make it slide. With cord you could also use a Blake's hitch tied to the hammock then it too can slide along suspension cordAttachment 43510Attachment 43511Attachment 43512

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Lonetracker - Your approach is creative and helps you hang close, but severely limits the reach of the suspension, because the ring is always at the hammock. Normally, you can move the ring out when you need greater reach with a SRS.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Lonetracker - Your approach is creative and helps you hang close, but severely limits the reach of the suspension, because the ring is always at the hammock. Normally, you can move the ring out when you need greater reach with a SRS.
    He could always just start with a longer piece of cordage.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Knotty,you are right as shown i cannot move the ring.however i have 12 feet of line so have the same reach i allwayys had with a whoopie.that +straps+hammock is long enough for most hanging options.the ability to move the ring is not as important to me as the ability to quickly open my loop if i so desire.
    hmmm well since you brought it up i have rethought this and can see i ,if need be,can easily ;
    take the ring off
    larkshead the monkeyfist knot onto my continuous loop like a nacra conection.
    now i can instal the rings at any point along the 12 feet of line that is now attached to both ends of my hammock,as per a normal srs.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    Knotty,you are right as shown i cannot move the ring.however i have 12 feet of line so have the same reach i allwayys had with a whoopie.that +straps+hammock is long enough for most hanging options.the ability to move the ring is not as important to me as the ability to quickly open my loop if i so desire.
    hmmm well since you brought it up i have rethought this and can see i ,if need be,can easily ;
    take the ring off
    larkshead the monkeyfist knot onto my continuous loop like a nacra conection.
    now i can instal the rings at any point along the 12 feet of line that is now attached to both ends of my hammock,as per a normal srs.
    Kewl! Way kewl
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Lonetracker's modification results in him hanging on double cordage in his standard format--the continuous loop is doubled, and the adjustable SRS loop is double most of the time. That means half the stress on the rope most of the time.

Then as he says, when needed for a long distance, he can take it apart and get double the distance for the occasional hang.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Lonetracker, how do you tie that big fat stopper knot?

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast