Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I really, really, wanted to like this setup. It's a great system - very secure and easy to adjust. But...I found that I only reduced my suspension weight by one ounce over my web and buckles. And with the Single Ring Suspension I have to deal with separate tree straps and toggles. Yeah, I know I could do an all-in-one setup but then I lose the ability to store the tree straps separately which is also one of the drawbacks to the web and buckles.
    Still no perfect system (sigh).

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Is there ever?

I believe we have trade-offs for what it is we want be it the ability to detach our hammock, have an all-in-one system or focus on weight savings... What is your priority? Mine change like the weather. But that's why this is so much fun. Dialing it in, figuring out what works (for you) and then doing it differently and possibly coming up with something new.

We could have worse habits, right?
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    So I just undid my Dynaglide whoopies to try this out. I have a locked brummel on end and just left the other end as it was after I cut it. I used a 1.5 OD hardware store welded aluminum ring (insert scared emoticon here) and created the SRS a la Bonepile. I hung from this on one end (the other end is the WBBB webbing) for approximately 5 minutes, slowly swaying. After about 2 minutes of obsessing over whether or not I'd come crashing down, I quickly forgot I was hanging on the ring and SRS. The Dynaglide held albeit a little compressed as others have noted.

After this little experiment, I am rethinking my suspension system...

Is the Marlin Spike Hitch (or whatever you're haning from) off to the left in your picture? Just trying to orient myself.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
    Is the Marlin Spike Hitch (or whatever you're haning from) off to the left in your picture? Just trying to orient myself.
    Yes, it is a marlin spike hitch and it's to the left. Obviously, I have poor photo skills and need more coffee.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    No, your photographic skills are fine. I just asked because in the OP, the other end was photographed. I just noticed the loose tail to the right and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I really like this set-up, but just wonder if that compression is going to be a problem.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    No, your photographic skills are fine. I just asked because in the OP, the other end was photographed. I just noticed the loose tail to the right and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I really like this set-up, but just wonder if that compression is going to be a problem.
    Ah, I see now that the OP did have the opposite end (or photographed from the other side). Sorry about the confusion. I'll still have some more coffee. Yes, the compressive forces are something to be aware of.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I really, really, wanted to like this setup. It's a great system - very secure and easy to adjust. But...I found that I only reduced my suspension weight by one ounce over my web and buckles. And with the Single Ring Suspension I have to deal with separate tree straps and toggles. Yeah, I know I could do an all-in-one setup but then I lose the ability to store the tree straps separately which is also one of the drawbacks to the web and buckles.
    I made a stuff sack for my DIY that has a separate pocket for the straps. I have used this for an all-in-one setup. I made a double-ended stuff sack, then came up about 3"-4" on one end and sewed in from both sides, leaving a gap in the center big enough for some Amsteel to go through. The bag stays on the suspension like a Blackbishop bag. The suspension from that end can stay in the pocket, and the other end can also be put in there as well to segregate the straps from the hammock. All there will be is a small piece of Amsteel going from the far end up to the pocket. The ring for the suspension on the pocket end is inside the pocket by the way. Maybe this would be a compromise that would handle your concerns.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I made a stuff sack for my DIY that has a separate pocket for the straps. I have used this for an all-in-one setup. I made a double-ended stuff sack, then came up about 3"-4" on one end and sewed in from both sides, leaving a gap in the center big enough for some Amsteel to go through. The bag stays on the suspension like a Blackbishop bag. The suspension from that end can stay in the pocket, and the other end can also be put in there as well to segregate the straps from the hammock. All there will be is a small piece of Amsteel going from the far end up to the pocket. The ring for the suspension on the pocket end is inside the pocket by the way. Maybe this would be a compromise that would handle your concerns.
    I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't get longwinded - but this has got me thinking. My clark could be easily adapted to be used similiar to this. Thanks for the idea.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I really like this set-up, but just wonder if that compression is going to be a problem.
    Thinking out loud here...I doubt that the compression will be a problem. Every knot, constrictor and piece of hardware it's looped around severely compresses amsteel. We usually don't see/notice/think about it.

In this use, the amsteel is not even compressed over a sharp angle as happens with a lot of hardware.

No/little abrasion is taking place to cause damage over the long term.

I think this use is good to go as far a potential damage to the amsteel is concerned.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    I agree. I just remade a new set since I went back and revisited how to make a locked brummel and realized I made a mistake. Obviously it wasn't a catastrophic mistake since I didn't hit my concrete floor, but since the loop wasn't properly locked, I could have eventually. I really dig this set-up. It's quick to adjust, it's nearly infinitely adjustable and much simpler to make than whoopies. I hope as time goes by no major shortcomings come up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast