Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly

Just ordered my own Hennessy

Hey guys. Other than spending a few nights in my friends ENO, I'm completely new to hammocking. So, after having the best sleep I have ever had, I had to have my own hammock. So, I just ordered an Explorer Deluxe Zip from Hennessy's odds and ends sale about a week ago. I would have liked to have switched the stock rain fly for the hex fly, but Hennessy said I couldn't if I was ordering from the sale. So, that brings me to my first question.

1. Did I make a mistake by getting the stock rain fly instead of upgrading to the Hex fly? I would like to have something that would keep me dry in pretty bad weather. Now, I'm probably not going to go out if I see a monsoon in the forecast, but I would like to be prepared in case nature turns against me.

2. What are some mods that I can do that would make my hammock lighter and more convenient? I'm hoping not to break the bank on this one. I'm on a pretty tight budget. I've heard a few things online about Whoopie Slings, but I don't know much about them.

3. How should I plan ahead on insulation? I'm probably only going to go down to about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, so I don't need something excessive. I have spent a couple nights in that ENO with just my 20 degree sleeping bag and a 65 degree temperature outside. So, I don't get cold very easily. But I have heard that cold butt syndrome is not pleasant. Again, I'm not looking to unload a lot of money on this and I'm trying to keep it as lightweight as possible.

I hope you all can help me make the change from tenting to hammocking pretty smoothly. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    First off congrats on your own hammock! The Explorer is a fine model. In regards to the original rain fly over the hex, I don't believe it to be a mistake but you may want something larger (and lighter) in the future (many people love the Kelty 12' and I've heard its reasonably priced).

As for lightening your hammock, your suspension would be a real good place to start. Whoopie slings are constrictor style rope from amsteel which is used as a nautical line. I find them much easier and greatly prefer them to the original suspension.

For insulation an underquilt is the best way to go in my opinion. Many choices are available from vendors here from down to synthetics, full to 2/3 and many widths and fabrics. You can DIY a simple IX (from DIYGearsupply.com) or simply use existing pads if you tented (just check on pad extender).

Hope this helps!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Congrats, hope you really like it. I have two Explorer UL models and I still rate them highly after 6 years of hanging with several different highly regarded hammocks. Sure, there are other hammocks that are also way excellent, my I have been happy with my Explorer ULs.

As for insulation, there are any number of excellent UQs you can pick from. I wouldn't know how to tell you to pick one over another. I use JRBs, a brand which was originally designed especially for the HH models, and they work perfectly. With a zip model, my WB Yeti works great also with a foot pad, and saves some weight. There are several other highly rated vendors, I'm sure any of them would be just great. Some how, you will just have to pick one!

Since you have the small stock tarp, with it's weight, bulk and only 2 stake advantages, I will throw out another alternative for you, the controversial HH Super Shelter. start with this thread and then check other threads to read up on it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...854#post851854

The reason I am suggesting that is that, even with the small tarp, you should have no worries about staying dry in bad storms, or worries trying to keep a down UQ safe from sideways rain with that small tarp. Reason being that the HHSS Undercover provides waterproof protection in addition to any tarp you might use. But if you think you might go that route, I suggest you read up on them here at HF. They are not for every body, though they work great for quite a few.

And if some extra bulk is not a deal breaker, don't forget the synthetic UQs offered by Paul at AHE. ( Jarbridge etc ) Both the HHSS and these synthetic quilts will also save you a few bucks. But they won't pack down as small as 800 FP down, though the HHSS open cell foam pad actually compresses down pretty well.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock Fly
    Dragon360- Thanks for all the info. If I have any problems with the stock tarp, I'll check out the Noah's tarp. I own a Kelty backpack, and it's great quality, so I would like to have another Kelty product. As for the whoopsies, I'll do some further research and I'll probably end up switching to those. I like making my own gear, so making an UQ should be an enjoyable project. Thanks for the help.

BillyBob58- I've checked into JRB before, and the risk of getting it wet was a little too much for me. The Super Shelter sounds like a great idea, though. When I work up the money for it, I'll consider it. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Congrats!!! I also just ordered my first Hennessy the other day from their holiday special. So I'll also get a free Cub out of the deal. I have been torn between the JRB Nest or the HHSS. I see pros and cons with both. Also been looking at the HH Double Bubble. Going to check the forums and see if anyone has any opinions on them. I know they can be locked in place with toggles in any newer 6 foot hammock. See what I find out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I also have the Explorer Deluxe...you'll enjoy it!

The stock tarp is ok...you'll probably choose to upgrade it at some point, depending on your camping habits.

For under insulation...for right now, you can get away with just using a pad inside your hammock, under your sleeping bag. Inexpensive, and it works ok for most folks. You could buy two of the blue wally-world pads and cut them up and put them together to ensure that you have sufficient width in the sholders and so they stay in place better. MUCH cheaper than HHSS or UQ's...but more bulky and a bit less comfy. Good interim solution.

• + New Posts