Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Adjustable weight down UQ question

Hello brains trust,

I Have a question. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything. Maybe this has been done before, maybe not.

I'll be making my first UQ soon using down from an old sleeping bag. I'm at the stage of trying to figure out how heavy to make it to get the widest range of use. Where I live we get minimum temperatures from about 20f in winter to 40-50f in summer.

So I guess my first question is what do people think would be a good loft height for 3-season use given those temperatures.

My second question is, has anyone ever tried making a down underquilt where you can easily open it to add or remove down, for example by running a small-toothed zip the whole length, then rolling the fabric a little, then press studs. Would this be too messy or something (I still haven't worked with down)? Would it work? What would be the pitfalls and benefits? I guess it seems to me like a good way to be able to adjust how much weight you're carrying for how much insulation you need at any given time of year. Too much fuss and I should just make two or three quilts?

Hey, there's an idea
    Last edited by Caconym; 11-05-2012 at 17:59.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Too much fuss. The first time you work with down you'll understand. That's my 0.02.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Sorry to say, but down is messy to work with and will blow all over if given a chance. Now if you used a synthetic, you could add or subtract insulation easily.

To answer your first question - for temps down to 20*, you'll need 3 or so inches of loft depending on fill weight.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 11-05-2012 at 18:53. Reason: same reasons

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    if you want just one quilt:

make a summer weight and supplement it with a pad/IX/etc.
    make a winter weight and 'open the windows' during summer. (meaning have it not so snug)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Or, consider wider baffles. Fold in the middle and shake the down to the ends. Cooler. More evenly-distributed, warmer. I used to shake down my sleeping bags all the time for warmer nights.

Images
    If you have room in your pack for something a bit bulkier than down, Climashield(CS) synthetic is a good choice, and you can use it in multiple layers. I have a Climashield version of a torso sized warbonnet Yeti. It has one perm layer of CS good to a bit below 50F. When needed, you just add additional layers to take it down however low you need it to go. Came with 3 more layers, probably good to 5 or 10F at least. But no reason a person could not add even more layers if needed. When it warms up, just remove however many layers. Works like a charm.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Whoopies
    Stumbled onto this thread and I have a question:

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you have room in your pack for something a bit bulkier than down, Climashield(CS) synthetic is a good choice, and you can use it in multiple layers. I have a Climashield version of a torso sized warbonnet Yeti. It has one perm layer of CS good to a bit below 50F. When needed, you just add additional layers to take it down however low you need it to go. Came with 3 more layers, probably good to 5 or 10F at least. But no reason a person could not add even more layers if needed. When it warms up, just remove however many layers. Works like a charm.
    So do you mean you just set the additional layers on top of the underquilt between it and the hammock? Or is there some sort of pocket to stuff it in? Because it doesn't sound like it's been sewn on judging from your post... just curious as it seems this Climashield would work wonderfully with my own DIY IX UQ.
    If it ain't broke, gimme a minute.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Wow, thanks for the responses!

Okay, I guess that idea won't work. The climashield one sounds good, but I've got this old down bag (complete with patch job. The previous owner's daughter had apparently lain too close to the fire!) which I ran through the front loader and now lofts up beautifully, that's just begging to be re-purposed in life.

So I'm gonna go with two quilts; I think I'll have enough down. One autumn/spring UQ, and one superlightweight for summer.

Which begs the question, at what temperature do people ditch the pad/quilt and go without any bottom insulation?
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Morelia View Post
    Hello brains trust,

I Have a question. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything. Maybe this has been done before, maybe not.

My second question is, has anyone ever tried making a down underquilt where you can easily open it to add or remove down, I guess it seems to me like a good way to be able to adjust how much weight you're carrying for how much insulation you need at any given time of year.
    Hey, there's an idea
    Yes, I have a '3 season' shell, with a permenantly affixed 'Insultex' and 'Thermoflect' core layer. The end simply is closed with velcro, but opens up to receive the down inner quilt, if needed. The down inner module is Insultex filled with down. The down does not come through the Insultex. There are no baffels, baffels are not needed. Because the Insultex/down module is inside the rip-stop, it is not fragile, and cannot get damaged. And, no there is no condensation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Morelia View Post
    Wow, thanks for the responses!

Okay, I guess that idea won't work. The climashield one sounds good, but I've got this old down bag (complete with patch job. The previous owner's daughter had apparently lain too close to the fire!) which I ran through the front loader and now lofts up beautifully, that's just begging to be re-purposed in life.

So I'm gonna go with two quilts; I think I'll have enough down. One autumn/spring UQ, and one superlightweight for summer.

Which begs the question, at what temperature do people ditch the pad/quilt and go without any bottom insulation?
    Everyone is different but I know for me 70F/21C is about the magic number. I think that is a fairly typical number for most others too and is at least a good place to start until you find your threshold.

I would warn you against skipping an UQ (or some form of under insulation) based on the predicted temps for your trip. If you have summer weather that you know for certain will be warmer than your threshold (like we have for about 5 months in the summer in FL) then you can skip it but if you have any variability in your weather then I would pack something. I have found that the actual temp that we see in the woods can be quite a bit different from the predicted temps for the area.

edit: I will also add that for me the UQ is more important than the TQ. I can go down to about 55F/13C and not need a TQ but I need the UQ to keep me cozy (your body heat creates a layer of heat inside the hammock while you sleep that keeps you warm but if you don't have the UQ then you lose all of your heat)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts