Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think the Yeti and the MamJama should keep you warm down to the 20's. I would not bring a heavy blanket or a yoga mat if it were me...just to much weight. I would make sure you have Nalgean bottle or something to boil water and throw in the hammock with you. Works awesome. Also one thing I do to keep my feet warm is get some To Warmers.

I use these http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Toasti...xp_grid_pt_0_0
    They actually work awesome and don't weigh much at all!!! Stick right to your socks and your toes stay warm all night. I got mine at Sam's club fyi

I use a trash compactor bag inside my backpack for all my sleeping gear and cloths. stick them all in and fold over the top. This helps make sure your gear is not wet when you get there.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    You've gotten some really good advice. I tend to sleep cold and have a 3/4 20 degree under quilt; I found my feet getting cold; just a small piece of the blue foam from Walmart will help a ton and it's also good for sitting on when you take a break. Just be sure not to trim it too small; better larger than you need than smaller than you need.

Also, I believe the hot water in a bottle would work but I think I'd just pick up some of those hand/foot warmers from the sporting good's department at Walmart. If your Walmart is a true super center they might even have the larger ones that are something like 3" by 6". A few of those between your thighs on the main artery will help.

Think multiple layers of non-cotton, not any lessor number of thick layers. A good stocking cap is a must and good wool socks. An extra pair of larger wool socks to pull over the first pair for sleeping will help.

It'll be a great adventure just watch it if you start feeling chilled; those conditions are ideal for the onset of hypothermia. If you're wet and cold hold up, setup camp, make a fire, get warm.

Gideon

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I'd work out the details before venturing into freezing rains. Call me cautious, but things going wrong, being wet in sub freezing temps can get you killed.

Hammock
    1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I knew I'd get some good advice from here. I am planning on putting everything in bags to keep things from getting wet in my pack. I've got my tarp in snake skins and should be able to gt it set-up fairly quickly. Do you think that I need to worry about setting the tarp low to the ground for warmth or will the lack of doors make that not an issue? I guess that's my main question. I would like to keep it high enough to stand under if possible, but I don't want to lose any warmth factor if it's there.

I'm honestly not too worried as I prefer to be on the cool side when I sleep, I'm just trying to keep from getting uncomfortably cold. I actually had not even thought about those heating packs Blaktee mentioned. I'll probably buy a couple of those to stuff in my socks and call it good.

I'll try and take some pictures if I can. After all my thinking and preping, I kind of hope I can get some crazy storm videos. Trip isn't until Saturday, so I have plenty of time to prepare.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    With the hand warmers, make sure not to leave them on exposed skin. We had a scout that got a small burn when using one of those during the night but he had it directly on his skin.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I don't have a ton of experience with cold weather hanging, but my thought is that you don't want you gear hanging out below the bottom of the tarp. Otherwise you loose your wind block.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

My two cents

I have done a lot of experimenting with vapor barriers such as space blankets and would not recommend using one at night with such high humidity. I will however say that you will probably be just fine with the gear you have and if anything an extra layer when going to bed might help. Fleece top and bottoms with long underwear should be fine along with a good hat. For additional heat, a hot water bottle might do the trick. (I may be a bit biased as I am a warm sleeper) I see many people new to winter camping carrying too much extra gear which is understandable but as you do it more and more you will find out what works best for you.

Happy Hanging
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My limited experience with camping in cold and rain is that you want to keep your tarp low. You may not be able to stand up under it, but once the hammock is up do you really want to be standing around when you could be resting in it?

Walmart blue CCF pad cut down is great. They sell for about $5 you can also check your Walmart for the $7 Self Inflating sit pad. I picked one up for my footbox and love it. And a bit of reflectix is handy as well for those cold spots that seem to creep up from time to time.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Here's a thought, depending on your weight concerns.

Keep clean, dry clothes to sleep in. For me, having a clean, dry pair of sweatpants and shirt to change into, along with a clean dry pair of heavy wool socks makes a WORLD of difference in comfort.

Even if it's cold/raining, take the time to dry your feet off completely before you put on the wool socks and climb into your bag.

Don't wear anything wet/damp to sleep in.

Also...make sure to drink very little before bed, and have a good dry snack. The process of digestion produces heat...a lot of folks feel that they sleep better in cold conditions with a full stomach and an empty bladder.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Also...make sure to drink very little before bed, and have a good dry snack. The process of digestion produces heat...a lot of folks feel that they sleep better in cold conditions with a full stomach and an empty bladder.
    This is always the tricky thing for me. I HATE waking up in the middle of the night and having to crawl out of a warm quilt to answer the call of nature, even though it's important to do so both from a comfort standpoint but also so my body isn't heating uneeded fluid.

But, technically, being dehydrated can also make someone colder. Hence, best to find a balance. I often make sure I have plenty to drink the whole day so that I'm fully hydrated, but don't drink anything for the final few hours before going to sleep.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast