Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Need Tips for Hammocking with Kids

In short - I'm looking for tips on hammocking with kids. See below for questions that you can answer all or part of. Any/all tips are welcome!

Background: I've been camping and backpacking for a number of years and have a solid outdoor foundation. I'm a Scoutmaster for a boy scout troop and generally know how to support youth as they go camping. I have four kids (3 girls and a boy) ages 4-10. They all have at least several years of short backpacking and car camping experience. I started hammocking this year and have a good start with it. I feel comfortable keeping myself warm and happy.

We live in Denver, CO where the 3-season lows in the mountains tend to hover between 25 and 40 in the times of the year I'd take the kids camping.

Request: Starting next season, I'd like to start taking the kids (maybe one or two at a time initially) on some short hammock trips. I feel generally comfortable that I can be successful as I do so but thought I'd reach out to such a knowledgeable community for tips on things that might make the trips safer and more enjoyable (the small things always make a big difference).

Some of the questions are:
    - Fear factor. How have others addressed making sure kids don't get scared in a new environment like this? Try and hang right next to them under one tarp? Battery-operated LED light strand as night lights? Something else? As mentioned, my kids are solid campers, but it's always been in a tent laying right next to mom and dad.
    - Any concerns with buying a full length hammock setup? I'd like something that they can grow into over the years (we're an outdoor family), so I'm good purchasing now and using for many years.
    - Insulation - go with underquilts or are pads generally better for kids as they have less fiddle factor and kids aren't as picky about the comfort?
    - Squirming? Anyone have trouble with kids squirming out of underquilts, pads, etc. and not know what to do?
    - Anything else I missed that's worth pointing out?

Thanks!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Hopefully Detailman will chime in. He hammock camps with his three girls.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have Three boys that I go camping with. 15, 13, 7. The older two i will admit were pretty easy to go with. The younger one fell in love with mine when I had it setup at home. He knew what it felt like and how to get in and out pretty easily. I think that is the key get them familiar with the hammock setup in a safe location in your backyard or in your house if you can.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    I think that is the key get them familiar with the hammock setup in a safe location in your backyard or in your house if you can.
    Good one - I'll do more of that.

What kinds of insulation do they use/prefer? UQ's? Pads? They don't really care as long as they're warm?
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    In my experience kids take straight to hammocks. Getting them in is never a problem. Getting them to settle and stay in can be however, especially if they are cuddlers. I'd start them off close under the same tarp, possibly on the same trees if they are wide enough. Just so that they have a bit of security knowing mom/dad is right beside them. As far as insulation if your kid is a squirmer then a full length UQ is the only way to be sure they stay warm underneath. Look at getting bridge hammocks for them, they may do better with those and the UQs for bridges have next to no fiddle factor, so they are easy to get on right the first time.

P.S. If you have a flipper, like my child, a solid bug net will help to keep them in the hammock and not falling out of it.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    My grandson, age 5 just got his own hammock (GTUL) and I rigged an old sleeping bag into a peapod type thing for him because he wiggles too much for a quilt that he can knock off himself. The 2 year old still sleeps in my hammock with me. We set up a "campground" in the woods behind the house and camped there until he got used to sleeping in his own space, not sharing hammock space with me anymore. I hang close enough that if he needs to, he can touch my hammock (head ends of the hammock on the same tree so they hang touching together) and get my attention. Hope this helps!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    In my experience kids take straight to hammocks. Getting them in is never a problem. Getting them to settle and stay in can be however, especially if they are cuddlers. I'd start them off close under the same tarp, possibly on the same trees if they are wide enough. Just so that they have a bit of security knowing mom/dad is right beside them. As far as insulation if your kid is a squirmer then a full length UQ is the only way to be sure they stay warm underneath. Look at getting bridge hammocks for them, they may do better with those and the UQs for bridges have next to no fiddle factor, so they are easy to get on right the first time.

P.S. If you have a flipper, like my child, a solid bug net will help to keep them in the hammock and not falling out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dink712 View Post
    My grandson, age 5 just got his own hammock (GTUL) and I rigged an old sleeping bag into a peapod type thing for him because he wiggles too much for a quilt that he can knock off himself. The 2 year old still sleeps in my hammock with me. We set up a "campground" in the woods behind the house and camped there until he got used to sleeping in his own space, not sharing hammock space with me anymore. I hang close enough that if he needs to, he can touch my hammock (head ends of the hammock on the same tree so they hang touching together) and get my attention. Hope this helps!!
    Several good tips so far, thanks!!
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a 9 year old that has done a lot of hammock backpacking with me. This past weekend we hung in temps in the mid 20's. I have him in a DIY hammock that is 9ft long. plenty of room to grow into. we have him using a sleeping bag and a thermarest pad. I did put a nalgene bottle with hot water in his sleeping bag. One thing I also do is drape his coat over his ridgeline above his head. This really helps to keep the wind off his face and create a little micro climate.

I like to try to keep us close but he sleeps good either way. It's just fun to be close so we can talk. We each have our own tarp.

I would recommend getting the full size hammock. I would also recommend an under quilt. I am planning on getting my son an under quilt someday just cuz they are more comfortable and I want him to be as comfy as me. :-)

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have 2 girls. (4 & 8) My oldest had just turned 8 this spring when I let her come with me to the Reelfoot hang. She did fine with her own setup, but she is verrry independent. My youngest has gone with me to "Paw Paw's" field and slept with me.(I do not recommend that at all) I knew it wasn't going to be the best nights sleep, but she was adamant about going camping since her sister got to go. My next venture will be to take both at the same time. I would have done that already, but the wife don't/won't camp and the girls enjoy some "just daddy time" I definitely recommend the backyard test.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    I have a 9 year old that has done a lot of hammock backpacking with me. This past weekend we hung in temps in the mid 20's. I have him in a DIY hammock that is 9ft long. plenty of room to grow into. we have him using a sleeping bag and a thermarest pad. I did put a nalgene bottle with hot water in his sleeping bag. One thing I also do is drape his coat over his ridgeline above his head. This really helps to keep the wind off his face and create a little micro climate.

I like to try to keep us close but he sleeps good either way. It's just fun to be close so we can talk. We each have our own tarp.

I would recommend getting the full size hammock. I would also recommend an under quilt. I am planning on getting my son an under quilt someday just cuz they are more comfortable and I want him to be as comfy as me. :-)
    Lots of good insights here, thanks. Nice tip about the bag, coat and proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by tncamper View Post
    My youngest has gone with me to "Paw Paw's" field and slept with me.(I do not recommend that at all) I knew it wasn't going to be the best nights sleep, but she was adamant about going camping since her sister got to go... I definitely recommend the backyard test.
    Good tips. Backyard practice seems like one of the #1 ways to get us rolling. I've done some, but will plan to do lots more in some of the milder winter days (gotta love Denver! snow one day and 70 degree days the next)
    Brian
    Denver, CO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast